LT Max Tow vs LT Z71 vs Trail Boss

Okay, so as the title states, I'm comparing these three trim/options. 

I'm doing it in thoughts of potentially towing a 6800 lb travel trailer and am comparing the options.

Using the Chevy build tool, it doesn't make sense that the LT Max tow is missing the tranny cooler and the LT Trail Boss is missing the tranny and oil coolers when the LT Z71 has both.

Is the tool not 100% ??? 

Does the LT Z71 really have both coolers and the LT Trail Boss doesn't ???

Could those be added to the LT Trail Boss after delivery ???

LT Max Tow/Trailering includes:

Automatic locking rear differential
Enhanced cooling radiator
Revised shock tuning
Heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
9.76" rear axle
3.42 axle ratio
265/65-18 AS/AT (31.5")
Single exhaust
(no mention of aux tranny cooler)

LT Z71 with Advanced Trailering includes:

External auxiliary transmission oil cooler

External engine oil cooler

High-capacity air filter
Skid plates
3.23 axle ratio
265/65-18 AS/AT (31.5")
Dual exhaust

LT Trail Boss with Advanced Trailering includes:
High-capacity air filter
Skid plates
3.23 axle ratio
275/65-18 MT (32.5")
Dual exhaust
(no mention of aux engine oil cooler)

There’s a lot of weird equipment selections in these trucks compared to last generation. I was surprised that the LT doesn’t have a two speed transfer case unless you get the Z71. So far as I know all 4WD trucks before 2019 had the 4 low option. My 2016 did and it was stripped.

I guess if I could say anything, you really have to decide what’s important. You’re looking at a lot of different trucks that will do better at different things. 

As you probably know you can’t get both max trailering and Z71 no matter how much you spend. I went with the max trailering on my LTZ as I figured it would be a lot harder to change gearing than it would be to change shocks and some skid plates.

In the LT and RST the Z71 gets you a lot more stuff than it would in the LTZ with the 6.2, including the dual exhaust and two speed transfer case.

If I were buying an LT or RST, I’d go Z71 for that stuff alone. 

If I really had something really big to tow, LTZ 6.2 NHT all day.

The RST is a sharp looking truck and probably a logical step in between the two trims. It is better equipped than the LT and offers some things like Bose which you can’t get on the LT. I would be wary of the LT unless it’s loaded up as in base form they don’t really get much. From my experience driving one for a weekend, the base stereo and backup cameras are not so good, and I think even the push button start is optional on LT, not standard. They really took out a lot of stuff on the LT as compared to years past.

Trail Boss is obviously more of an off roader and less of a “tow-er”... as I recall it’s trailer ratings are quite a bit lower than what you could equip the other trims to tow.

Just my opinions of course.

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

I'm doing it in thoughts of potentially towing a 6800 lb travel trailer and am comparing the options.

First of all, you are definitely going to want the 3.42 gears for towing. which may come standard or may be an option on the different trims. My LT Z-71 came with it, but that's 2015. Don't get any taller tires than you need, as taller tires effectively reduce your axle ratio, meaning less torque for towing.

Second- your 6800 lb travel trailer, is that dry/empty weight or full? Don't forget the weight of cargo, food, beer, water, bikes, the family, the dog, etc. That is pushing the top end of what a half ton can pull. If you are looking into serious cross country towing, seriously consider a 2500.

At least the Max Tow give you a little more rear axle capacity, which you will probably need for that trailer.

I would also remove the Trail Boss from consideration for what you want to do. 

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Using the Chevy build tool, it doesn't make sense that the LT Max tow is missing the tranny cooler and the LT Trail Boss is missing the tranny and oil coolers when the LT Z71 has both.

Is the tool not 100% ??? 

Does the LT Z71 really have both coolers and the LT Trail Boss doesn't ???

Could those be added to the LT Trail Boss after delivery ???

LT Max Tow/Trailering includes:

Revised shock tuning
9.76" rear axle
3.42 axle ratio
265/65-18 AS/AT (31.5")
Single exhaust

LT Z71 with Advanced Trailering includes:

External auxiliary transmission oil cooler

External engine oil cooler

High-capacity air filter
Skid plates
3.23 axle ratio
265/65-18 AS/AT (31.5")
Dual exhaust

LT Trail Boss with Advanced Trailering includes:
High-capacity air filter
Skid plates
3.23 axle ratio
275/65-18 MT (32.5")
Dual exhaust
(no mention of aux engine oil cooler)

5 hours ago, Booger T said:

My Trail Boss LT has push button start and auxiliary external transmission oil cooler, doesn't say anything about engine oil cooler on build sheet.

IMG_0009 trans cool.jpg

The Trailboss comes standard with the engine cooler and trans cooler.  Both are only available on the LT and RST with the 5.3L V8 motor.  Also, the Trail Boss can tow a maximum of 9500 lbs.  Any other questions, let me know

20190123_234417.jpg

Edited by z1boss
  • Like 1

So last night after dinner we stopped at the dealer after hours and saw a Cajun Red RST with the 20" wheels.

