Carplay Messages

Is there any way to get a text messages to be displayed on the dash?  From everything I've read on the net, it's up the manufacturer to decide if they display the message, or just read it.  I'm assuming that GM has decided to only read it.

Are there any mods that change this behavior (something like the NAV while moving type mod)?

you ask Siri to read/send your message, simple enough, thats why its called hands free/apple carplay for a reason.  You can use maps while in motion you just ask Siri, or use Waze 

sometimes I want to slap that Siri "beach"

Edited by camcamaro1991

16 minutes ago, camcamaro1991 said:

you ask Siri to read/send your message, simple enough, thats why its called hands free/apple carplay for a reason.  You can use maps while in motion you just ask Siri, or use Waze 

sometimes I want to slap that Siri "beach"

I understand that, but there are times I'd like to be able to see the words.

Additionally, Siri will only ready you the content of a message that you received AFTER Carplay was connected.  I can't go back and listen to a message that I read before I got in the truck.

Is it really that big of deal to read a text? I don't think it is, but I am the kind of person that doesn't give a F who text's me or calls, I will answer when I answer. Then remove it from apple car play and do what all the 50+ year olds do and drive down the highway glued to their phones doing 40mph in the left lane. 

9 minutes ago, camcamaro1991 said:

Is it really that big of deal to read a text? I don't think it is, but I am the kind of person that doesn't give a F who text's me or calls, I will answer when I answer. Then remove it from apple car play and do what all the 50+ year olds do and drive down the highway glued to their phones doing 40mph in the left lane. 

You have your take and I have mine.  Guess we will just have to agree to disagree.  Let's move this conversation along and see if there are actually any other ways to accomplish what I'd like to do.

So far, we appear to have one way and that's jail breaking the phone.  Any others?

8 minutes ago, ksiesel said:

You have your take and I have mine.  Guess we will just have to agree to disagree.  Let's move this conversation along and see if there are actually any other ways to accomplish what I'd like to do.

So far, we appear to have one way and that's jail breaking the phone.  Any others?

Have you tried going into your setting on your iPhone?  Go to Bluetooth setting and tap on the blue "i" next to your truck connection.  I believe there is a setting that will allow you to display your text on the carplay.

3 minutes ago, shadrickjm said:

Have you tried going into your setting on your iPhone?  Go to Bluetooth setting and tap on the blue "i" next to your truck connection.  I believe there is a setting that will allow you to display your text on the carplay.

Good suggestion.  I looked there and don't see that setting.  What I'm trying to do is not using Bluetooth though, it's the Carplay setting.  At any rate, I looked at both of them and neither seems to have a setting specific to Messages.

Just now, ksiesel said:

Good suggestion.  I looked there and don't see that setting.  What I'm trying to do is not using Bluetooth though, it's the Carplay setting.  At any rate, I looked at both of them and neither seems to have a setting specific to Messages.

I think you need bluetooth connected in order to use carplay

17 minutes ago, shadrickjm said:

I think you need bluetooth connected in order to use carplay

The bluetooth actually automatically disconnects when I plug in the lightning connector.  Carplay will not function over bluetooth.