03 Sierra Instrument cluster failure

I drove to work last night with a working instrument cluster. This morning I leave work in the bitter bitter cold, the truck is slow to start but does, and runs as it should. However, no instrument cluster function. The digital display works and reads correct info, all other electrical functions normal. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

If it was me, this is how I'd troubleshoot....I had to replace the cluster in my  2001 Suburban.

1) Disconnect the battery, leave it for 10 minutes, reconnect.  Then start it up.  Kind of like re-booting a computer.

2) Dig into the dash - remove the big trim piece, remove the 4 7mm bolts holding in the cluster, unplug and replug the cluster - maybe the connections are oxidized, and a little friction will fix it.

3) Either have the cluster repaired, or buy one off eBay.  I'm sure there aren't quite as many for sale when I did mine 13 years ago, they should still be out there.  I bought an HD cluster, which gave me a functioning trans temp gauge instead of the idiot light in the lower left corner.

2MiWQ6K.jpg

Edited by intheburbs

5 hours ago, intheburbs said:

If it was me, this is how I'd troubleshoot....I had to replace the cluster in my  2001 Suburban.

1) Disconnect the battery, leave it for 10 minutes, reconnect.  Then start it up.  Kind of like re-booting a computer.

2) Dig into the dash - remove the big trim piece, remove the 4 7mm bolts holding in the cluster, unplug and replug the cluster - maybe the connections are oxidized, and a little friction will fix it.

3) Either have the cluster repaired, or buy one off eBay.  I'm sure there aren't quite as many for sale when I did mine 13 years ago, they should still be out there.  I bought an HD cluster, which gave me a functioning trans temp gauge instead of the idiot light in the lower left corner.

2MiWQ6K.jpg

Out of curiosity did it work by just plugging it in? I wouldn't mind having one of those myself...

1 hour ago, 75z28 said:

Out of curiosity did it work by just plugging it in? I wouldn't mind having one of those myself...

Here's a couple of places that rebuilds clusters and can add a temp gauge. Check them out...

https://circuitboardmedics.com/2003-2006-chevrolet-instrument-cluster-repair/

https://www.gmgaugerepair.com/

To answer your question about the gauge working, this excerpt is from Circuit Board Medics website...

Transmission Temperature Gauge Upgrade

All full sized vehicles (Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe) are equipped with a transmission temperature sensor, but the instrument cluster is not set up to display the information. We offer an upgrade which includes adding the transmission temperature gauge, a new faceplate and calibration of the gauge. This requires no additional wiring or parts for your vehicle. Please give us a call if you have questions regarding this upgrade. If your vehicle currently has the transmission temperature gauge, there is no additional cost associated with the rebuild. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mazza said:

The damndest thing. As I started the truck to drive in tonight, slow start again because it's frigid and I just think it's time for a new battery.

But all the instruments worked as they should!

Those clusters were prone to loose functions, or just die. I would just replace it with the upgraded one (trans temp) or get a Caddy one that has the temp gauge and a cooler looking background. There is a company here in the PNW call Instrument Sales and Service that sells and programs them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 75z28 said:

Yes, plug 'n play.  I wanted it because I was planning to do a lot of towing, and wanted to know my trans temp.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:26 PM, Mr. Z71 said:

Here's a couple of places that rebuilds clusters and can add a temp gauge. Check them out...

https://circuitboardmedics.com/2003-2006-chevrolet-instrument-cluster-repair/

https://www.gmgaugerepair.com/

To answer your question about the gauge working, this excerpt is from Circuit Board Medics website...

Transmission Temperature Gauge Upgrade

All full sized vehicles (Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe) are equipped with a transmission temperature sensor, but the instrument cluster is not set up to display the information. We offer an upgrade which includes adding the transmission temperature gauge, a new faceplate and calibration of the gauge. This requires no additional wiring or parts for your vehicle. Please give us a call if you have questions regarding this upgrade. If your vehicle currently has the transmission temperature gauge, there is no additional cost associated with the rebuild. 

My 2002 had no trans temp monitoring ability.

At least I’m fairly certain it didn’t.   I have a in line one hooked up under my dash now tho.

Reason I say that is I’m not aware of any temp sensor existing in my 4l60e and there is no viewing option in my obdii

On 2019-01-30 at 9:42 PM, Mazza said:

The damndest thing. As I started the truck to drive in tonight, slow start again because it's frigid and I just think it's time for a new battery.

But all the instruments worked as they should!

I repair a dozen of these a month 03-04. You have a cold solder on one of the glass diodes from the 12V battery plus.  Your problem will not fix itself.  It may be intermittent for a while until it completely fails.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...