Allison 10-speed

Does anyone know if this will be a sealed unit? Also, going from 6 to 10...I wonder what kind of fuel mileage and performance increase this may have. 

Here’s a picture of the six speed dipstick and here’s a picture of what I think may be the 10 speed dipstick in the TFL video. 

429BFB39-C079-43B1-8FE3-A0421BCE09B4.jpeg

587C6B30-C365-4176-A0E7-CC8E5926F60F.jpeg

Edited by EXSlider400

Watch the cap at the 4:22 mark.  SAE 15w40.  They moved the oil fill cap up higher.  No trans dipstick.  I'm going with the trans being a "sealed" unit, so fluid level checks are made at a certain temp via under the truck.   

The engine oil fill certainly isn't where it was on older Duramax diesels.

BTW- wild rumor:  I have been told that Ford's upcoming new 10 speed in the 2020 Super Duty is going to be same transmission.  Trying to get verification of that, not sure I believe it just yet.

The engine oil fill certainly isn't where it was on older Duramax diesels.

BTW- wild rumor:  I have been told that Ford's upcoming new 10 speed in the 2020 Super Duty is going to be same transmission.  Trying to get verification of that, not sure I believe it just yet.
Wouldn't be surprised as they already share the current light duty 10 spd.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Doubt it. Not certain, but only time they used an Allison with a gas motor was with the 8.1L. I have an 07 8.L truck with the Allison 6spd mated to it. I've been under a few 6.0l HDs and never saw an Allison so that's what I'm basing it off. Just tried a search to see what others but no information that descriptive was found.

57 minutes ago, J-man67 said:

Doubt it. Not certain, but only time they used an Allison with a gas motor was with the 8.1L. I have an 07 8.L truck with the Allison 6spd mated to it. I've been under a few 6.0l HDs and never saw an Allison so that's what I'm basing it off. Just tried a search to see what others but no information that descriptive was found.

You're correct, the 6.0 has never been made available with the Allison. Heck, even the Duramax in the vans still got the 4L80/ 6L90, at least for awhile.

4 hours ago, carkhz316 said:

You're correct, the 6.0 has never been made available with the Allison. Heck, even the Duramax in the vans still got the 4L80/ 6L90, at least for awhile.

Yes it has!  The L96 is available with the Allison 1000 and 2200 transmissions in Freightliner van chassis and Fuso medium duty trucks.  But not in any GM trucks.

1 hour ago, C/K Man said:

Yes it has!  The L96 is available with the Allison 1000 and 2200 transmissions in Freightliner van chassis and Fuso medium duty trucks.  But not in any GM trucks.

2 hours ago, newdude said:

New gas gets a 6 speed per Chevrolet so far.  Sounds like the 6L90 lives on a bit longer. 

Wonder if the Ford Super Duty with the gas engine will get the 10 speed auto.

17 minutes ago, DTB said:

The Allison took so much power it was not offered with 6.0 was my understanding. I don’t see any reason not to offer the 10 speed with both gas and diesel and be done with it. 

Might also have to do with the torque capability at the duty cycle required.

19 hours ago, C/K Man said:

Ah yes. I probably should have specified the GM trucks. I guess I didn't know about the medium duty trucks. All our Freighliner M2's at work have either a Cummins 6.7 or a DD8 Detroit with Allison 2500's or 6-speed Eatons.