Cold weather errors (trailer connection & sensors)

28 minutes ago, Denali’19 said:

I don’t even see how this is even a software issue. This only happens in real cold temps.  How do cold temps affect software or amps?  This sounds like hardware issue.  When its cold, things contract, when hot, they expand.  It’s seems like a connection issue.  When it gets real cold, a connection somewhere is probably contracting and squeezing the connection to screws with the contacts which send the signal wether or not a trailer is connected.  When the temps are warmer, the connection expands to normal and the contacts are seated correctly again and we get no warning pop ups.  This “fix” almost seems like they are disabling something in the software so the pop ups will stop popping up.  This actually doesn’t fix anything, only hides the problem.  Only my theory, but makes sense, no?

I agree. My gut feeling from the start was that maybe some solder joints or another connection within the “Trailer Control Module” was opening up in the extreme cold and causing these random errors.

I don’t want to be the guy to continue to complain after a fix has been offered though, so I’ll take the update and run. It’s been a long winter with this crap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flowbytwo said:

The feature I would expect to no longer work might be the trailer disconnected alarm...

I scheduled an appt with my dealer to have the programming done... not too hopeful because the last few times it has been in for this they either leave it inside where it is warm or it hasn’t been cold enough. The service tech said that if their scan didn’t find anything they wouldn’t do anything to it. I pointed out that this isn’t a code issue and could they just right the number down from the above and check that specifically. I can even show them a video of it failing. He said that doesn’t matter, no codes in his fancy computer equals no work done unless I pay for it. I had to argue with the guy for him to even bother writing the PIT number above down for the techs to look at. 

GM is the worst. Everyone I talk to about this truck gets an earful about how terrible this has been. Even though GM probably won’t notice the sales difference I personally swayed two people to buy a new Ford instead of this GMC specifically because of how this has been handled. 

That’s bullshit.  You report the issue, a tech always gets .2 hrs for diag, even if no problem found.  The least they can do is update your programming.  Sounds like the service department at that dealership sucks.  I would find another dealership AND complain to GM on that dealership.

Most dealerships around my area go out of their way to help their customers, not turn them away.

So now we get their “fix”.  Temps in CT are going up (with the exception of the past few days), spring will be here and we’ll have to wait until next winter to see if it’s really works!!  

Just an update with the Lawyer.  After sending his para legal all my info on the truck, repair invoices, sales paperwork, etc., he tells me he thinks I wouldn’t win because there is now supposedly a fix.  I asked, even though beginning in November, it’s been there four times and all four time they could not fix it?  (CT law is four times). He said he agreed with me, but now that there is a fix, he thinks the judge would side with them.  However, he did say he doesn’t do much Lemon Law and referred me to another Lawyer saying the other lawyer is much more experienced in Lemon law and might disagree with him and to give him a call.  I will give it a shot and call him tomorrow.  If he agrees with the first lawyer, that really sucks!!  It would be such B.S. if a dealer/manufacturer can just tell you they don’t have a fix and you are stuck to deal with it for MONTHS!!

What you have to keep in mind is they are not fixing the problem, they are covering it up with software so to don’t realize it’s still screwed up. PIT 5648B just covers it up. It sucks that they can get away with this. Just remember when it gets cold again, we have to band together for a class action because them lemon law Weill not apply after a year. 

33 minutes ago, Chevy sad said:

What you have to keep in mind is they are not fixing the problem, they are covering it up with software so to don’t realize it’s still screwed up. PIT 5648B just covers it up. It sucks that they can get away with this. Just remember when it gets cold again, we have to band together for a class action because them lemon law Weill not apply after a year. 

In CT Lemon Law is two years or 24,000 miles.....

15 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

I agree. My gut feeling from the start was that maybe some solder joints or another connection within the “Trailer Control Module” was opening up in the extreme cold and causing these random errors.

I don’t want to be the guy to continue to complain after a fix has been offered though, so I’ll take the update and run. It’s been a long winter with this crap.

Agreed.  I'd be happy to have a software fix...If they need more time to lock down an exact hardware cause, that's okay with me......

Something tells me a hardware fix will never come.  The complaints will stop because nothing is popping up and that will be the end of it because they “fixed” it....[emoji1361]
I think it would be in their best interest to find the root cause of the issue. Whether they do this or not, remains to be seen. If it's a fairly simple or straight forward remedy, I don't see why they wouldn't issue a recall or TSB to have the issue corrected.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Wow...lawyers and class actions?  Good god.  First year vehicles are bound to have issues.  Unfortunately, the customers that are the early adopters get to find them out.  Buy the second year next time. 

That said...

Bulletin is now a field service update.  85,341 trucks will be tagged in GM's system for this.  THIS IS NOT A RECALL.  Reprogram must be done within bumper to bumper warranty to be covered at no cost.  It would most likely be done whenever you have an oil change (if you are issue free) or if you have an issue, make an appointment.   

Service Update N192213550 – Trailer Integration Module Software Error

Release Date:

March 2019

Attention:

This service update includes vehicles in dealer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealership for any reason. This bulletin will expire at the end of the involved vehicle’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty period.

Silverado 1500 (New Model) U1D Indicator -Trailer Information

Sierra 1500 (New Model) U1D Indicator -Trailer Information

Involved vehicles are marked "open" on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.

Condition

Certain 2019 model year Chevrolet Silverado and 2019 model year GMC Sierra vehicles may have a condition where the instrument panel cluster displays that a trailer is connected or disconnected when there is no trailer attached to the vehicle.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the trailer lighting control module.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will be towing a trailer approximately 1000 miles round-trip in cold conditions next week
Hopefully everything goes well
I will report my results when I return

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New dude, You must not have 70k tied up in a new truck. You sound like a dealer or GM employee. We are suppose to feel sorry for GM while we take massive losses on our trucks because they made mistakes and only cover them up with software? Fix the short and everyone will be happy........

I bet they know what the problem is by now and have decided to cover it up so buyers won’t know about the problem all due to cost of the real fix. They will make changes on new production or 2020’s.

i really like my truck, but I want a reliable one that holds value. Fixing it is by far the best answer. 

• Like 2

If the Software Update is applied and the Trailer Connect/Disconnect/Alarm System works properly and the spurious Trailer Disconnection phenom does not show it's ugly head, I would

say that GM fixed the properly. If the problem still exists, then the owners of the affected trucks need to speak up.

1 hour ago, Opiedeegs said:

I will be towing a trailer approximately 1000 miles round-trip in cold conditions next week
Hopefully everything goes well
I will report my results when I return

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put your truck thru the Rough 'n' Tough and let us know how the Trailer System works.

So Roczcqg, your saying if the adjustment  in the software fixes the alerts it’s ok? Let’s put this in perspective, you at abc tire to buy a set of awesome AT tires. The shop says, hey one of them had a leak and we patched it. Good as new, Are you ok with that or do you want a replacement? 

Or, your cruisen down the road haulin  your Razr and family for a weekend in the hills and the trailer brake fuse blows cause GM never fixed the short in the system. You lost control and a family member in the accident. I wonder how you would feel about the software fix then.