Adding Fog Lights - Location/Setup Suggestions

On 1/19/2019 at 3:02 PM, TommyTSquared said:

This does look good.

And speaking of tow hooks, it looks like on the header image (top image of all the trucks) on this site there are lights that are right next to where the tow hooks are. Will do some digging on that, and if anyone has any information on how those are in those pictures that would be appreciated. I'd rather keep the hooks if that's an actual viable option.

fff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 7:06 AM, brholtz02 said:

I removed the tow hooks and mounted some flush mount Rigid lights.  Ran the wire through the firewall and mounted the switch in the overhead.

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

do you have any additional info, pictures, etc on how you did this?  i like the location you used, since buying an oem bumper with the cutouts can get expensive.  i'd love to do this, and be able to use the wiring harness that is offered online, that when your headlights are on, the fogs are as well.  trying to find aftermarket lights, to fit in that location, that use the oem style plug is not easy.  all help is greatly apprecitated! 

1 minute ago, silverado2k18 said:

do you have any additional info, pictures, etc on how you did this?  i like the location you used, since buying an oem bumper with the cutouts can get expensive.  i'd love to do this, and be able to use the wiring harness that is offered online, that when your headlights are on, the fogs are as well.  trying to find aftermarket lights, to fit in that location, that use the oem style plug is not easy.  all help is greatly apprecitated! 

a step by step on this, would also be a great topic.

14 minutes ago, silverado2k18 said:

a step by step on this, would also be a great topic.

I did it two years ago, so I don't remember step by step.

Basically.... I removed the tow hooks

cut the air dam so the lights would fit

drilled holes for mounting screws

mounted lights with an up/down bracket from rigid, used a piece of aluminum on backside of air dam for a little extra strength,                          even with the up/down

bracket I had to shim the bottom to get a good alignment ( i used a piece of rubber)

mounted relay near battery and ran the wire through the firewall through the access hole neat the steering knuckle. (found it on  

youtube)

removed a-pillar and overhead (also youtube) loosened headliner and ran wire.

mounted the Rigid switch in the overhead.

Edited by brholtz02
typo

15 minutes ago, brholtz02 said:

I did it two years ago, so I don't remember step by step.

Basically.... I removed the tow hooks

cut the air dam so the lights would fit

drilled holes for mounting screws

mounted lights with an up/down bracket from rigid, used a piece of aluminum on backside of air dam for a little extra strength,                          even with the up/down

bracket I had to shim the bottom to get a good alignment ( i used a piece of rubber)

mounted relay near battery and ran the wire through the firewall through the access hole neat the steering knuckle. (found it on  

youtube)

removed a-pillar and overhead (also youtube) loosened headliner and ran wire.

mounted the Rigid switch in the overhead.

still working good?  my concern with getting aftermarket lights, is blinding the oncoming driver (i dont want to do that)

Has anyone done a bumper swap and adding factory fogs to their truck? I found a factory bumper on the cheap for $100 and am going to embark on doing the swap in a few months when it gets warmer, im hoping the mount points are there under the existing no fog light bumper. Any help anyone?

4 hours ago, GRRW00F said:

Has anyone done a bumper swap and adding factory fogs to their truck? I found a factory bumper on the cheap for $100 and am going to embark on doing the swap in a few months when it gets warmer, im hoping the mount points are there under the existing no fog light bumper. Any help anyone?

this is what i would actually like to do.

any help with part numbers needed to do the complete swap?

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 4:52 PM, silverado2k18 said:

this is what i would actually like to do.

any help with part numbers needed to do the complete swap?

I did the swap but no luck on wiring harness 

• 1 year later...
On 6/25/2021 at 12:43 PM, victor2018 said:

sorry to keep pushing the thread but looking into putting oem bumper with holes for fogs with the oem switch. Does the oem foglight switch plug right in? and how would i wire the fogs?

I have a 2017 Silverado WT.  I swapped out the painted bumpers with chrome, and the front bumper that I found had the fog lights.  The bumper came with the lights and the bumper harness, but there is no harness on the truck if it did not come with factory fogs.  I built a harness with a relay for the lights.  I swapped out the light switch with one that has the fog light switch.  The Harness DR. helped me out with the additional wires that I needed to add between the switch and the BCM.  White Auto and Media Services (WAMS) provided the means to update the BCM programming to allow the fogs to work.  I even have the indicator on the instrument display.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

WOW!!!!  I was looking to add fog lights to my 2018 Chevy Silverado LT and was going to purchase the bumper with the fog light already installed.  The cost was 1700 to remove old bumper and install new one.  Then I saw this post.  I gotta say that I like this look a lot better.  I removed the tow hooks and bought flush lights on Amazon and wow!!!!  I connected the lights to the marker lights and they work great.  I mounted the switch down by the parking brake.  I didn't want to drill any holes, so i used a super strong 2 sided tape and it works great.  By the way, I only spent 35 dollars for the lights on Amazon. I think the fog lights look awesome with the lighted bug deflector.  I even added the running boards and rear bumper lights on the steps.  Here are the pictures of my Silverado.  I basically turned my LT into a LTZ with all my upgrades at minimal cost.  I am pretty darn happy with this truck.  I get pulled over a lot by other Silverado owners asking questions.   I may replace the back glass with one with slider.  I added leather seat covers and installed a safe under the center console.  I also installed a wireless phone charger on the center console.  I also may take off the 17 inch wheels and install 20 inch.  What do you guys think?20220718_204946.thumb.jpg.175cfcf149720fd9c1c70079d92654b4.jpg

20220718_164203.jpg

20220718_164256.jpg

20220718_204336.jpg

20220718_204310.jpg

20220718_204503.jpg

20220718_204422.jpg

20220718_204534.jpg

Edited by K Austin
Added new photos