Every vehicle I have ever purchased has had a towing package. This being my first Chevy (2017 Suburban) I assumed that a towing package on the sticker meant it had a towing package. Apparently, GM does things differently. There is a "Towing Equipment Package" and a "Max Trailering package." The equipment package simply means the vehicle comes with a hitch and light connector and 3.08 gears, period. With this you can tow up to 6300 pounds. The trailering package includes a lower gear ratio (3.42), airbags, heavy duty suspension and a trailer brake controller. With this you can tow up to 8400 pounds. These are the only differences according to GM. We want to get a travel trailer, but the ones we are considering will put us in the 7000-8000 pound range when loaded. If I have the rear end regeared, add air bags and a brake controller can I tow the heavier trailer? Finding a new Suburban with the Max Trailering Package is near impossible, and you can't get it on a Premier, so I would have to give up a lot of the bells and whistles I have on my current LT. I really like my truck and don't want to trade it in even if I could find one with the Max trailer package. What say you?

If I were in your situation, I'd do exactly what you suggested; regear, add a brake controller and maybe airbags if needed.  A trailer that size is going to need a weight distribution hitch anyhow so the air bags may not be needed.  This would be a lot cheaper than the depreciation hit you'd take if you traded in on another Sub so soon.  Do some research and see if there's an existing plug-in under the dash for an aftermarket brake controller.  This would make it much easier to add one.  My 2008 Silverado had a harness tucked under the dash to connect to the controller then a fuse was added to the correct place in the fuse block.  

If your Sub is 4x4, you will need to regear both front and back but that shouldn't run more than $2500 at a reputable shop, maybe cheaper if you shop around.  I had my 2010 Wrangler regeared front and rear for around $1400.

• Like 1

Certainly won't help you find one, but the  2017 order guide says the NHT (max tow) IS available on Premier.

From order guide for 2017 suburban:

NHT         Max Trailering Package 
LS - Included with (PDP) All-Season Package. Includes (GU6) 3.42 rear axle ratio, (JL1) Trailer brake controller and (Z85) Suspension Package. 4WD models also include (NQH) 2-speed active Transfer case. 
LT - Includes (GU6) 3.42 rear axle ratio, (JL1) Trailer brake controller and (Z85) Suspension Package. 4WD models also include (NQH) 2-speed active Transfer case. (NHT) is not available with (Z71) Off-Road Package or (WJP) Z71 Midnight Edition. 
Premier - Includes (GU6) 3.42 rear axle ratio and (JL1) Trailer brake controller. 4WD models also include (NQH) 2-speed active Transfer case.

Z85    Suspension Package, Standard, increased capacity, Premium Smooth Ride with Air leveler
LS - Included and only available with (NHT) Maximum Trailering Package or (PDP) All-Season Package. 
LT - Included and only available with (NHT) Maximum Trailering Package. 

Z95    Suspension Package, Magnetic Ride Control, road sensing electronically controlled shock absorbers

Standard on Premier

JL1    Trailer brake controller, integrated
LS - Included and only available with (NHT) Maximum Trailering Package or (PDP) All-Season Package. 
LT,  Premier - Included and only available with (NHT) Maximum Trailering Package

Z82    Trailering equipment, includes trailering hitch platform, 7-wire harness with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a 7-way sealed connector and 2" trailering receiver

Standard on all trims.

NP0    Transfer case, active, single-speed, electronic Autotrac with rotary controls, does not include neutral. Cannot be dinghy towed
Standard on all trims - Requires 4WD model. Not available with (NHT) Max Trailering Package.   

NQH         Transfer case, active, 2-speed electronic Autotrac with rotary controls, includes neutral position for dinghy towing
LS - Requires 4WD models. Included with (NHT) Maximum Trailering Package and (PDP) All-Season Package. 
LT - Requires 4WD models. Included with (NHT) Maximum Trailering Package, (Z71) Off-Road Package and (WJP) Z71 Midnight Edition. 
Premier - Requires 4WD models. Included with (NHT) Maximum Trailering Package.

