Buying a new truck, 2015 Sierra Denali.

Hey, 

I found a new truck.  2015 sierra denali to replace my 2015 frontier.    It's got the 6.2L engine and 8SP

It doesn't have the tranny shudder.

Anything else to look for on these trucks?  I tested the cruise,  went through the fluids no leaks.... am i missing anything obvious ?  

It's coming from  GMC dealer but it's not certified or anything.  One owner, clean carfax.  30k miles. 

Thanks ! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, num said:

Hey, 

I found a new truck.  2015 sierra denali to replace my 2015 frontier.    It's got the 6.2L engine and 8SP

It doesn't have the tranny shudder.

Anything else to look for on these trucks?  I tested the cruise,  went through the fluids no leaks.... am i missing anything obvious ?  

It's coming from  GMC dealer but it's not certified or anything.  One owner, clean carfax.  30k miles. 

Thanks ! 

Welcome to the site, and Congratulations on the new to you truck! Too old to be certified, would not worry about what could happen, just enjoy the 6.2!!!

Thanks,  It's a huge difference from my nissan frontier (180k miles on it and it ran amazingly but with 4 dogs, I needed more room) 

Well, I didn't actually pay for it yet.  I'm going tomorrow since it took a 45 minute test drive in it to make sure everything worked it was too late to get the financing in order. 

Just wondering if there is anything I should eyeball or listen for before i sign on the dotted line. 

I would really look for a 16 it i was buying used. There were some nice updates with the midcycle refresh. The headlights and android auto are worth it alone.

As for your test drive, just make sure to get on the interstate and get the truck up to 80mph to make sure it's not a vibrator.

What kind of warranty are they offering you? Make them write the bumper to bumper extension to 100K into the paperwork if you can. Also, ask for a few complimentary oil changes and a BG induction service, maybe a free or discounted transmission/transfer case flush at the correct interval as well.

Ask why it isn’t  a “certified” used vehicle. 

Have them get you all the service records. Look them over for warranty work and updates.  Run the vin# through a different dealer and make sure the service records and carfax match up.

Drive it, as much as you can. Put the transmission through it’s paces and see if anything seems odd to you. Look for torque converter slipping or chattering. Any vibrations between 70-80 mph. Inspect or check every single option for functionality 

You could have have a mechanic you know give it a once over. Look at all the fluids. I’d look at the brakes, just to see where they are at.

Does the wear on the interior match the low mileage? Do the pedals still look fresh and new? Is everything under the hood pristine?  Get a creeper and look at the undercarriage.

A 2015 with only 30K on the clock is a good find. Just being nosy now,  but how much $ are they asking and how is t equipped?

you can’t expect the dealer to give you the farm for buying a used vehicle from them,  but anything that gets you into the habit of visiting the service side of the dealership is a win for them, so a few perks are easy for management to agree on.

Also, see what kind of programs are being offered, sometimes there could be a thousand bucks left  on the table because you didn’t think to ask. - veteran’s/student/first time buyer/GMAC/etc.  Also look long and hard at the dealer charges, their paperwork/processing/handling fees

I got an $800 Costco gift card for using GM financing for free and paid it off with a check as soon as we signed the sales contract.

if there is anything you’d like to upgrade, you can roll that into the deal as well- tinted windows, Katzkin seat covers, mats, mudflaps, bed extender. Any of that OEM stuff. Don’t expect those things for free, but you can get them.

Edited by Darksky
Grammar

1 hour ago, Darksky said:

What kind of warranty are they offering you? Make them write the bumper to bumper extension to 100K into the paperwork if you can. Also, ask for a few complimentary oil changes and a BG induction service, maybe a free or discounted transmission/transfer case flush at the correct interval as well.

Ask why it isn’t  a “certified” used vehicle. 

Have them get you all the service records. Look them over for warranty work and updates.  Run the vin# through a different dealer and make sure the service records and carfax match up.

Drive it, as much as you can. Put the transmission through it’s paces and see if anything seems odd to you. Look for torque converter slipping or chattering. Any vibrations between 70-80 mph. Inspect or check every single option for functionality 

You could have have a mechanic you know give it a once over. Look at all the fluids. I’d look at the brakes, just to see where they are at.

Does the wear on the interior match the low mileage? Do the pedals still look fresh and new? Is everything under the hood pristine?  Get a creeper and look at the undercarriage.

A 2015 with only 30K on the clock is a good find. Just being nosy now,  but how much $ are they asking and how is t equipped?

you can’t expect the dealer to give you the farm for buying a used vehicle from them,  but anything that gets you into the habit of visiting the service side of the dealership is a win for them, so a few perks are easy for management to agree on.

Also, see what kind of programs are being offered, sometimes there could be a thousand bucks left  on the table because you didn’t think to ask. - veteran’s/student/first time buyer/GMAC/etc.  Also look long and hard at the dealer charges, their paperwork/processing/handling fees

I got an $800 Costco gift card for using GM financing for free and paid it off with a check as soon as we signed the sales contract.

if there is anything you’d like to upgrade, you can roll that into the deal as well- tinted windows, Katzkin seat covers, mats, mudflaps, bed extender. Any of that OEM stuff. Don’t expect those things for free, but you can get them.

Excellent advice ^^

Not to scare you, but GM dealers often buy cars and trucks for cheap at auction or from car rental companies. A dealership knows what they can fix for cheap and flip for big profit. I once bought a certified used Malibu with 35k miles. Since it was certified, and low mileage, I didn’t look it over as close as I should have.  It had been a rental car. A few days after the purchase, I noticed a shake at highway speeds. The dealership tried to balance the tires, but found that the belts inside the tires were slipped. The dealership put all new tires on it for free. A few months later, I found that one of the leather seats had a repair on it.  I also had numerous problems with the body control module, but it was repaired under warranty. After a year, the rear bumper paint started peeling, revealing that the rear bumper was repaired previously. The plastic bumper had several cracks and was barely held together. The repair job  was horrible, but just good enough to make it out of warranty. I will never make this mistake again! Rental cars are too big of a gamble just to save a few bucks. 

For future reference... if you find a non certified truck that’s well within the age and mileage requirements, I would be highly suspicious. Some dealers claim that it costs them money to certify vehicles and they just didn’t certify it because not everyone wants to pay for the extra cost. The reality is... it costs them next to nothing to certify a vehicle and they could make more money if it was certified. They’ll never tell you why, but rest assured, there’s a reason. I recently came across one GM dealer that said they don’t certify anything, but will certify vehicles at the customer’s request, for a fee (much greater than the actual cost)

Edited by boilers

?voice of experience.  They are there to make money, that is what they do.

Just be smart in your interaction with the salesperson and don’t commit to anything that you are not completely sure you want. I would suggest going through the process, but leaving the dealership to clear your head and make your decision without anyone standing over you.

• Like 1