Amsoil Oil Change

7 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Regular basic maintenance? Engine design failure? In case you haven’t noticed, there’s an enormous amount of engine failures on the internet, especially on these forums, especially with AFM and all while using minimum required engine oil but none while using Amsoil or Redline. The answer to this can be simple and yet overlooked, especially with cheapskates, I’ve owned an enormous amount of trucks, mostly for my business and have definitely noticed a difference in smoother running engines when I switched to Amsoil, ZERO carbon build up, engine vibrations and the cost far outweighing the repairs etc etc.

Sent from Above

I really don't understand which argument/debate you're engaged in here.

Is it about Amsoil oils? I have no debate with you there. I've used it myself & fully agree that it's a very fine oil. You like Amsoil, I like Amsoil. What's the issue here? lol
Is it about cheap low quality oils? I didn't even imply using cheap oils anywhere.  
Is it about maintenance? The manuals are very clear on that. I agree that maintenance needs to be done. What's the issue here?
None of the failures you claim are actually oil related. I was clear about the difference between oil & design related failures in an earlier post. Are you blaming design related failures on oil? Is that the issue?

The OP asked about going extended OCI with Amsoil, which is fine with me. If they do it right, they'll be fine. Amsoil will be a great oil for that. 

It appears that You and Grumpy seem determined to spread your fears about Mfr recommended or extended OCI's to anyone that with listen. Yes, they are fears. I just simply don't buy into your fears & there's no hard real data that supports them.
Even the manufacturer of your oil of choice recommends extended OCI's. Why aren't you arguing with them?
I simply and fully disagree with you on doing 5k OCI's. IMO, It's a waste of money. Decent oils & filters aren't the weakpoint here.
If you want to do hi freq OCI's, more power to ya. But, recognize that it's your own stuff & keep it at that.

I was an Amsoil dealer until I retired. Family business still is among others. Their hydraulic oil saved us 10s of thousands of dollars in hydraulic pumps and downtime. Engines are less forgiving now with cylinder deactivation etc. I was an extended user. My old stuff I still am. It’s usually yearly not based on mileage. I don’t drive as much in one vehicle. People like Grumpy provided the prof thru oil analysts. Do your own adjust accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

I'd suggest that you assume a lot more than you think you do.

Like I said earlier, how you do things is your prerogative.
You may spend a lot of time futzing about this stuff & may even enjoy it.........
Myself, I do none of that & my engine will last as long or longer than yours & I'll spend less than half the money on maintenance & less than a 1/4 of the time that you do. No money spent on lab reports, or any time worrying about them.
Once my truck gets to 200k miles or so, it gets replaced with the next one. It will still be running fine at that point & will still have lots of service life left in the engine.

Not sure if you noticed or not, but oil related failures are pretty rare, & almost never happen on vehicles that receive regular basic maintenance. It's been like that for a long time. A very long time. In most cases, the engines outlast the vehicle nowadays, especially in the rust belt. If the engine does fail, it's usually a design related failure.
Despite your best efforts oil just isn't the weak point in the machine.

Just sayin'. 

I'm  a science sort of guy with deep roots in the industry. I always get a giggle when a person offhand disregards decades of science in favor of personal experience. Especially when that experience is based on such a short expected lifetime. It's like telling someone you know what it's like to go the moon by walking to the end of the block. Lord man. I'll bet you could run a pre AFM motor to 100K without ever replacing the factory fill. Wait....I've seen it done. :) 

You will spend more buying cars every 200K then I could spend in maintenance in a lifetime. 

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I'm  a science sort of guy with deep roots in the industry. I always get a giggle when a person offhand disregards decades of science in favor of personal experience. Especially when that experience is based on such a short expected lifetime. It's like telling someone you know what it's like to go the moon by walking to the end of the block. Lord man. I'll bet you could run a pre AFM motor to 100K without ever replacing the factory fill. Wait....I've seen it done. :) 

You will spend more buying cars every 200K then I could spend in maintenance in a lifetime. 

I'd suggest that you need to work on your reading comprehension. 

6 hours ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

I'd suggest that you need to work on your reading comprehension. 

I comprehend just fine. Your argue irrationally and in ignorance. 

Your knowledge is limited to your experience. 

200K isn't much experience.

Bye.

...from 1976...back then Mobil 1 claimed 25,000 mile oci. I recall because I got interested in using Synthetic oil from that magazine and was using Mobil 1 but is was regionally marketed and not easy to find. One day I stumbled upon a gas station selling AMSOIL and been using it ever since. 

PSmag1a.jpg

PSmag2b.jpg

PSmag3a.jpg

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I comprehend just fine. Your argue irrationally and in ignorance. 

Your knowledge is limited to your experience. 

200K isn't much experience.

Bye.

Believe what you want. You can fool yourself if you like, and you might fool others. You're just not fooling me. 

Since science is snubbed and ya' ll trust a consumer review view of the world more: 

My Uncle worked for White/Volvo/Autocar for decades. Toward the end of his employment he got out from behind a desk and took up driving an Isuzu NPR diesel box truck delivering parts all over north America (yes including Mexico and Canada) for emergency breakdown. The company had used these Isuzu rigs forever and was getting right at the 310,000 B10 life that Isuzu claimed. They ran the recommended oil and the recommended long OCI's of 500 hours which worked out to roughly 20/22.5K miles for his service. He told his bosses he could do better and would service his own truck. Form Isuzu:

NPR Diesel

….Isuzu 3.0 (4JJ1-TC) turbocharged intercooled diesel engine, 150-hp @2,800 rpm, 282lb-ft of torque at 1,600 – 2,800 rpm. Aisin A460 double overdrive 6-speed automatic transmission with lockup. All Isuzu diesel engines have a B10 life of 310,000 miles.

