Ball joint popped out

Is this a know issue? 

2018 1500 double cab.

3" front 2.5" rear lift/level

34" tires (275/65r20 yes I had to trim wheel well fabric)

Hit a pot hole yesterday and the upper ball joint popped out. It's still driveable the ball joint is just no longer pressed into the a arm.

Truck has 7k miles on it. Lift/tires have been on since new. I had the same lift/tires on my previous 2015 Silverado for 30k miles with no issues at all. 

Edited by Toallhisdoom

Don't know if this a known issue but if the upper ball joint is really "popped" out the truck is not driveable ! 

The ball joint needs to be replaced immediately !

The truck is not safe to drive in this condition. 

Is this a know issue? 
2018 1500 double cab.
3" front 2.5" rear lift/level
34" tires (275/65r20 yes I had to trim wheel well fabric)
Hit a pot hole yesterday and the upper ball joint popped out. It's still driveable the ball joint is just no longer pressed into the a arm.
Truck has 7k miles on it. Lift/tires have been on since new. I had the same lift/tires on my previous 2015 Silverado for 30k miles with no issues at all. 
Dear God, that truck is NOT drivable if the ball joint is free of the control arm.

Get it fixed before you drive it again. Do NOT drive it to a dealer/mechanic. Have it towed and tell the tow truck driver what's going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

is it a "lift"?  or a "level"?  If its a leveling kit, you have too much. 

Readylift has a detailed explination on trucks with the stamped steel arms and leveling kits:

https://www.readylift.com/blog/2017/07/11/upper-control-arms/

https://www.readylift.com/2-25-front-leveling-kit-w-control-arms-gm-1500-truck-suv-6-lug-2017-2018.html

ReadyLIFT has engineered the perfect solution for leveling the 2017-2018 GM 1500 trucks. GM changed the upper control arms on the GM 1500 pickups to a stamped steel upper control arm that provides minimal structural support for the factory ball joint when in a lifted or leveled scenario. This has resulted in GM mandating no lift kits or leveling kits are to be installed on these new vehicles. 

At ReadyLIFT our goal is provide accurate and safe lifting and leveling solutions for our customers. Our engineering team has developed the perfect leveling solution for these new GM 1500 trucks that includes our popular CNC machined billet aircraft grade aluminum 2.25" leveling kit along with strong DOM-tube steel upper control arms. These new control arms are a direct replacement for the factory stamped steel arms and includes our proprietary heavy-duty ball joints and an industry first maintenance free anti-resistance bushing assembly that is self lubricating and features a free-rotating inner sleeve.. With this new leveling kit/control arm combination (PN 66-3086) you can now level the 2017-2018 GM 1500 trucks with assurance the vehicle will sit level, maintain the factory ride and you have the peace of mind you will never have the factory stamped steel control arm failure. 

https://www.readylift.com/2-25-front-leveling-kit-gm-full-size-truck-suv-1500-ld-6-lug-2007-2018.html

NOTE: This kit will work on new 2015-2018 GM 1500 Trucks!  If your truck is a 2017 with stamped steel upper control arms, this kit will require either aftermarket upper control arms -or- the purchase of the Aluminum factory upper control arms. The stamped steel control arms on the 2017 models are known to have issues with ball-joints becoming compromised when leveling or lifting the suspension.

Edited by newdude

It seems to me GM is trying to stop us from lifting and getting bigger wheels for our trucks;

-the Upper Control arm design limits level/lift.

-square wheel wells that converge towards the bottom that limit tire size

-stock tire sizes are generally smaller than Ford/Ram

-weaker control arm material, less strength to support lifts and larger tires.

-19’ trucks have a large brake cover that prevents a lot of aftermarket wheels from fitting

Just look at BDS’ website and compare the amount of lift needed on GMs to other brands to fit like sizes tires (33/35/37).

Anything else I am forgetting? 

Edited by cr250Silverado

8 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Now that's funny right there.?

Sorry I couldn't resist

Yep, kept my mouth shut long enough for him to post the inevitable...not covered :uhoh:

• Like 1