Wifey said, "I want this one!!!". haha! It was really gorgeous looking.

I am concerned the 9500lb towing limit would be close with a 6800lb dry trailer and maybe going with Max Tow would solve it. For only camping 6-8x a year, maybe 1-2 times to the mountains or cross country, I still do not want a 2500HD since this will be mostly a daily driver. So based on the feedback so far, really considering the Max Tow 1500. 

image.png.6c2e2e5dbd9699df5d7de1891aa72032.png

At first I was thinking we wanted the dual exhaust, but if we're going to be towing, having the single exhaust may make more sense for not inhaling the straight back pipes when coupling/decoupling, etc.

Looking at the following packages:

CONVENIENCE PACKAGE WITH BUCKET SEATS
Bucket seats

10-way power driver seat including power lumbar

Heated driver and front passenger seats

Center console

Dual-zone automatic climate control

Leather-wrapped steering wheel (RST)

Heated steering wheel

Manual tilt/telescoping steering column

Crew Cab models include rear seat storage package

CONVENIENCE PACKAGE II
Bose® Premium Sound System
Chevrolet Infotainment 3 Plus System with 8" diagonal HD color touchscreen
HD Radio
SiriusXM® Radio trial
Power sliding rear window with rear defogger
Universal Home Remote
120-volt power outlet
HD Rear Vision Camera
120-volt box-mounted power outlet

MAX TRAILERING PACKAGE

Increased towing and GCWR rating
Handling/Trailering1 Suspension Package
Revised shock tuning
9.76" rear axle
3.42 axle ratio
Trailer brake controller
Trailering Equipment

SAFETY PACKAGE
Front and Rear Park Assist1
Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert1
Rear Cross Traffic Alert1
Perimeter Lighting

BED PROTECTION PACKAGE
Rear wheelhouse liners
Chevytec spray-on bedliner

TRAILERING PACKAGE
Trailer hitch
Trailering hitch platform
Includes a 2" receiver hitch, 4-pin and 7-pin connectors
7-wire electrical harness and 7-pin sealed connector for connecting your trailer's lights and brakes to your vehicle
Hitch Guidance1

ADVANCED TRAILERING PACKAGE

Hitch Guidance with Hitch View
Advanced Trailering System (in-vehicle)
Trailer Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring System1

image.png.995a34b900da148350c6c8fd6ea43978.png
image.png.92b33423b6b662608519122b88cbb9c4.png
image.png.3a8fa39b08dc98ba8df39ca5df397437.png

So I have a few QUESTIONS:

1. I don't think adding the All Star package is necessary? - or is something missing?
2. Does this configuration really have a low (not high) capacity air filter?
3. What size alternator comes with this if not 170?
4. What is the revised towing, payload, and tongue weight for this configuration (NHT)?

Thanks again for the feedback so far, please keep it coming!!!! :)

Edited by UGADawgs
Typo

The alternator should be 220 amps, that’s what my NHT came with.

The air filter thing to me seems a bit silly. I’m sure the standard one is adequate. Think you can only get the high capacity one with Z71 anyway.

The All Star looks like it’ll save you some money. If you select all the options you want first...convienence package WITH buckets, etc etc, and THEN add the All Star package, the vehicle price drops about $500 and no equipment changes at all. Buckets are an upcharge in the All Star but you’ll still get the package discount on the rest of the stuff. At least that’s how it appears to me having played with the build tool for about 100 hours over the past month or two...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

The alternator should be 220 amps, that’s what my NHT came with.

The air filter thing to me seems a bit silly. I’m sure the standard one is adequate. Think you can only get the high capacity one with Z71 anyway.

The All Star looks like it’ll save you some money. If you select all the options you want first...convienence package WITH buckets, etc etc, and THEN add the All Star package, the vehicle price drops about $500 and no equipment changes at all. Buckets are an upcharge in the All Star but you’ll still get the package discount on the rest of the stuff. At least that’s how it appears to me having played with the build tool for about 100 hours over the past month or two...?

Yeah, added all-star and it dropped $500, hah weird!!

Any idea what the payload and tongue limits are with this config?

That I don’t. You should swing by a dealer and grab a brochure if they have it. I don’t have it handy, but it is HUGE and has all the specs at the back. Seems more detailed and easier to navigate than the website. You’ll want to have the book if you buy the truck anyway. ?

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 11:19 AM, UGADawgs said:

Yeah, added all-star and it dropped $500, hah weird!!

Any idea what the payload and tongue limits are with this config?

Every truck has a sticker on the bottom right when you open the driver door.  It will tell u the tow rating for that specific vehicle.  Go to a dealer and find an RST and check the sticker.

5 hours ago, z1boss said:

Every truck has a sticker on the bottom right when you open the driver door.  It will tell u the tow rating for that specific vehicle.  Go to a dealer and find an RST and check the sticker.

No dealers have NHT unfortunately. The brochure posted above has the numbers I was looking for.  ??

• Like 1