He put her on a diet of AMSOIL oil and added a bypass filter and cut the OCI in half. These motors hold 16 quarts.

First truck went 1.3 MILLION miles. OVER 4X the B10 life!

Second one went 800,000 miles and he retired with it still in service

This is over FIVE trucks the company did not buy traded for oil and filters. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elcamino said:

...from 1976...back then Mobil 1 claimed 25,000 mile oci. I recall because I got interested in using Synthetic oil from that magazine and was using Mobil 1 but is was regionally marketed and not easy to find. One day I stumbled upon a gas station selling AMSOIL and been using it ever since. 

PSmag1a.jpg

PSmag2b.jpg

PSmag3a.jpg

I used AMSOIL in an older vehicle because I read it was good stuff.  I didn't keep the vehicle long after that so haven't the experience of seeing the benefit, which I do not doubt.  I too am all in on the best oils and cold starts, heat etc.  I tow a little, (3200lbs) or so, most of it during the dead of winter.  I believe that maintenance is the key not only to longevity but also to performance.  My question ref the transmission was specific to the shifting issues with the 8spd.  If I can mitigate the problem by switching out the Mobil to AMSOIL, I will do it and the engine oil and filters too.  I love this truck of mine and the 6.2 is smile maker.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Agriont said:

I used AMSOIL in an older vehicle because I read it was good stuff.  I didn't keep the vehicle long after that so haven't the experience of seeing the benefit, which I do not doubt.  I too am all in on the best oils and cold starts, heat etc.  I tow a little, (3200lbs) or so, most of it during the dead of winter.  I believe that maintenance is the key not only to longevity but also to performance.  My question ref the transmission was specific to the shifting issues with the 8spd.  If I can mitigate the problem by switching out the Mobil to AMSOIL, I will do it and the engine oil and filters too.  I love this truck of mine and the 6.2 is smile maker.  

Let us know how it performs after switching to Amsoil.

13 minutes ago, WilliamBos said:

Let us know how it performs after switching to Amsoil.

I guess I'm asking for experience from those who have made the change in terms of the vehicle they drive, specifically the 6.2 and the 8 spd.  I haven't decided on a change at this point.  I also, don't want to void any warranty or give GM a chance to say I didn't follow their service specifications/oil etc.

2 hours ago, Agriont said:

I guess I'm asking for experience from those who have made the change in terms of the vehicle they drive, specifically the 6.2 and the 8 spd.  I haven't decided on a change at this point.  I also, don't want to void any warranty or give GM a chance to say I didn't follow their service specifications/oil etc.

I understand you not wanting to void your warranty.  Switching over to AMSOIL ATL transmission fluid will not void it.  I've switched every vehicle I own over to it within the first 10k miles with no issues.  I don't have any experience with the 8sp but there are individuals out there that have.  How things are since they switched I can't say.  I can say that I have talked to other AMSOIL dealers that have customers with the 8sp and they said it made a huge difference in the way the transmission shifted.  Again this is from other AMSOIL dealers.  I personally have no customers that have switched that were having issues and it helped after they switched. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 3/22/2020 at 1:10 PM, Agriont said:

It’s a proven fact, most of the things we worry about, NEVER HAPPEN.

Many owners are afraid of losing their factory warranty should they deviate from the original equipment manufacturer (OEM)-recommended oil. Some OEMs and dealers take advantage by trying to pressure customers into buying the OEM brand of lubricants.

Illegal scare tactics

The fact is, tying use of an OEM lubricant to the factory warranty is illegal. What’s more, manufacturers can’t deny warranty coverage without showing the aftermarket part or lubricant caused a failure. The federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects U.S. consumers with the freedom to choose the brands of parts and lubricants they think are best. Similar consumer-protection laws exist in Canada.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 9:19 PM, Coleman71 said:

Im looking to do my first oil change on my 2017 6.2L Gmc Sierra. It has 12k miles, bought it two months ago. I usually do Mobil 1 or Castrol with my other vehicles. But since the newer engines have an 8 qt capacity, an "oil change special" at the local parts store won't cut it. Since it is now a $75+ DIY oil change I was considering Mobil 1 Annual performance or extended performance. I drive between 18k-24k miles a year so I'm not interested at doing 3-4 oil changes a year with "regular" synthetic at 7500 mile intervals. I have heard that guys will run amsoil signature series oil for a yearly oil change. Have any of you run Amsoil in these trucks and what kind of success have you had?

I bought the truck with 1,300 on the clock from a dealer who did the first oil change before the sale. Both those using AC-Delco 5W30. By 9,300 I had changed it two more times using Mobil 1 then switched to Quaker State UD on 5K OCI's to 35K. 

At 35K I switched to Red Line HP and maintained my 5K OCI regiment to 110K where I switched once more to AMSOIL SS. Now at nearly 135K and still doing 5K OCI's on AMSOIL. Motor is as silent as the Reapers whisper and it uses no oil I've ever measured. It runs cool and smooth. Maintaining the same oil pressure profile it did new. A look in the rocker boxes around 100K when plug/wires were done was a look into a new motor. Clean as the day it was put together. 

I don't know if that is yet to be considered a success but I'm liking PAO/POE oils. I had been a Red Line HP user for three decades. Pricing and in the bottle cleanliness for the same base oil platform brought me to AMSOIL. A nod from an uncle or two in the million mile club didn't hurt either. 

Is my journey done? :dunno:  Things are always changing. I try to keep up. 

• Like 1