Silverado won't consistently power trailer's rear camera

Yep, all manufacturers seem to agree that it's a GM voltage issue. As for the fixes by Furrion, Haloview and (Voyager ASA Electronics), as far as I can tell they are still prototypes not generally available. Best bet is to contact customer service and be a squeaky wheel.Or do what Ang did and just rewire directly to your trailer or camper battery.

Furrion tells me they are aware of the problem and working on a fix.  I asked for the proto-type to test and they said they have enough tester. They also informed me that there is no set release date for permanent fix.  Very disappointing we are all having to wait or get the run around. I was told to keep check back on their website for a announced when such fix is available. 

I wonder if this is similar to the canbus adapters needed to run HIDs or LEDs on the K2.  I wish someone could open their adapter and see what's in it.  I bet just a capacitor and some resistors. That would be easy enough to make. 

36 minutes ago, TexasGMCZ71 said:

I wonder if this is similar to the canbus adapters needed to run HIDs or LEDs on the K2.  I wish someone could open their adapter and see what's in it.  I bet just a capacitor and some resistors. That would be easy enough to make. 

Your suggestion is tempting, as I'm in possession of one! But I promised to send it back to ASA Electronics (Voyager). They first sent me a prototype with some nice CEC connectors so I could just plug-n-play (like the original camera). Sadly, my trailer manufacturer had lopped those off the original camera and wired it the old-fashioned way. ASA is sending me another in-line filter with blunt-cut ends and has asked for the one with CEC connectors back, as it is still pretty rare. That's the least I can do given their efforts to fix a problem that was not of their making.

The interesting question, yet to be answered, is when Furrion, Haloview and ASA start mass producing their fixes, will they be free to existing owners or come at a cost? 

I called haloview and they said it was in production right now and should be available in a couple weeks.  I hope its free but not holding my breathe.

My guess is that any brand should work to fix the problem on any camera.  My haloview is currently adapted to a Furion prewiring.

Edited by TexasGMCZ71

I bought a 12V regulator for $10 and plan to try that in line with the power going in to the camera. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but if someone else wants to, here's the part...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016VGT6Q0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It may not be able to smooth out the voltage if it is too choppy, but I figured it was worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ezekiel2517 said:

Haloview got back to me yesterday.  They are sending me one for 19.99.

I'll be interested to know how well it fits. The one I got from ASA Electronics (Voyager) is much narrower than the Haloview prototype that was posted here earlier. I still had a heck of a time getting it to fit through the small hole and in to the trailer's thin wall cavity. If the Haloview filter is as big as it looks, there's no way it would have fit.  Good luck and keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to update everyone that our filter is available for those that need it to solve the PWM issue.  There are two versions, p/n PWMBUT and PWMCEC, with the difference being in the connection type.  Our Voyager cameras ship with our CEC connector; however, in some applications this has been removed and have only the +12V (Red) & Ground (Black) wire connected to power source.  For these, the blunt-cut version is used.  For those with our CEC connector, the Voyager CEC version is needed.

I appreciate the feedback we’ve received from J-Stroke, Jack D and geddy76 during their testing.

• Thanks 1