2019 GMC SIERRA DENALI HD

41 minutes ago, Kathy Donofrio Wheeler said:

We have a 2019 Sierra GMC Denali HD.  In less than 2 weeks we have had to put in 6 gallons of DEF Fluid with No leaks reported.  Has anyone else had this issue.

Your dealer may have not filled it if you just purchased it.  They are supposed to be filled upon delivery.  2017 and newer hold 7 gallons.   

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Same thing on my 2019.  DEF was not full when new from dealer and had to take it back at 700 miles.  I took it back and made them fill it.  Should last 6000-6500 miles and lineup with oil change intervals.

Even if they don't give you any $ back. Let them know, they always are asking for 10s on those stupid dealer survey's.

Maybe the next person will benefit from your complaints. 

They must not sell many diesel's. 

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Kathy Donofrio Wheeler said:

We brought it back after it got low dealer said they filled it.  300 miles later had have it towed was st 5 percent.  Another GM dealer put 5 gallons and 200 miles later another gallon. There is only 2400 miles on the truck.  There is no leaks 

The first dealer said they filled it when they delivered the truck to you?  Or they filled it when you first took it back and noticed it was low in a couple hundred miles? 

51 minutes ago, newdude said:

The first dealer said they filled it when they delivered the truck to you?  Or they filled it when you first took it back and noticed it was low in a couple hundred miles? 

The dealer we bought it from filled it when we noticed it was at 14 percent about 1000 miles.  The claimed they filled it said it would reset about 300 miles later was at 5 percent.  Had to have it towed to another gm dealer who said there is no wY they filled it they added 6 gallons.  

13 minutes ago, Kathy Donofrio Wheeler said:

The dealer we bought it from filled it when we noticed it was at 14 percent about 1000 miles.  The claimed they filled it said it would reset about 300 miles later was at 5 percent.  Had to have it towed to another gm dealer who said there is no wY they filled it they added 6 gallons.  

It sounds like the first dealer didn't fill it at all.  Dealer # two seems to have helped however and filled it properly.  Any messages now?  Does it indicate a percentage or does it just say "DEF Level OK"?   

'DEF tank not filled' has been an ongoing issues since the first GM DEF duramax (LML) in 2011 model year. 

It has been a constant source of discussion on a couple of the forums that focus on the dmaxes.

My LML wasn't filled by dealer, but my current one was filled, and they also gave me a 2.5 gal jug to take home....

The first time I added def was at 6800 miles.  Added the provided jug and then filled the rest with bulk def at truckstop.

For next fill I decided to trunk it down til the truck thought the tank was empty.  Next fill was at 13,800 miles (so 7000 mile interval).  Messages received were as outlined in the Diesel supplement. (It was at the 'def tank empty/xxx miles to 65 mph limit' stage)

Filled it from a bulk pump and it took 24.04L/6.35USgal.  Capacity is supposed to be 7 gal, so it wasn't empty OR the 7 gal isn't all 'usable', or tank had an air pocket and I didn't get it filled.

Both fills worked out to about 1100 usmpg.

Truck is usually lightly worked and averages about 18 mpg, so def usage about 1.6%  of fuel, which is in the expected range.

Another 6 or 7000 miles I can check it again.

Mine ran out a month from receiving the vehicle at about 3700km. Hahahahahahaha. Went to another dealer, gave me a deal (checked around, it was a good deal) on fluid, then they had a young fella put it in. He called it ‘goat piss’. No issues since, currently at about 8700km.