Amsoil Oil Change

Im looking to do my first oil change on my 2017 6.2L Gmc Sierra. It has 12k miles, bought it two months ago. I usually do Mobil 1 or Castrol with my other vehicles. But since the newer engines have an 8 qt capacity, an "oil change special" at the local parts store won't cut it. Since it is now a $75+ DIY oil change I was considering Mobil 1 Annual performance or extended performance. I drive between 18k-24k miles a year so I'm not interested at doing 3-4 oil changes a year with "regular" synthetic at 7500 mile intervals. I have heard that guys will run amsoil signature series oil for a yearly oil change. Have any of you run Amsoil in these trucks and what kind of success have you had?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Im looking to do my first oil change on my 2017 6.2L Gmc Sierra. It has 12k miles, bought it two months ago. I usually do Mobil 1 or Castrol with my other vehicles. But since the newer engines have an 8 qt capacity, an "oil change special" at the local parts store won't cut it. Since it is now a $75+ DIY oil change I was considering Mobil 1 Annual performance or extended performance. I drive between 18k-24k miles a year so I'm not interested at doing 3-4 oil changes a year with "regular" synthetic at 7500 mile intervals. I have heard that guys will run amsoil signature series oil for a yearly oil change. Have any of you run Amsoil in these trucks and what kind of success have you had?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

0W20 Amsoil Signature series is great and the Mobil1 annual is good too, either with a Mobil1 extended performance filter but I wouldn’t go past 5K. These engines get dirty pretty quick. You’ll have some people try to justify them being cheap by doing it much later but that’s up to you. My 18 6.2 CC deserves the best and really feels secure knowing it’s well maintained especially when I need it the most.

Sent from above

• Thanks 1

Amsoil is the best option, although more expensive.  Check out all the YouTube videos and other comparisons of Amsoil vs mobil1. 

GM provided 24 month maintenance coverage in the past so, maybe use the dealer until that runs out before switching to Amsoil.  

I have Amsoil throughout my truck.  Front and rear diff, transfer case, and now the brake system.  Next up will be transmission.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are going 15k miles using AMSOIL Signature Series 0w-20 and the Ea017 oil filter on our 2016 Suburban.  I have done UOA's to show I can go that long with no issues.  I also like the fact that I just use 2 gallons. It is very convenient and no messing with 8 individual qts. 

If you are interested and don't have a source for AMSOIL PM me and I can give you a quote of what 2 gallons of AMSOIL Signature Series 0w-20 and an Ea017 filter delivered to your door. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, btj_z71 said:

Amsoil is the best option, although more expensive.  Check out all the YouTube videos and other comparisons of Amsoil vs mobil1. 

GM provided 24 month maintenance coverage in the past so, maybe use the dealer until that runs out before switching to Amsoil.  

I have Amsoil throughout my truck.  Front and rear diff, transfer case, and now the brake system.  Next up will be transmission.

Great way to keep your truck happy and yes IMHO the best available. I just ordered some Signature Series from @Black02Silverado and he already called me to verify my address, great pricing too. Thanks Nick!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Great way to keep your truck happy and yes IMHO the best available. I just ordered some Signature Series from @Black02Silverado and he already called me to verify my address, great pricing too. Thanks Nick!

Thanks Mark.  I'm here to help in any way I can.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

correct me if i'm wrong but isnt Mobil 1 a 50/50 mix of synthetic and old recycled non-synth oil? I remember emptying a 5 quart jug into a car once , and after looking inside the the empty jug, there was  a brownish sludge at the bottom of the can, I was like wtf is this crap!! 

45 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

correct me if i'm wrong but isnt Mobil 1 a 50/50 mix of synthetic and old recycled non-synth oil? I remember emptying a 5 quart jug into a car once , and after looking inside the the empty jug, there was  a brownish sludge at the bottom of the can, I was like wtf is this crap!! 

Your wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

for me i have more than one vehicle so i use different oils.

so i get two oil change specials with the gallon jugs of 0w20 Mobil 1 and the other filter is for one of my other cars. i rotate it every year so i always have filters and oil for each vehicle.

i'm sure amsoil is great but its not worth the price. I've used Mobil 1 in all my nice vehicles and has always been great for me doing oil change once a year at about 7k miles.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:19 PM, Jaychevy81 said:

I just order Amsoil for my oil change I’m excited to switch from mobile 1. Let’s see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered mine as well. Probably from the same guy :D :D

I've been running the NAPA brand DEXOS approved oil on 5k intervals. That's 4 changes a year for me at $75/ea. If I can stretch that change out to 10k miles, that's 2 changes a year for me. $220 in oil and filters instead of $300 in oil and filters. Cost is about a wash, but I don't have to dork with it as much :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2kwik4u said:

Just ordered mine as well. Probably from the same guy :D :D

I've been running the NAPA brand DEXOS approved oil on 5k intervals. That's 4 changes a year for me at $75/ea. If I can stretch that change out to 10k miles, that's 2 changes a year for me. $220 in oil and filters instead of $300 in oil and filters. Cost is about a wash, but I don't have to dork with it as much :D

Read my post about my Oil Reports.  You most certainly can go 10K and provide wear protection as I use off the shelf Dexos approved @ 10-12K