Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Coleman71

Amsoil Oil Change

Recommended Posts

Im looking to do my first oil change on my 2017 6.2L Gmc Sierra. It has 12k miles, bought it two months ago. I usually do Mobil 1 or Castrol with my other vehicles. But since the newer engines have an 8 qt capacity, an "oil change special" at the local parts store won't cut it. Since it is now a $75+ DIY oil change I was considering Mobil 1 Annual performance or extended performance. I drive between 18k-24k miles a year so I'm not interested at doing 3-4 oil changes a year with "regular" synthetic at 7500 mile intervals. I have heard that guys will run amsoil signature series oil for a yearly oil change. Have any of you run Amsoil in these trucks and what kind of success have you had?

 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Im looking to do my first oil change on my 2017 6.2L Gmc Sierra. It has 12k miles, bought it two months ago. I usually do Mobil 1 or Castrol with my other vehicles. But since the newer engines have an 8 qt capacity, an "oil change special" at the local parts store won't cut it. Since it is now a $75+ DIY oil change I was considering Mobil 1 Annual performance or extended performance. I drive between 18k-24k miles a year so I'm not interested at doing 3-4 oil changes a year with "regular" synthetic at 7500 mile intervals. I have heard that guys will run amsoil signature series oil for a yearly oil change. Have any of you run Amsoil in these trucks and what kind of success have you had?

 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

 

 

 

0W20 Amsoil Signature series is great and the Mobil1 annual is good too, either with a Mobil1 extended performance filter but I wouldn’t go past 5K. These engines get dirty pretty quick. You’ll have some people try to justify them being cheap by doing it much later but that’s up to you. My 18 6.2 CC deserves the best and really feels secure knowing it’s well maintained especially when I need it the most.

 

 

Sent from above

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amsoil is the best option, although more expensive.  Check out all the YouTube videos and other comparisons of Amsoil vs mobil1. 

 

GM provided 24 month maintenance coverage in the past so, maybe use the dealer until that runs out before switching to Amsoil.  

 

I have Amsoil throughout my truck.  Front and rear diff, transfer case, and now the brake system.  Next up will be transmission.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going 15k miles using AMSOIL Signature Series 0w-20 and the Ea017 oil filter on our 2016 Suburban.  I have done UOA's to show I can go that long with no issues.  I also like the fact that I just use 2 gallons. It is very convenient and no messing with 8 individual qts. 

 

If you are interested and don't have a source for AMSOIL PM me and I can give you a quote of what 2 gallons of AMSOIL Signature Series 0w-20 and an Ea017 filter delivered to your door. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, btj_z71 said:

Amsoil is the best option, although more expensive.  Check out all the YouTube videos and other comparisons of Amsoil vs mobil1. 

 

GM provided 24 month maintenance coverage in the past so, maybe use the dealer until that runs out before switching to Amsoil.  

 

I have Amsoil throughout my truck.  Front and rear diff, transfer case, and now the brake system.  Next up will be transmission.

Great way to keep your truck happy and yes IMHO the best available. I just ordered some Signature Series from @Black02Silverado and he already called me to verify my address, great pricing too. Thanks Nick!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Great way to keep your truck happy and yes IMHO the best available. I just ordered some Signature Series from @Black02Silverado and he already called me to verify my address, great pricing too. Thanks Nick!

Thanks Mark.  I'm here to help in any way I can.  :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started using the Amsoil Sig. Series in my 2018 5.3 with the EA017 filter....its 2yrs old with 17k on it. Probably still change it every 6months though. The oil filters made so much better than the PF63e

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like the 5-30w redLine  so far, no oil consumption issues, and my catch can doest even fill up with oil anymore thru the PCV port, still watching it but looks like a nd clean 3 week after oil change....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just order Amsoil for my oil change I’m excited to switch from mobile 1. Let’s see how it goes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

correct me if i'm wrong but isnt Mobil 1 a 50/50 mix of synthetic and old recycled non-synth oil? I remember emptying a 5 quart jug into a car once , and after looking inside the the empty jug, there was  a brownish sludge at the bottom of the can, I was like wtf is this crap!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

correct me if i'm wrong but isnt Mobil 1 a 50/50 mix of synthetic and old recycled non-synth oil? I remember emptying a 5 quart jug into a car once , and after looking inside the the empty jug, there was  a brownish sludge at the bottom of the can, I was like wtf is this crap!! 

Your wrong.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used AMSOIL for 40 yrs and NEVER changed oil less the 15,000 miles.  For those who demand the best and KNOW the difference. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for me i have more than one vehicle so i use different oils.

 

so i get two oil change specials with the gallon jugs of 0w20 Mobil 1 and the other filter is for one of my other cars. i rotate it every year so i always have filters and oil for each vehicle.

 

i'm sure amsoil is great but its not worth the price. I've used Mobil 1 in all my nice vehicles and has always been great for me doing oil change once a year at about 7k miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2020 at 7:19 PM, Jaychevy81 said:

I just order Amsoil for my oil change I’m excited to switch from mobile 1. Let’s see how it goes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered mine as well. Probably from the same guy :D :D

 

I've been running the NAPA brand DEXOS approved oil on 5k intervals. That's 4 changes a year for me at $75/ea. If I can stretch that change out to 10k miles, that's 2 changes a year for me. $220 in oil and filters instead of $300 in oil and filters. Cost is about a wash, but I don't have to dork with it as much :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2kwik4u said:

Just ordered mine as well. Probably from the same guy :D :D

 

I've been running the NAPA brand DEXOS approved oil on 5k intervals. That's 4 changes a year for me at $75/ea. If I can stretch that change out to 10k miles, that's 2 changes a year for me. $220 in oil and filters instead of $300 in oil and filters. Cost is about a wash, but I don't have to dork with it as much :D

Read my post about my Oil Reports.  You most certainly can go 10K and provide wear protection as I use off the shelf Dexos approved @ 10-12K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.