USB not being read in new style 2019 LTZ

The USB stick I was using in my 2018 Silverado, my 2016 C7, and 2016 Envision will not read properly.  It cannot see the albums so only a few random songs are able to be played.  What is the deal?  Any TSBs, or software updates?  If it worked in other GM vehicles it should be fine here.  Just picked up truck on Wed - nice ride, but this is really irritating.  

Thanks for your help

On 1/7/2019 at 8:15 PM, mf67gto said:

The USB stick I was using in my 2018 Silverado, my 2016 C7, and 2016 Envision will not read properly.  It cannot see the albums so only a few random songs are able to be played.  What is the deal?  Any TSBs, or software updates?  If it worked in other GM vehicles it should be fine here.  Just picked up truck on Wed - nice ride, but this is really irritating.  

Thanks for your help

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. To clarify, have you addressed this USB stick compatibility issue with your dealership? Since we’re not trained technicians, we wouldn’t be able to provide technical assistance over this platform. Please keep us update if and when you resolve this concern via private message. We hope to hear from you soon.   

Anthony J.

Fortunately my dealership had a company (Chevy) rep there last night for a new product review and he had just seen this on another customer's Silverado.  I believe it may impact more than just trucks.  Bottom line is the new Mylink radios cannot read wma (Windows Media Audio)  files as all the other vehicles can from previous years.  They will only read mp3 files and they are backward compatible.  He ran some conversion plan to convert mine to mp3 and all is well.  Have not tried it in my other vehicles  but assume they should be fine.  All new CDs ripped or music stored needs to be in mp3 format.  If you do it on a windows computer during the "ripping process" you go to rip settings on top bar, click on format, a drop down menu cones down and you select mp3 and you are good to go. Hope this helps others.

Mp3 is the defacto standard. It seems that many manufacturers are getting away from some of th manufacturer specific formats and using the generic fits all mp3. My 19 SLT does a better job than the 16 I had which would arbitrarily duplicate certain songs. 

Flac also works on mine, the manual has a pretty clear list in it of what is supported.

What I'm interested in are the limits.. how big, how many, etc.  I plugged in a 256GB stick pretty loaded and

it seemed to work just fine although indexing took a long time.  A shame since I play by folder and indexing

isn't useful to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I finally looked it up.  Page 22 of the "2019 Infotainment" Guide in your manual bundle.

On the my.chevrolet.com site I found the main manual but not Infotainment otherwise I'd provide a link. :rolleyes:

Nothing mentioned about size limits or filesystem types supported that I recall, but file types are enumerated clearly.  Flac, mp3, aac, ogg, and 3gp

I've been sticking with FAT32 filesystem and it works fine.

I went for the Samsung FIT Plus 256GB and it's pretty low profile.  It stays plugged into the inner console box USB and it's not in any danger of getting broken off.  Looks like the last gen had the console box ports off the the side where they weren't in the way like ours. :smash:

IMG_7407s.jpeg

IMG_7406.jpg

Edited by Daverado