Catch Can?

KozzyJr

3 hours ago, steelcity said:

GM engineers didn't specify one from the factory, which suggests they didn't find it essential. The companies that sell catch cans, on the other hand, tend to suggest that these add-ons are very important , which isn't surprising. It's entirely normal for a modest amount of oil mist to circulate around in an oil-lubricated, internal combustion engine. Prior to about 1963, most manufacturers dealt with the oil mist by simply venting it out into the atmosphere. After that approach was rendered illegal, manufacturers added PCV or similar "closed loop" systems that handled the mist and relieved crankcase pressure by routing the oil laden air inside the engine through the induction system and into the combustion chambers. So, instead of venting out into the atmosphere, the mist got burned as part of the engine's normal operation. In some cars and in some circumstances, misted oil can accumulate in certain parts of the engine with ill effect. Also, oil mist may contribute to "coking" of intake valves. Coking is the solidification of oil resulting from severe oxidation and thermal breakdown, and it can occur when the oil mist is deposited on the underside of hot valves. This problem is more prevalent with intake valves in engines utilizing direct fuel injection, where the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber rather than into an intake port. With port injection or carburetors, the fuel passes over the backs of the intake valves and both cools and cleans them, reducing the likelihood of coking. When deciding whether an oil catch can is right for you, weigh the negatives against the positives. The negatives include the cost to buy and install one, and the need to periodically dispose of the captured oil. The positives include a reduced chance of coking, cleaner exhaust tips and maybe some extra peace of mind. WHEW!

Thanks for your input

26 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

"What people are saying" is an interesting turn of phrase. What people? Those saying it is true? Those saying it is so are those experiencing the problem. Those not having an issue are not saying, silent they are. What you are hearing then is by your own word is but half a story. My thoughts are that it is impossible to make a good decision based on half the facts. Even silent they tell the rest of the story. What is that? 

If your motor uses oil and not leaking then use a can. If your motor uses no oil then the can is wasted money. The next question your going to ask is how much oil is considered 'using oil'. And it would be a good question. ALL MOTORS USE OIL!! 

Yea, yea.....look if you can measure the usage on the dipstick in 5,000 miles...use a can. If you cannot then what little oil that is 'normal' for the motor to use will not cause an issue over its entire lifetime.

I don't have one on mine and thus far 135K on the clock flawlessly. Cameron took some photo's of his motor with quite a few miles on it that showed zip on the valves. There's guys on this site with over a quarter million without a can without issues. 

Now my wife's Terrain uses about a quart in 10K. A cup in 2500 miles. I'd put a can on that one IF it was possible. 2.4 is internally routed and yea, that one has had the valves cleaned mechanically.

Situation dependent based on YOUR needs. That's what I think. 

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 3:34 PM, KEEPER OF SECRETS said:

I also just installed the JLT drivers side oil separator on mine recently.

Very easy to install and one item that is highly recommended.

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-3-0-oil-separator-2019-chevy-silverado-1500-gmc-sierra-1500-5-3l-v8/

-Patrick-

20191101_173420.jpg

Hi Patrick

I have my JLT catch can on the way for my 2019 Sierra.  How is your catch can working since you installed it?  You still running it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just added the ADD W1 catch can to my 6.2l. I’m very pleased with the quality of it, and ease of installation. I put the drain kit on it as well and ran the drain hose down along the frame close to the oil filter so i can drain it without having to take the can apart. 

7CB4BD90-3203-4041-8225-0F3CDF034627.jpeg