Cold weather errors (trailer connection & sensors)

6 minutes ago, Libertas said:

This is happening on mine too.  I’ve noticed the Auto Stop feature is not working either when I have these issues, along with making changes to the settings on the infotainment system.

Pretty frustrating that this wasn’t caught in testing.

The start / stop feature has a lot of parameters to meet before it’s active. If the engine isn’t at temp, or the battery is not charged enough, or the ambient temperature is too low, it won’t activate. On really cold days mine never shuts down.

I too have noticed a few funky things changing on the infotainment, especially the camera views. But that sure doesn’t annoy me like the “trailer disconnected” every 3 seconds though.

They must have put the intermediate or non-final program on mine last week. It’s been a lot better. I was still getting the error yesterday in 5 degree weather but today at 10-15 degrees it was fine. Usually anything below 20 was a guaranteed error-fest. Anyway, I’ll be making an appt. next week to get it done. I was sort of waiting for any number of people at GM or the dealer to call me but I guess they don’t give a rip.

GM has released an updated program to fix this issue on March 1st, any programming done before this was not the final "fix".

Truck is at the dealer now
They said there was a recall for Rear parking assist and SD card navigation problem
Do you have any idea what the official name of the updated fix for the trailer disconnect error is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got the call today from Dealer, I am going in on Friday to get the updated program.  Will update everyone after that.  If they actually are desensitizing the systems and it makes any of systems perform less, I will be taking my truck back in to have them fix that issue as well.  Stay tuned..... 

For all to read:

#PIT5648B: Trailer Disconnected Check Connection Message on DIC Without a Trailer Connected (Reprogram the Trailer Lighting Control Module K68) - (Mar 1, 2019)

With U1D - Advanced Trailering System 

Some customers may comment on a "Trailer Disconnected Check Connection" message being displayed on the DIC without a trailer connected,  message shown below.  In addition to this message, there may also be the following messages depending on the vehicle content:

• Rear Park Assist Off
  • Lane Change Alert System Off
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert Off

This condition is more likely to occur with colder ambient temperatures.

This concern could be caused by the Trailer Lighting Control Module software.

Correction

To correct this concern, reprogram the Trailer Lighting Control Module (K68) with the latest software available in Tis2Web.

Additional information for false trailer detections:

The Trailer Lighting Control Module monitors the trailer tail lamp, trailer Rt stop/turn lamp, and trailer Lt stop/turn lamp circuits to determine if a trailer is connected.  If the Trailer Lighting Control Module detects enough of a load on any one of these circuits, it may determine that a trailer has been connected.  If moisture/corrosions/etc. gets into either the trailer receptacle, or the Trailer Lighting Control Module connector, or if anything is left plugged into the trailer receptacle, like trailer adapters with built in test-LEDs, it may cause the module to think that a trailer is connected when there actually is not.

• Inspect and remove anything that has been left plugged into the trailer receptacle, such as a trailer adapter plug. 
  • Inspect the following areas for any moisture, corrosion, etc.:

The 7-way / 4-way trailer receptacle X88, located at the rear bumper.  

The chassis harness connector X1 that plugs into the trailer receptacle X88.

The Trailer Lighting Control Module K68 connector.

Clean and dry, repair and/or replace any connection issues which have moisture/corrosion present.  

This PI maybe converted to a bulletin shortly.

• Thanks 1

The feature I would expect to no longer work might be the trailer disconnected alarm...

I scheduled an appt with my dealer to have the programming done... not too hopeful because the last few times it has been in for this they either leave it inside where it is warm or it hasn’t been cold enough. The service tech said that if their scan didn’t find anything they wouldn’t do anything to it. I pointed out that this isn’t a code issue and could they just right the number down from the above and check that specifically. I can even show them a video of it failing. He said that doesn’t matter, no codes in his fancy computer equals no work done unless I pay for it. I had to argue with the guy for him to even bother writing the PIT number above down for the techs to look at. 

GM is the worst. Everyone I talk to about this truck gets an earful about how terrible this has been. Even though GM probably won’t notice the sales difference I personally swayed two people to buy a new Ford instead of this GMC specifically because of how this has been handled. 

That is BS, there is a update that is free and covered under warranty. I had mine done today. Mine had for some reason been working ok so I saw no difference. This update PIT 5648B is an update to the update PIT 5648A. The only difference is a bit of programming to ignore amperage on the trailering system. 

On 3/4/2019 at 6:28 PM, Brandon Gilbert said:

Opened my case, meanwhile im paying for a car to sit at the dealership and be torn apart and told thats normal.  1100 miles....keep it classy GM/Chevy

On 3/4/2019 at 7:57 PM, Denali’19 said:

Unfortunately, A manufacturer is never going to just buy you out.  You will have to get a lawyer and press the issue under lemon law, if your particular case qualifies for it.  I live in CT where the lemon law is two years or 24,000 miles.  “A reasonable number of attempts to fix the same problem”, which I’m told is four.  The “senior advisor” said they “never attempted” for fix it because there was no fix.  Which is B.S.  You can’t just tell someone it’s broke, we can’t fix it, wait MONTHS, too bad, so sad.  They will lose in the end.  They will eventually have to buy the truck back, minus some formula for mileage AND pay for my lawyer fees (part of the law).  It doesn’t happen overnight, but it will happen.  It’s really too bad.  This is my first GMC, it’s a beautiful truck and I love it otherwise, but this has been a horrible experience!!

I don’t even see how this is even a software issue. This only happens in real cold temps.  How do cold temps affect software or amps?  This sounds like hardware issue.  When its cold, things contract, when hot, they expand.  It’s seems like a connection issue.  When it gets real cold, a connection somewhere is probably contracting and squeezing the connection to screws with the contacts which send the signal wether or not a trailer is connected.  When the temps are warmer, the connection expands to normal and the contacts are seated correctly again and we get no warning pop ups.  This “fix” almost seems like they are disabling something in the software so the pop ups will stop popping up.  This actually doesn’t fix anything, only hides the problem.  Only my theory, but makes sense, no?