Remote starting problem

I have a 2015 2500hd. Ltz/z71.  Diesel..   Lately with cold weather when using remote start. Will only try to start. Like if you just hitting key to turn over a little.  It will keep doing this until I unlock truck and put key in and start truck.  Does this only when left overnight or long periods.  Remote works if done in short time after running..   Asked dealer.. Didn't know until I take it in.   Any suggestions?   Thanks.  Ron.

Remote start won't work if there is any CEL/MIL active.

Also won't work if the hood is not closed, or if the key is in the ignition. 

Glowplug failure will set a CEL/MIL and cause no remote start.   

When the key is used after the remote doesn't work, is the light on?

Its not the remote battery. 

Might be a CEL/MIL, but I doubt it - as the remote start would probably not make any attempt. 

Hood switch problem - remote start would not make any attempt to start. 

Any system that would disable the remote start would prevent the starter from engaging. If the starter is engaging, then it is not a "computer" issue. 

If it only happens when its real cold out, I would strongly suspect the battery. 

The dealer will not help you in any way without receiving monetary compensation, and you can not blame them for that. They are there to make money, not to help you out for free. 

I would take the rig to a local auto parts store, and ask them to test the battery (free). 

If the battery is bad (probably is), then I would got to Walmart and have them install some "Value Power" batteries. Cheap, and pretty good batteries. If you are rich, get some Optima batteries. 

Be sure to 'separate' the batteries so they are load tested individually.

If one needs replacing, replace them both.

(Find another job for, or sell, the one good one - if that's how things turn out)

• Like 1

? On the dual battery setup system of the diesel trucks....Is one battery more dominate than the other for certain/separate circuitry component features ? Or are they combined to handle it all ?

Like with this question for example; One for the remote start system, lights, all defrosts or AC if hot out, etc... and the other handles normal start-ups with the key, dash circuitry and whatever else might be on that circuit + whatever's been left on by the driver switch wise.