Grinding Noise... anyone else noticed it?

So I have 4400 miles on my Silverado... early on, I noticed a faint grinding noise in 2wd while traveling down the road. It quits doing it when I put it in 4wd auto. I want to know if anyone else has noticed this noise... 

I have found that that it is coming from the transfer case.... dealership has heard it and they replaced it and after driving it another 1000 miles, the noise came back. My dads Silverado makes the same noise. 

Ive tried to ignore the sound but I can’t.

Edited by Aycock1987
  • Like 1

Strange.

Normally the "grinding" whining noise is clearly a normal occurrence when 4wd Auto is on, not off.

This goes back to GMT800 with the introduction of AutoTrac Transfer cases and Auto 4wd.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2019 Chevy Z71 is doing the same thing.  4,000 miles.  So far they have replaced the front drive shaft and that didn't fix it.  Now they are in the process of replacing the front differential, been in the shop over 2 weeks now!   We'll see how it turns out when I get it back!    Unbelievable

• Like 1

I am having the same issue and have since 500 miles.  They'replaced the front differential but is still making the grinding noise.  Kinda sounds like a metal on metal noise that seems to be louder the more you drive it.  Mine stops making the noise in 4WD as well.  Update if you get any resolution.

On 4/28/2019 at 3:26 PM, z71 man said:

My 2019 Chevy Z71 is doing the same thing.  4,000 miles.  So far they have replaced the front drive shaft and that didn't fix it.  Now they are in the process of replacing the front differential, been in the shop over 2 weeks now!   We'll see how it turns out when I get it back!    Unbelievable

What's so unbelievable about it?

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:26 PM, z71 man said:

They replaced my Differential and transfer case a few months back and I thought it helped but now I am hearing it again. I don't know what the deal is. I guess I am just going to have to live with it. Give an update after they replace your differential.

Same here.  About 2,000 miles.  Was coming home from Tahoe and heard it, quietly, but it was there.  Put it in 4 Auto and the noise was gone.  Back to 2H, the ringing began.  Glad I’m not alone, or crazy.  Sounds like it’s time for a trip to the service department.  

I took my 2019 in on April 29th and was told today that the differential that they ordered for my new truck would be several more days til it's in.  It will have spent more time in the shop than not after this is replaced.  Good luck to everyone having this issue.  Very disappointed to say the least.  

Update -    Got my 2019 Z71 back today after 3/12 weeks in the shop. Drove it around most of the day and so far no grinding noise.  They replaced the front differential. If it starts making the noise again its going straight back  to the service department.

• Like 1

Here is what the paperwork said when I got my 2019 Z71 back out of the shop. Was able to move  drivers side slinger  in and out to reproduce the noise and it did. They said the drivers side stub shaft was coming in contact with the carrier center pin. They replaced the whole front axle with a new one and so far it has stopped.  Hope this information helps someone else.

18 hours ago, z71 man said:

Here is what the paperwork said when I got my 2019 Z71 back out of the shop. Was able to move  drivers side slinger  in and out to reproduce the noise and it did. They said the drivers side stub shaft was coming in contact with the carrier center pin. They replaced the whole front axle with a new one and so far it has stopped.  Hope this information helps someone else.

Look here for the Jingle Jingle thread for more good information. Been there done that slinger schminger removed then it stopped then they put a new one on and it started again, greased boots no luck, now a new differential is on order waiting and waiting for the part to arrive, in the mean time I filed lemon law case with the BBB im mad as hell and im not going to take it any any longer. Im telling you file with the BBB check your States Lemon laws the worst that can happen is GM will have to give us new revised 2020 Trucks. Most States say 4 repair attempts or a total of 30 days out of service and they must buy it back or replace it. No more first year GM vehicles for me!

Edited by ILSilverado

• 2 weeks later...

WOW I have had the same issue, first they said transfer case, then rubber boot, and then differential, then the one (differential) they replaced came back with noise worse than before, after warm up rotating noise..  trippy!  I have had this problem from day one of ownership.  I'll be sure to book mark this thread see how many others are out there. I am currently still waiting on fix for this issue.

• 9 months later...

Back in November I bought a used '19 Silverado Legacy and noticed the grinding noise only in 4H only when turning. Does not have it in Auto or 2H, have not tried it in 4L. Really haven't had a use for 4x4 mode till we got all this rain in GA and used it going in and out of my driveway. I've also only been keeping it in 2H. Thought about contacting dealership about issue but I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

• 10 months later...

hi guys i have the same annoying grinding issue with my 2019 ltz.  super looking truck and very comfy. but for a 43K price tag i'm very upset with the jerky shifting and this grinding under my seat. The dealer in paramus nj. sad they never heard any complain like this..  Big BS.  Some one suggested to change the fluid to Mobil synthetic. is that work??? anyone?