2014 Sierra 5.3 6speed Rumble strip vibration

This topic has been rehearsed a million times by now but mainly over the 8 speeds.

Not much can be found on the 6 speed.

I will be following up with pictures and videos with my findings but I’d like some guidance along the way.

I purchased the truck about 2 months ago and the truck just had the normal “Chevy shake”. It starts around 65 and continues with speed. I inflated my tires to max press and it cured it by about 50%. Nitto terra grappler G2 75% tread. I know the tires are good and balanced. The truck had the whole front end redone along with balanced tires in December.

So along with the whole front end being replaced by the previous owner it only leads me to believe the truck began shaking on him and he eventually found it was more than the front end. So he decided to sell it... 

(That’s my guess)

So at this point the truck still has AFM. And it shifted alittle hard a few times due to the transitioning between v4 and v8 depending on my driving due to traffic and so forth.

3 days ago I started to get the “Rumble Strip” vibration through the whole truck.

It occurs when I’m under light acceleration above 35mph to about 60mph. 

Ive done hours and hours of research and speaking with FB forums and I’ve narrowed it down to

-AFM

-Torque converter

-Transmission needs flushing due to the torque converter.

- Torque converter solenoid needs programming.

-ABS (I have a bad sensor) possibly engaging causing a vibration. (Although I cant feel it in the pedal)

-Broken motor mount

So my question is mainly on the Torque converter.

-What is the likely cause of the “Rumble Strip” vibration?

-What steps can be taken before replacing?

(Flushing the tranny?)

(Replacing the filter and changing the tranny fluid 2-3 times to remover the torque converter wear?)

- Can the solenoid be reprogrammed?

I want to create a useful forum for the future that others can get “factual” and real “information” from.

I will be demonstrating a runout with a dial indicator on the driveshaft. 

I will I’ll be posting pictures and diagnosis follow ups on all my findings.

Hopefully some of you can shed some light on the situation. Thank you all in advance! 

When you get the vibration look at your RPMs and see if they are bouncing. It's what mine was doing (8 speed) but it was the torque converter... they flushed it a few times and did great for about 1000 miles before it came back. It started at about 8000k miles and I traded it in at about 27k miles.. wish you all the best in fixing it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

My 2014 has an off and on rumble strip feeling that is very random. But it does it daily. For some weird Reason if I was under the front of the truck really well it gets better for about 1/2 a day. Can’t find anything that would explain the rumble. Truck does seem to be slipping off and on as well when excelling. ?‍♀️

• 1 month later...

I have a 2016 Sierra 1500 6 speed with 54,000 that has developed the commonly described “rumble strip” issue. It feels exactly like driving over highway rumble strips, happens at various cruising speeds, and doesn’t happen while decelerating. The tachometer also wanders up and down 100-200 rpm while cruising. The happens while cruise control is set or not. I see the TSB for the 8 speed, but I have a 6 speed with identical symptoms. any suggestions ?

• 1 month later...

I have the same Rumble strip noise coming from my 2014 Silverado, 6 speed.    The rumble strip noise seems to be random as well, and at times I noticed the tach increasing in RPM's, by only 100 or 200 RPM during this time.  I then decided to hit the gas the moment the rumbling began and it stopped immediately.  So then I drove on the highway using manual shift for about 45 minutes and never encountered the rumble strip sound and vibration, other than actual defects in the road surface.  So I'm not certain what's causing the issue.

Also, It does shift hard during moderate to slow acceleration from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd, but if you accelerate quickly (not hammering it) from a stop the shift is fine.

Any advice from you folks?

I have the same Rumble strip noise coming from my 2014 Silverado, 6 speed.    The rumble strip noise seems to be random as well, and at times I noticed the tach increasing in RPM's, by only 100 or 200 RPM during this time.  I then decided to hit the gas the moment the rumbling began and it stopped immediately.  So then I drove on the highway using manual shift for about 45 minutes and never encountered the rumble strip sound and vibration, other than actual defects in the road surface.  So I'm not certain what's causing the issue.

Also, It does shift hard during moderate to slow acceleration from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd, but if you accelerate quickly (not hammering it) from a stop the shift is fine.

20 hours ago, Phil Dewhurst said:

I ended up going to the dealer with a video and armed with the TSB and they ended up doing the fluid flush under warranty. The “rumble strip” sensation went away, however, more odd things started happening. I began getting a subtle rumble, more like a hesitation all the time while accelerating. Once my foot is off the gas, it goes away. I also made a video of the transmission so major rpm after a downshift. I’d accelerate, take my foot off the gas, the rpm would dramatically go down, then up 1000 rpm, then down 1000rpm, then up. This even happened in manual mode, so they were not shifts. I’m going to continue sending the truck in while it’s under warranty. I refuse to pay money for such a piece of shit, and get no response from GM. 

21 hours ago, Phil Dewhurst said:

Thank you for this ...  In the beginning, did the 'rumble strip' sensation happen all the time or just occasionally?  

It would happen occasionally, and it was very pronounced, exactly like rumble strips. It took me awhile to realize what it was. I starting thinking is was tires, suspension, differential, and even new rumble strips everywhere. Haha. It would have only at cruise, on the throttle, and at around 1500 rpm. Only problem is that the TSB for the 8 speed, not the 6 speed. The flush, which is the fix on that TSB, is like $500 out of warranty. I’m sending mine back in, as there was obviously damage done and the fluid flush can’t repair that 

• 1 year later...
On 2/19/2020 at 10:21 AM, Phil Dewhurst said:

One last question if  I may,  my truck when shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, some times it seems to stutter during the shift,  if my acceleration is moderate.  On fast acceleration it shifts fine.  Did yours do that too?

Mine does

Try this.... Have tuner remove the Lock up converter for 1-5th gear.  disable V4 mode, or drive in M5.this worked for my 6 speed. I have HPtuner diy it

also you need to perform the relearn function on the TCU, purge function is also good to clear out the cobwebbs

Edited by pokismoki