Is it possible to plow with a 05 Silverado 1500 or is it too light? If I can plow with it, what size plow should I get? Anyone done it or doing it now with 1500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on how much plowing you are going to do if you are doing just a few driveways ok if you are doing a lot of plowing you will kill the truck use a 7 foot plow

at work we have a 1500 with a 7'2" straight plow. It does ok. It's good for light duty stuff, driveways, small parking lots etc.  If you are plowing anything of substance even half decent size parking lots get a 2500 or 3500. We use this truck mainly as a spare in case another breaks down. There is a BIG difference between the 1500 & the HD trucks. We have a V blade & extending blades on our HD trucks and they are the way to go. It is more money up front but lasts so much better.  Another thing to think of is payload if you are attaching a rear salter to the 1500. It is easy to max out payload on a 1/2 ton truck. 

1 hour ago, maxco said:

at work we have a 1500 with a 7'2" straight plow. It does ok. It's good for light duty stuff, driveways, small parking lots etc.  If you are plowing anything of substance even half decent size parking lots get a 2500 or 3500. We use this truck mainly as a spare in case another breaks down. There is a BIG difference between the 1500 & the HD trucks. We have a V blade & extending blades on our HD trucks and they are the way to go. It is more money up front but lasts so much better.  Another thing to think of is payload if you are attaching a rear salter to the 1500. It is easy to max out payload on a 1/2 ton truck. 

I feel like I should make a joke about it never snowing in St. Catharines, so I'll leave this here:

the-entire-city-shutdown-over-two-inches

Obviously 2" is an exaggeration, (it's not Atlanta), but the folks up north love to laugh when Canadian cities in the south shut down after 25cm. 

Edited by rkj__

This is right in my wheelhouse. I'm on currently on my second 1/2 ton truck with a 7'-6" blade.

I mostly do my own driveway, but have helped out with a couple other "paying customers" over the years. Driveways are no problem for my truck. The few big storms we've had, i just take my time.

Like the others already said, if you plan on doing big parking lots commercially, you will be wasting time with a smaller blade, when a HD with 8-9' blade can do it much faster.

So the short story is, you can definitely plow with a half ton. Just make sure the truck fits the job and you don't try to drive it like a HD. I'd be happy to answer any other questions for you.

Just now, aseibel said:

So the short story is, you can definitely plow with a half ton. Just make sure the truck fits the job

You hit the nail on the head there, as I knew you would. 

My university had a plow on a Chevy Colorado even.  They used it to plow some of the walkways across campus, not the large parking lots.

8 hours ago, 04BlackMagic said:

Is it possible to plow with a 05 Silverado 1500 or is it too light? If I can plow with it, what size plow should I get? Anyone done it or doing it now with 1500?

Nothing wrong with doing it.  Just got to play within the limits of it.  All the big plow manufacturers make half ton specific blades that keep the weight on the front end on the lower side of things. 

Posted (edited)

I plow with a 2 door Blazer.  Had a 4 door before this one. I use a 6'9'' fisher plow and it hasn't let me down yet, even in 18+ inches of snow.  If This POS Blazer can do it, your 1500 can do it easy. 

I would get a 7.5" Fisher SD minute mount 2 plow.  Should work great on a 1500

Blazerplow.thumb.jpg.adc0f1cd42cb39ae9257e98843e2cf91.jpg

Edited by qwank

Thanks everyone for the responses! Completely forgot my idea of plow until today when I had to snowblow my entire driveway lol