android auto

Why can't you connect to the android auto wirelessly?  don't understand how it works I guess but I hate having to have a cord plugged in when there's bluetooth and wireless charging it seems like there would be a better way.  Possibly something that could come with system update later?

edited after some research.  Still should be able to do it with built in wifi and an app that could be downloaded.

Edited by Robwcormack

It's the same reason your laptop cannot connect to an external monitor via Bluetooth. There's just too much data being transferred at a high rate of speed. It has to be corded, since the radio turns into an external display for the phone when you use AA or CarPlay. 

I notice that my sound system is more robust when I plug the phone into CarPlay, and my calls are even clearer, too. 

Going corded - though I agree it's a bit annoying - has its benefits. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, econometrics said:

It's the same reason your laptop cannot connect to an external monitor via Bluetooth. There's just too much data being transferred at a high rate of speed. It has to be corded, since the radio turns into an external display for the phone when you use AA or CarPlay. 

I notice that my sound system is more robust when I plug the phone into CarPlay, and my calls are even clearer, too. 

But our trucks have built in wifi.  There should be no need for internet connection to transfer from phone to truck via that wifi connection, and that would be plenty fast to get it done.  Sounds like OnStar can capitalize on it so they have to interest in making it work.

7 minutes ago, Robwcormack said:

But our trucks have built in wifi.  There should be no need for internet connection to transfer from phone to truck via that wifi connection, and that would be plenty fast to get it done.  Sounds like OnStar can capitalize on it so they have to interest in making it work.

IF you continue the wifi plan and the most of us do not. 

21 minutes ago, Robwcormack said:

The tech is just not there yet... not in a truck, or beyond this. This is why you cannot AirPlay from your Computer to an Apple TV via a FaceTime call or phone call yet. 

The next step, I think, will be Apple or Android embedding apps IN the car systems, which run CarPlay natively, and not through your phone. Instead of using a cord to connect, you just connect your phone to the app running in the truck, much like Apple does with an iPhone to Watch. 

31 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

IF you continue the wifi plan and the most of us do not. 

Shouldn't matter if you continue the AT&T wifi plan.  The wifi "router" is still in the truck and shouldn't require a data plan to connect to your phone.  It could simply be used as a local network between the truck and your phone allowing you to use the android auto or apple play (or whatever it's called) wirelessly.  

20 minutes ago, econometrics said:

The tech is just not there yet... not in a truck, or beyond this. This is why you cannot AirPlay from your Computer to an Apple TV via a FaceTime call or phone call yet. 

The next step, I think, will be Apple or Android embedding apps IN the car systems, which run CarPlay natively, and not through your phone. Instead of using a cord to connect, you just connect your phone to the app running in the truck, much like Apple does with an iPhone to Watch. 

The tech is built in because you have what is basically a wifi router in the truck.  You'd just need to create a local network.  much like in your home if you have a wifi printer.  if your computer and printer are both connected to the same wifi router in your home (i.e. local network) then you can print to that printer regardless of whether or not the internet is running.  It's not new technology at all.  And google released android auto wireless last year.  There is a developer who has been working on an app that would use a amazon stick or device with wifi hotspot capability to do exactly this same thing, but we already have it built in these trucks.

1 minute ago, Robwcormack said:

The tech is built in because you have what is basically a wifi router in the truck.  You'd just need to create a local network.  much like in your home if you have a wifi printer.  if your computer and printer are both connected to the same wifi router in your home (i.e. local network) then you can print to that printer regardless of whether or not the internet is running.  It's not new technology at all.  And google released android auto wireless last year.  There is a developer who has been working on an app that would use a amazon stick or device with wifi hotspot capability to do exactly this same thing, but we already have it built in these trucks.

You're already a long way down a technological fix vs. your original question "Why can't we just do this via Bluetooth?"

It is a truck radio, not a home network system with extra hardware. Give it time, I'm sure we'll see something in the next 5 years. I think it will come through an embedded app, though, not a faster wireless connection to the truck and phone. 

15 minutes ago, econometrics said:

You're already a long way down a technological fix vs. your original question "Why can't we just do this via Bluetooth?"

It is a truck radio, not a home network system with extra hardware. Give it time, I'm sure we'll see something in the next 5 years. I think it will come through an embedded app, though, not a faster wireless connection to the truck and phone. 

true.  did a bit of research after the initial post to realize the problem and potential solution.  It doesn't require a complicated system.  An app and the existing hardware are all that's needed.  It's just going to take an app developer with a vested interest, hopefully an owner on here that sees this, to take the idea and run with it.  

• Like 1

Thanks, UGADawgs. 

I really like the idea of being able to leave my phone in my pocket and connecting right to CarPlay when I drive my 10-15 min drive home from work. That would be awesome. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

There are wireless android auto and apple car play vehicle receivers. The technology is there in aftermarket units. GM just decided not to include this feature.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk