Catch Can?

KozzyJr

Just saw your avatar. Are you running a diesel? If so ignore my post.

So here is someone you can contact. They should have the instructions for the 2019s by now.

I put a CC on my older 5.3 after I found out about the PVC issues on that motor. They have made changes but I would still run a CC and especially with a GDI engine. GM has a habit of using consumers for Beta testing. My truck was three years in to the new model production and still had major issues. Was not fully addressed till about 5 years in on the new model.

https://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/Gen-2-Oil-Catch-Can-Kit-by-McNally.html

7 hours ago, Stex said:

Just saw your avatar. Are you running a diesel? If so ignore my post.

So here is someone you can contact. They should have the instructions for the 2019s by now.

I put a CC on my older 5.3 after I found out about the PVC issues on that motor. They have made changes but I would still run a CC and especially with a GDI engine. GM has a habit of using consumers for Beta testing. My truck was three years in to the new model production and still had major issues. Was not fully addressed till about 5 years in on the new model.

https://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/Gen-2-Oil-Catch-Can-Kit-by-McNally.html

Yup I have a duramax. Best truck I’ve ever owned thus far. We ordered a at4 for our Daily as the duramax is just a little to much truck for when we go to the city, not to mention the regens and fuel consumption when in town. Our last 1500 has a 6.2 and it was a demo. It didn’t have a cc but after 15000km the intake looked like it was 5 years old. I want to make sure I have a cc on before I take delivery this time around.

I am not sure that there is a motor being made that could not benefit from a oil separation device installed on the PCV line.  Since diesels have been required to have closed CCV systems on them in 2007, all heavy diesels have PCV/CCV filtration units on them.  The Auto and Pickup OEM's are just a bunch of cheap morons and only worry about getting thru the warranty period and the customer be damned after that.

It is really surprising with the move by the OEM's to go to turbocharging on many of their gas engines that they do not have a PCV filtration system.  When the turbo spools up it can really draw a lot on the PCV system.  This is why many turbo gas systems get lots of crud buildup in the intercooler and intake.  

But even naturally aspirated engines can benefit.  Some more than others.  It is relatively inexpensive to install a good catch can on a engine that it seems funny that many will not consider it when they have no problem dropping thousands of dollars on eye candy and other nonsense for their pickups or cars.  To actually spend money on something that could help mitigate future problems?  God Forbid!

• 4 months later...

As far as the engine features it mentions something about baffles and oil/air separation.  

Was wondering if this helps with the buildup in the intake.  

PCV-integrated rocker covers: new domed rocker covers house a patent-pending integrated positive crankcase ventilation system that enhances oil life, reduces oil consumption and reduces exhaust emissions. The domed sections of the covers contain baffles that separate oil and air from the crankcase gases, with about three times the oil/air separation capability of previous engines.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l83/#ixzz5qEL71y44

13 hours ago, Philipgonzales3 said:

As far as the engine features it mentions something about baffles and oil/air separation.  

Was wondering if this helps with the buildup in the intake.  

PCV-integrated rocker covers: new domed rocker covers house a patent-pending integrated positive crankcase ventilation system that enhances oil life, reduces oil consumption and reduces exhaust emissions. The domed sections of the covers contain baffles that separate oil and air from the crankcase gases, with about three times the oil/air separation capability of previous engines.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l83/#ixzz5qEL71y44

Yes, but the 2019 new body engines L82, L84 and L87 benefit from an improved rocker cover with integral separation over the L83 and L86 rocker covers with integral separation. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I installed a oil catch can on my 2019 silverado LT 5.3L from JLT performance, and after a couple hundred miles I checked it and there was oil in the catch can, not much, but a little.  I'm sure after a couple thousand miles it will be full.

• 2 weeks later...

I also just installed the JLT drivers side oil separator on mine recently.

Very easy to install and one item that is highly recommended.

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-3-0-oil-separator-2019-chevy-silverado-1500-gmc-sierra-1500-5-3l-v8/

-Patrick-

20191101_173420.jpg

Edited by KEEPER OF SECRETS
Added picture.

• 3 months later...

Bump

I think JLT is the only one that has any pictures or videos out there.

Does anyone have any more different brand catch can installation photos?  I'm finding a bunch of nothing online for the 5.3 T1's

ADD-W1?

UPR?

Elite Engineering?

McNally?