Oil life on factory fill

Well, got my 2500 dmax the other day.  Was a 2018 left over, and got a great deal on it.  Bought from a dealer in Ohio, they picked up the truck and traded a dealer in Ky, drove to my place of business and dropped it off.  It is about a year old, and arrived with about 550 miles on it.  

While I always change my oil around 500-750 initial miles after break in, I decided to check the engine oil life, and was a little surprised that it was at 45%.  Didn’t think that it would be that low, as I drive a lot of new GM cars for work, and have never seen one drop so quick.  

Could it it be that the truck had a lot of really short trips in its life at a dealership lot for almost a year, and that pulled it down so quick....or is that normal?  

Doesnt matter, as I will be getting it all cleaned up and getting the oil changed quickly anyway...just wondering.  

Somfar, I absolutely love the truck.  Will miss the gasses....but the deal I got I could not pass up.  

The year it sat on the lot ticked down the oil life monitor. I'm actually surprised it wasn't lower. My vette sits for 6 months over the winter and it clicks down to zero. Oil life monitors use time and use.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:43 AM, cdh027 said:

The year it sat on the lot ticked down the oil life monitor. I'm actually surprised it wasn't lower. My vette sits for 6 months over the winter and it clicks down to zero. Oil life monitors use time and use.

Wow.  For a couple of years now, I haven't put over 2500 miles a year on my 2015 2500.  Oil got changed once a year in June/July.  This last year, I went a month over to August.  Still had 60% on the OLM at 13 months and one week after the last oil change.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Diesels do need to change oil because of time. I had my diesel had only 2900 miles over a year go down to 13%. I am driving it a lot more now so its down to 35% after 3900 miles but 8 months.

Change the oil, its cheap insurance.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2019 at 9:36 AM, Black02Silverado said:

It is my understanding that GM has changed the OLM.  Now it will decrease over time if the vehicle is not used and would go down to 0% after a year. 

Well, my 2015 has been in for the recall seatbelt stuff and no one has changed the OLM settings in the ECM.  Still does not use time countdown.  Will not put more than about 3700 miles on the pickup probably before the annual June/July oil change.  And the OLM is still on the percentage curve it has been for every other year.   And a couple of those years, I went over the 1 year mark before changing the oil.  And it has never gone to Zero on the OLM.

Edited by Cowpie

9 hours ago, Cowpie said:

Well, my 2015 has been in for the recall seatbelt stuff and no one has changed the OLM settings in the ECM.  Still does not use time countdown.  Will not put more than about 3700 miles on the pickup probably before the annual June/July oil change.  And the OLM is still on the percentage curve it has been for every other year.   And a couple of those years, I went over the 1 year mark before changing the oil.  And it has never gone to Zero on the OLM.

I guess it depends if they update the OLM.  A friend of mine has a 2011 Traverse and at 5k miles it still showing 55%.  But our 2011 Acadia that we had was at 0% at 5k miles.

4 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

I guess it depends if they update the OLM.  A friend of mine has a 2011 Traverse and at 5k miles it still showing 55%.  But our 2011 Acadia that we had was at 0% at 5k miles.

I thought we were talking about a year time not miles.

7 hours ago, Cowpie said:

I thought we were talking about a year time not miles.

We are, I was just pointing out that some vehicles have not been updated to the new program for there OLM.