Looking For Alternative Oil Filter To PF 48E

I would like to find other oil filters for my 2012 5.3 L .

Preferably longer.

Wix 57045? About 1 - 1/2 " longer.

Or something comparable.

Has any body used a longer filter.

:)

I use a WIX 10255 XP or NAPA equivalent. The XP is a bit longer than the standard WL 10255 version of the PF 63. Has the 22 psi relief as well. Roughly .375 longer give or take. 

You looking for more surface area or more capacity? 

Any other filters?

[emoji4]

I use Mobil1 Extended performance M1-212A or Amsoil sometimes when I just happpen to need an oil change while visiting 4X4 shop.

Sent from above

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

More filter media.

Length is not an issue, I don't off road.

A filter that hangs down past the oil pan would be OK.

Of course the easy answer is a remote twin filter setup with a sandwich plate. However I believe you are a evangelizer of K.I.S.S.

That said, let me dig around in my books and see what I can find. 

Okay I looked anyway.

57045 is the longest in this thread pitch and diameter. 12-15 psi relief 4.828" long

100255 4.776" long 22 psi relief. This one is WIX replacement for the AC Delco PF63 spec wise. This is the one I use. 

AC Delco PF48 or WIX 57060 3.48" long 12 psi relief. Your OEM

A PF64 sized filter with a 22 psi relief is WL10290  Just a thought for those who want the relief upgrade in a PF48 size. (OEM on Corvette 376 CID) Allows use of a sandwich plate for a cooler on the pickups if the plate in not more than 1" thick. 

All are 21 micron nominal with identical beta ratios. All are available in XP (WIX) or Platinum (NAPA) synthetic media. 

GM upped the relief pressure in response to AFM issues. 

If you want more than that you need a remote system.

:seeya:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 1:42 PM, diyer2 said:

I would like to find other oil filters for my 2012 5.3 L .

Preferably longer.

Has any body used a longer filter.

I usually run the K&N HP2011 with a 1" nut welded to the bottom or the Mobil M1-212.  All the filters mentioned will work just fine.

I've read and it seems true in my experience, that the oil pressure is slightly lower when using the Mobil One filter (which is on now) versus the K&N as the media is slightly more effective/restrictive.  It's been written that both are made by Champion Labs.

12 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Thanks Grumpy.

I have a 2012 Sierra.

The higher psi shouldn't be an issue on my truck would it?

Does is have cylinder deactivation? Higher pressure means it spends less time in by-pass. GM believes this means cleaner oil and less AFM issues. That is my understanding anyway. You decide if that seems right to you. Let me know your thoughts on it. Personally I run the higher bypass pressure filters as I said earlier.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 7:49 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Does is have cylinder deactivation? Higher pressure means it spends less time in by-pass. GM believes this means cleaner oil and less AFM issues. That is my understanding anyway. You decide if that seems right to you. Let me know your thoughts on it. Personally I run the higher bypass pressure filters as I said earlier.  

Sorry Grump.

Didn't see this till now.

My cylinder deactivation is never engaged due to running the trans in manual all the time.

My driving is local so no highway.

If I were to use the highway I would use my Range device.

I bought 6 Wix 57045 oil filters to try with my new oil, Castrol GTX Magnatec full synthetic 5 W 30 on my next oil change.