What Shocks?

I need to replace my shocks.  112,000 miles and I'm bouncing around.  Especially in the rear.

I think I got my rears figured out.  But I can't find any info on my front shocks.  How do I know what kind I have, so I know what to buy?

I have a 2015 Suburban LT 4WD.  I believe the relevant RPOs that I have are: 

NHT : Performance Package – Enhanced Towing

Z82 : Trailer Provisions, Special Equipment, H.O.

Z85 : Chassis Package, High Payload Firm Ride

I also have 6SH and 7SH on my RPO sticker.  I don't know what that means, but looking at shock websites all weekend makes me think they're related to the front shocks,  with the 6 being driver's side and 7 being passener side.

I don't know what all my other RPOs stand for.  I have 106 of them.  I've had to piece it all together from different websites because I haven't found a single site with an all inclusive list.  I still have 33 more to figure out.  But I digress...

If I'm missing an RPO that you need to know to identify my shocks, please let me know and I'll see if it's listed on my sticker.

My fronts are a mystery.  The sticker on my front shocks look like they say part number 23183885.  Searching for that number at any GM parts website doesn't return any hits.  Other numbers on the sticker are (and I apologize if these are wrong, I'm trying to read a faded sticker):  AA3C, and CE22344 or CE223844.  There's also another number that goes something like 14 156 0x4x1 AA3C.  The x's are numbers I can't read.  GMPartsGiant.com shows 23276075 as being compatible with 6SH and 7SH, and nothing else to help me narrow it down, so it would be a guess and a gamble to buy these.  But when I take that part number over to GMPartsDirect.com I get an error message saying 23276075 does not fit my vehicle?!

My rears say 23458661 and say ABZW.  They also say 0E22394.  Looking at GMPartsGiant.com they appear to be a new number: 23276087 that fits vehicle option Z85 (perfect, I have that!) and replaces 23458661 (perfect, that's what the sticker on the shock says!).  GMPartsDirect.com also has 23276087 and shows that they're for without magneride (good, don't have that), code AB69 (mine says ABZW, problem?), and Increased Capacity Package (does that mean Z85?).

So I believe I have the right rear shocks.  But I'm at a loss as to what the fronts are supposed to be.  Any help out there?

Edited by cs15dah

If you send an email with your VIN to [email protected] and ask them kindly to supply you with a copy of your vehicle's build sheet, they will email one back and it will have all the RPO codes and the associated info listed that your vehicle has. This will save you a bunch of time deciphering the codes yourself. They have provided me with both PDF files and MS Word files on both of my trucks build sheets. Sorry, I can't help you out more.

gmpartsgiant.com

Plug in your vin, and select front or rear suspension. I've cross referenced their results on several trips to the dealer and other sites, and they will give you the accurate result for your vehicle. 

11 hours ago, CadillacLuke24 said:

gmpartsgiant.com

Plug in your vin...

I did that with GMPartsGiant.com. But like I said, it contradicts info on GMPartsDirect.com. So unless I knew for sure, it would be a gamble. Especially since GMPartsDirect.com says they're not compatible with my vehicle.

Edited by cs15dah

Have always replaced OEM shocks with Bilstein shocks. This has worked for me, providing a more controlled ride. If set on OEM, one can call parts at dealer. Give Vin and they will give you the parts #.

1 hour ago, Stex said:

Have always replaced OEM shocks with Bilstein shocks. This has worked for me, providing a more controlled ride. 

Thanks! Yeah, I considered Bilstein. But with the air shocks in the rear I suspect I have to stay with OEM. Not sure if the fronts make any difference. They “look” like normal shocks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rears in tonight. Holy smokes, what a difference! The old ones are probably original. 113,360 miles. The left rear compressed easier than the new ones and rebounded very slowly. The right rear was totally shot. Compressed with no effort and did not rebound at all. 

Now... to look at strut videos on YouTube over the next few days, rent a strut compressor from Auto Zone, and tackle the fronts over the weekend.

Anyone ever replace the filter on their compressor?  I imagine if it uses a desiccant that it could use a 'refresh.'  Looks like GMPartsGiant.com sells it combined with the tank.  Part number 22941807.

Edited by cs15dah

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/13/2019 at 8:31 PM, cs15dah said:

Got the rears in tonight. Holy smokes, what a difference! The old ones are probably original. 113,360 miles. The left rear compressed easier than the new ones and rebounded very slowly. The right rear was totally shot. Compressed with no effort and did not rebound at all. 

Now... to look at strut videos on YouTube over the next few days, rent a strut compressor from Auto Zone, and tackle the fronts over the weekend.

Anyone ever replace the filter on their compressor?  I imagine if it uses a desiccant that it could use a 'refresh.'  Looks like GMPartsGiant.com sells it combined with the tank.  Part number 22941807.

Did you replace with OEM Air shocks? How are they holding up if so?