16 minutes ago, newdude said:

Changing all those things doesn't legally raise your capacities.

I'd be shopping. 

If those things are the only physical differences between the vehicles then why wouldn't it? Same frame, same engine, same hitch, same running gear (except for gear ratio).

1 hour ago, Miami Son said:

If those things are the only physical differences between the vehicles then why wouldn't it? Same frame, same engine, same hitch, same running gear (except for gear ratio).

Doesn't change the GVWR and GCWR, especially the GCWR.  You scale it with a re-gear, your combined weight is still 12000lbs.  With max trailer its 14000lbs GCWR.  If the trailer you desire is 7000-8000lbs, you are over weight right off the bat, before even adding people, gear, etc. 

If you were to be stopped and they questioned your weight of the vehicle and scaled it, you'd have a problem. 

Simply put, the legal, built weights of the vehicle do not change when re-gearing. 

A 7000-8000lbs trailer (not including people/gear/etc.) would probably put even a max trailer equipped Suburban right at its limit too for weight.  Run out of remaining payload really quick if you consider 10-15% of the trailer weight should be tongue weight.  

Edited by newdude

I'm not trying to increase the GVWR, just approximate what a similarly equipped Suburban would be able to tow. Went to a Chevy dealer yesterday and talked to a couple of the mechanics. They agree that all the differences between a Suburban with and without the Max Trailer Package can be retrofitted fairly easily, although it will cost a lot more than the $520 the package costs as an option. I'm also not looking to tow at the max. I just want a trailer and gear around 6500-6800 pounds. That's not enough to make trading in on another Suburban worthwhile or cost effective.

• 3 weeks later...

I found some good info on my new Suburban in the trailer guide.

https://www.chevrolet.com/truck-life/trailering-and-towing-guide

The Max Towing with the extra added oil coolers is nice. And long term you will need it, really need to watch trans temps and oil temps without those. Which I dont have but I do have a factory trailer brake controller. Odd they would do that. 

Weight distributing hitch would be a must, no surprise there, watch your tongue weight, axle rating, and installed tire rating, as to not exceed you GVWR or the individual ratings of any item.

Unsure on tounge weight you can also use a bathroom scale with some wood set up that method is listed in most trailer owners manuals. It's a neat trick I ran across in my research, recently towed a 35' camper was about 9600lb with a different vehicle.

Weight Safe makes a neat ball mount with a built in scale for tounge weight. They are very slick products I have a Class V version no scale but very nice on a different truck.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/

GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) for mine is listed in that guide at 14k. Would I feel comfortable towing at the upper end, nope.... says max trailer weight of 7,900 again for mine. Would have to weigh the truck with to get a base line. Since 7500 GVWR + 7900 GTW is 15,400 which is over the GCWR. Not sure what the buffer actually is loaded truck and trailer vs unloaded truck and trailer. There is no requirement for "Max Trailering" anything listed, just common sense applies these are not inexpensive vehicles so why beat them into the ground. Air Bags and coolers are the way to go if you can afford them.

Alot of the trailers are listed how they calculated the weight, with water, without... with fuel tanks full... ect..... look that up for the trailer you are looking at. Also alot of places will deliver and set up your trailer for you if you dont plan on moving around.

Do the homework, work out the math, happy motoring....

Here is what I moved last week, not with my Chevy. This would squat both my Chevy's. And be very unsafe.

20190401_154504.thumb.jpg.78cebb4fb047746afd54929c61bf3b93.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm in the same boat!  I am surprised that a very expensive vehicle should be traded in or ordered just to get the towing capabilities.  After all it is still a Suburban!  I have the premier but without the Max Trailering package.  It would seem logical that I should be able to have the dealer install it for a ridiculous cost, but I have yet to find one that agrees.  Any help would be appreciated.  We have 4 kids and 2 adults wanting to pull a trailer but have yet to pull the plug since we are stuck on the tow vehicle.  Are there any good options since we would need at least a 6000 pound trailer?  We have a 2018 Premier with 4 x 4 and unfortunately 22'in wheels.