GM rear wheel house liner install tips

Local dealer said 84263801 was the pn for the double cab T1s.  Parts ended up fitting okay but the instructions are terrible/wrong.  Here's what I learned.

(be advised I have a Silverado LT)

You need to remove the existing trim/flap pieces and pull out the outside square nut in back, u nut in front (leave the rest).  When you replace that outside screw it'll pickup the U nuts that comes on the liner.  There are cutouts in the liner for the other nuts.

The rear trim piece is held on with two white pop fasteners that slide into the plastic trim piece body.  You want to pop those out from the back and not just

gently pry from the front or you can break the tabs on the trim piece (ask me how I know)

The expanding square nuts go into the square cutouts in the wheel well, NOT the 'back of the wheel house liner' like the instructions say.

The 'plastic threaded nuts' have no threads.  I used one of the T15 screws in the kit as a tap.  Leave 5 threads showing or you'll bottom out the scre/dimple the back of the nut.

These are the fiber mat type, similar to the fronts.

The whole thing doesnt fit as tight as my father in laws GMT900 Z71 at the ends but not badly and I am happy to have these in.  Looks way better than the white bed showing.

20190427_145554.jpg

Edited by zzrsouth
clarity
  • Like 3

I've been thinking about adding them also, cleaning the wheel wells is a pain with all of the screws sticking into the wheel well to clean around. How much did they cost?

39 minutes ago, 383 said:

I've been thinking about adding them also, cleaning the wheel wells is a pain with all of the screws sticking into the wheel well to clean around. How much did they cost?

$150 for the set OEM. 

I like the new style, too. They’re not plastic but kind of a fabric material. I find they clean nice and I don’t have to scrub them with a brush to get them truly clean. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LeadUtensil said:

thanks for the heads up! just bought a trail boss today (white one) and this will be the first mod. 

Curious to know if you do it with the wheel installed or not.  I left mine on but they're the 17" OEM wheels and thus had a fair amount of space around them.

My dealer was supposed install them when I picked my truck up, but they didn't. So while I was in the finance office getting it done, they put them on in the parking lot. Didn't take them that long, and they didn't have to remove the wheels. I have 20" RST wheels. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the write-up, just installed mine.  $165 from my dealer.  

Except mine wasn't any kind of kit, just the liners with those two metal threaded u-clips on them, no instructions provided.

Looks like you got little expanding nuts for the square holes, and screws to go into them?  My dealer parts guy said to use those little black plastic push rivets.  Offered to sell them to me for $4 bucks a piece ($56 for the 14 rivets needed).  I just got this push rivet kit for 10 bucks off Amazon, even came with a tool, it was the 9mm size that fit.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FV5ZJL3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

Question -- there are three threaded like sheet metal screws screws sticking out from the top of each wheelwell, and holes for them in the liner.  Did you put anything on those?  I'm thinking some of these little starlock retaining washers.

Edited by scdaren

Your dealer ripped you off, should've came with a bag with 14 square nuts, 14 screws, 2 retaining washers and 4 plastic nuts. Cost $150 straight from GM delivered to your dealer.

You can download the instructions with all the contents listed if you just go to chevy.com and look up the liners under owners section and go to accessories. The instructions are bad but they do get you the general idea.

ISheets_84263803.pdf

16 hours ago, Dbishop said:

Your dealer ripped you off, should've came with a bag with 14 square nuts, 14 screws, 2 retaining washers and 4 plastic nuts. Cost $150 straight from GM delivered to your dealer.

You can download the instructions with all the contents listed if you just go to chevy.com and look up the liners under owners section and go to accessories. The instructions are bad but they do get you the general idea.

ISheets_84263803.pdf

Ugh those idiots. Thank you for telling me this. I specifically asked to buy it as an accessory and they told me it was sold as a part. I see it now on the Chevy website. 

Going to have to go have a talk with them. Of course now I have them installed with the rivets, not sure it's worth the trouble to pull all those out and redo it. Maybe I can make them do it. 

UPDATE -- Dealer is going to refund the price difference and get me to proper fasteners for install.  Though of course I'll need to do the reinstall myself.  Or I'll just save them in case I see the push rivets I used starting to fail.

But note to all -- make sure when you buy the liners, you get it as an "accessory" and not parts.

Edited by scdaren
  • Like 1