Android Auto microphone button

On my old truck, I could push the speak button on the steering wheel. On the new Silverado, it seems the only way is by pressing the microphone button on the screen.

I tried looking up the settings and I was hoping some of you guys might have a workaround.. is there a way I can use the speak button on the steering wheel of the Silverado to give Android Auto a destination?

Pushing the PTT [Push to Talk Button] for a short time brings up the Vehicle response while pressing it for a longer duration while the phone is connected to a Usb cable for Android Auto will

initiate the Android Auto App [if not running at the present time] and wait for a command. If AA is running, it will display the Google Voice simulator and await a command. Then you use the Google commands to make a call or find a destination.

Edited by Rocz3cqg
  • Like 1

Note that you may also need to tell your phone how to process the command. With the screen on, long press. The phone may prompt to select which app to use. Samsung phones with Bixby are like this. You have an option of processing with Google or Bixby.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Just say "ok Google". No buttons needed

My last four phones.. two LG, a Huawei, and a Samsung..

I have NEVER been able to get "OK Google" to work. Tried wiping everything out and the first thing I did was try to set up OK Google but wouldn't let me say it three times. I tried making it English-only but that didn't work either. It's a common problem.

1 hour ago, martha3065 said:

Note that you may also need to tell your phone how to process the command. With the screen on, long press. The phone may prompt to select which app to use. Samsung phones with Bixby are like this. You have an option of processing with Google or Bixby.

Fortunately, not in my case, but that's good to know. I never knew about the long press and that works for me!

I wish OK Google, Hola Google, or Hey Google worked with my phone. It seems to be a common thing with many Android phones. Never owned a Pixel but my friend had one and I was surprised it worked!

The long press worked very well and now I'm very happy!