Inverter that is in our GM's

Wondering if anyone has had the experience I have several times in my 3500

The 110 socket is such low amp that is is useless except for laptop or similar.

I know that was its design so don't jump on me!  BUT I could not plug in a very small coffee pot last night when our house power was out.  Had the same problem with a portable air pump and a small vac...   My thought is to replace the inverter,  Anyone had this thought? Or done this mod?   Would be an easy update IF the inverter was in a accessible spot?

Thoughts?

Stock outlet is only 1.25 amps. That's not enough to run anything with a motor larger than an air mattress pump. I have successfully ran my coleman air pump though.

If you need serious amperage for a mobile coffee maker, you should probably just install your own inverter rated for the proper amperage. And run properly sized cables directly from the battery. I'm guessing the wires going to the built-in outlet are not sized accordingly. You would want something like 8 ga or bigger for 25 amps on DC, according to a chart I found on google.

I thought the stock one was 400w, which seems typical for other manufacturers’ 110v outlets. I thought about wiring a higher wattage one into a spare 7-pin plug to use on my trailer or gooseneck outlet. Don’t really need it at the moment, was just an idea.

I doubt it is 400w though it might be,

I am just like you was thinking about only emergency situations.  And was only letting my mind wander.   But as usual...

Well just the thought

It was fleeting....  Now it's gone

I believe it’s only 150w capacity after looking into it. During my quest for a truck, I found that quite a few other manufacturers offer 400w outlets, some even in the bed. I assumed ours was, too. In the big picture, 400w still isn’t that much at just over 3a, barely enough for a welder. 

Certainly a feature that I wouldn’t let sway me from purchasing one truck over another, but it’s still a little weak...

2 hours ago, Icutmetl said:

I believe it’s only 150w capacity after looking into it. During my quest for a truck, I found that quite a few other manufacturers offer 400w outlets, some even in the bed. I assumed ours was, too. In the big picture, 400w still isn’t that much at just over 3a, barely enough for a welder. 

Certainly a feature that I wouldn’t let sway me from purchasing one truck over another, but it’s still a little weak...

Exactly!!

And that was my point,  I simply went to plug in a freaking coffee pot!!   Not a Welder...   Oh well I guess they were thinking about an in truck office when the installed it.  But one better not need a pencil sharpener!!