Trail Boss Towing

I'm looking at getting a LT Trail Boss and the specs are 9500lbs towing. I'm wanting to pair it with a 6800lb (dry) grand design travel trailer (2670mk model). It'll just be wifey and I and we'll take it out probably 6-8 times a year for less than 1 week runs, mostly in the southeast, so I don't think we'll have load/towing issues. Interested in anyone's feedback, especially those who currently or plan to tow with their Trail Boss. Thanks in advance.

Edited by UGADawgs

Dont get close to your tow limits.   My opinion, the biggest issue you will face is wheelbase to trailer length.   A 32’ trailer will take you for a ride in the wind, even with a good setup.   The taller your truck (2 inch factory lift) the worse it handles.  That is one very nice trailer though, you guys will enjoy it!

You will definitely need a high quality weight dist hitch with sway control and I’d also recommend a transmission temp monitoring device.  When you tow, you might have to keep it in a lower gear to keep it from hunting in overdrive.  Also, have fun towing your 32’ trailer into gas stations every 2 hours...just kidding, it’s a huge PITA.  

To know what you can tow check some of these things:

- gvwr of your trailer

- axle weight ratings of trailer

- tounge weight

- the class of your hitch receiver and weight rating

-gvwr of your truck

-gvwr of your truck

everything has to match and have some wiggle room.  One weak link can be fatal to you or people driving by you. 

expecting to drive your trailer 100% dry is not reasonable.  You won’t always have access to dump stations and you will always carry hundreds of pounds of stuff when traveling.  Make sure your truck can tow your trailer when it’s loaded to the max, like max out gray, black, and fresh water tanks, max propane, clothes and food, etc.   

fun fact, a lot camper trailers are over their own axle weight limits when filled up for some boon-docking.  I would avoid those trailers like the plague.

If it were me, I’d be shopping under 28ft or even 24ft.  32’ is absolutely massive for two people.   

Hey @greatmizzou - thanks for the detailed reply!!!

Yeah, already considering the Hensley or ProPride hitch. Even though it's like $2k, a few ppl I know swear by them. 

At 10mpg, we should be to run 3-4hrs between fueling. Our bladders don't last that long on road trips. Definitely considering carrying a 5gals gas can for road trips.

The max loaded weight rating of the 2670mk is 8500. There isn't much boondocking options in the southeast and I think we'd be at campgrounds unless overnighting in a Walmart lot, hah. 

We've looked at the 24-28' units but fear we'll feel like they are too small within the first year of ownership. Looked at 2250rk & 2600rb. 

Also, don't want HD or diesel truck that only tows 6-8 trips a year. 

Looking at getting TB late spring and TT end of year. Plenty of time to keep doing research. 

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, Mmachado83 said:

@UGADawgs hi there, any update on this? Did you end up purchasing the trail boss? Just wondering how that worked out for you. Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

Bought a LTZ Z71. See update in this other thread:

Still don't have a travel trailer yet. 

Very nice.  Glad you are considering a shorter trailer.  All that length can be good for a full family, but for two of you, you will never regret a 24' or less long trailer.  Much more comfortable to tow long distances.  

1 hour ago, teyaroch said:

Very nice.  Glad you are considering a shorter trailer.  All that length can be good for a full family, but for two of you, you will never regret a 24' or less long trailer.  Much more comfortable to tow long distances.  

Yeah, thinking about this one at the moment.

2250rk

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2020/travel-trailer/imagine/floorplans/2250rk

Crazy that they are 22' inside and 27' outside.

Specifications

UVW1
5497 lbs
Hitch Weight1
515 lbs
GVWR
6995 lbs
Length2
27' 11"
Height
11' 0"
Axle Rating