2019 Torque converter shutter

scottnc

Question

Brand new torque converter shutter started in first 100 miles. Has become worse and took to the dealer and want to do triple flush first then maybe torque change out. Read this forum that this is an ongoing issue. Really surprise that this issue has been happening for 3 years now.  Any ideas??

7 answers to this question

I just bought my 2019 Colorado less than two weeks ago and I just noticed the shudder a week in after about 400 miles. I thought I was driving on frost heaves, but then it happened again on different roads and at different speeds only when accelerating lightly. So noticeable I turned the radio off and was like WTF is that?! Then I found this forum. Have an appointment on Monday. Hopefully it will be fixed, and not a reoccurring issue with a new TC. 

• Like 1

It is well known, and even acknowledged by GM, that the problems with this transmission cannot be fixed. Therefore, as soon as possible and with as few miles on the vehicle as possible, take it back to a dealer and request the defect be repaired. Do this several times, keeping all records of when, where, action taken (even if none), any advice or comments made by dealer persons, and if possible, record everything on video with sound. Remember it's not the dealers fault you bought a vehicle with a problem that cannot be fixed by any means, but the dealer is the one that's stuck with trying to fix it. Obtain all the information you can find on this problem, and even similar problems in other models (because the same transmission  is used in multiple other vehicles), obtain all applicable GM TCB's (such as TCB 18-NA-177 and TCB 18-NA-355) that have any bearing on the problem, and then after a "reasonable number" of repair attempts apply for Arbitration according to the requirements applicable in your state. In Arbitration, which is free to the vehicle purchaser, present all evidence regarding nature of the problem, past history and the manufacturers inability to correct these serious defects, evidence that the issue exists in the vehicle you purchased, and the history of repeated attempts by dealer(s) to fix the problem but that the problem still exists. When is all is said and done, you may be given a refund of the vehicle purchase price, a replacement vehicle having the same configuration and options, a decision to return to a dealer for further repair attempts, or no other action or remedy. In the case of the 8L45 / 8L90 transmission issues, arbitration in many states has already ordered refunds and replacement vehicles, as the problems with this model transmission have been around for so long and are so well documented. In any event, Good Luck.

Brand new torque converter shutter started in first 100 miles. Has become worse and took to the dealer and want to do triple flush first then maybe torque change out. Read this forum that this is an ongoing issue. Really surprise that this issue has been happening for 3 years now.  Any ideas??

Can you describe exactly what you’re feeling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It started with a slight bumping sensation while accelerating lightly. After 1000 miles and I realized that this was really an issue , it began to feel like I was driving over the bump strips when  you run off the road on an intermittent basis . It became progressively worse by the time I got to 3000 miles. The dealer admitted it was an issue that GM was having. After a week waiting. my local dealer advised a new service bulletin was issued with a "new improved" transmission flush kits and tools was available. I have now driven 1500 miles since the fluid change and the bumping vibration is gone. I do notice when driving on cold startups the transmission shifts a little harder.