18 SLT/LTZ vs 19 SLE/LT

Donstar

It seems that I never stop shopping for a truck!   My current  '15 SLE has low miles and is in new condition.  There are a few '18's on the lot that I'd prefer but none are worth spending the $20+k trade difference.  Climbing into a '18 SLT is nice but hard to justify a return to monthly car payments!    I was surprised to see sale prices on the '19 mid-trim level trucks to be in the range of discounted '18 high-trim level trucks.  A '19 SLE appears to be a significant upgrade to my '15 SLE. and would definitely give a greater sense and appearance of "getting a new truck"!  I am sure many forum members were/are faced with a similar dilemma.  Some of you may also have spouses who are more concerned with the cost than the year, model, or brand!  If you have an opinion, or are a step ahead of me on this step of the decision making process, I'd appreciate your comments.

I traded my ‘16 SLE for a ‘19 LTZ and haven’t looked back. There’s a few things I couldn’t get over in the lower trim levels for ‘19 and I think you’d notice the same going from your ‘15.

While some things are certainly an upgrade (Especially on better equipped 2019 SLE/LT models, keyless go is great), the 2019 base level back up camera is far worse resolution than what I had in the ‘16. Also the base (non-Bose) stereo sounds way worse than the base stereo in my ‘16. It has absolutely no low end at all.

There is also some little things they took away going from the K2 trucks. Fewer USB ports, no vanity lights in the visor mirrors (unless you get SLT/ LTZ), no standard low range transfer case unless you get a Z71 or 6.2, etc. There are some apparent cost cuts to say the least so you need to be careful when you shop if you’d miss any of these things.

Aside from that, obviously the 19 is a much better driving truck and the 8 speed / DFM combo is much smoother and faster than the 6 speed / AFM in the earlier trucks. If you did go up to the SLT/ LTZ, the 6.2 & 10 speed is even better. I would marry my engine and trans if it was legal.

Whether it’s worth the switch is up to you. The 18s are better deals but in essence it’s the same truck you have so you may be quickly bored with it...

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 1

I traded a '15 LTZ for a '19 LTZ and I am glad I did so. I have owned multiple trucks of the same generation and I agree, it is not

the same feeling as an all new model. This truck is better in every way over my '15 and I really loved that truck. It's roomier, drives

smoother and maneuvers well considering it has a bulkier feel. The heated and ventilated seats work much better as well, almost immediate.

i even got thumbs up from a Ford guy at a light! I was in a payment situation so it didn't really cost me too much  more to get into this one.

Good luck in your decision!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bartonjude said:

Shopping (the hunt) is an integral part of the fun, I do it too.   I see no harm in the exercise.

Our rule at home is 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.   It works for us.

You're 100% correct.  Once the decision is made,  the  hunt is over! (for awhile)     The 10 year rule makes a lot of sense.  We don't have a set rule but a new vehicle usually appears when my wife can no longer stand my whining, whimpering and complaining.  Her resistance gets better over the years.  Also, today I officially became eligible for OAP and looking ahead ten years is taking on new meaning!

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

You're 100% correct.  Once the decision is made,  the  hunt is over! (for awhile)     The 10 year rule makes a lot of sense.  We don't have a set rule but a new vehicle usually appears when my wife can no longer stand my whining, whimpering and complaining.  Her resistance gets better over the years.  Also, today I officially became eligible for OAP and looking ahead ten years is taking on new meaning!

Like me Donstar...I usually talk about the new vehicle for about 2years before I finally go and do it as long as the rebates and incentives are REAL Juicy!  Wait until fall 2019 you will be at a better advantage point on all fronts?

Before retirement and because of miles I bought a new truck every two to three years for work. I never stopped the research and usually was geared more towards Hp. And mods I could do. I had more GMs than any other after I was through with diesels, their deals usually were better. Personally family cars were usually paid off. We have three here now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk