17 inch wheels

You will find many, many threads on this forum discussing wheel and tire sizes on lifted or levelled vehicles.  Tires will determine the height or diameter of your wheels.  You can have the same wheel diameter whether you have a 17" or 20" wheel.  It is all a matter of personal preference. (looks)  I've learned the best size for me is stock or one size larger in aspect or width.   Supper sized tires may look great but in reality do nothing to improve performance on a levelled truck.  Increased size and weight of large tires will reduce efficiency and not make a drive to work or the mall faster or more comfortable.  On the other hand, when you look good, you feel good...

Thanks for your reply. I have stock 20’s right now. I put the level on so I could go to a larger tire. I’m also going to get a set of wheels. I like a little more meat on my tires than the 20’s offer. That’s why I was asking about 17’s. 

60 year old guy here so here's my 2 cents. My idea of a leveling "kit" is a load in the bed or a trailer hitched to the bumper. It's a truck. If I were to put a leveling kit on my truck it would squat when I tow my boat unless I put air bags on it. I'll save throwing all that money away and enjoy it as a truck with a rake to it, until it is loaded.

I think I have the smallest and lightest factory tires available on a Silverado from the factory. 255/70R-17 Bridgestones on five spoke alloy wheels. They still have enough sidewall to do their job of soaking up vibration and minor impacts instead of transferring them to the truck. I may jump up one size to a 265/70R-17 when the stocks wear out just for the heck of it. For a truck it5cd633920787c_BlackRunningBoards-Copy.thumb.jpg.0f125b081f779c465b667a5e8f3631ee.jpg rides great !  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Enough said:

I think I have the smallest and lightest factory tires available on a Silverado from the factory. 255/70R-17 

Our age also brings a different perspective on wheels size.  It wasn't too long ago that this "smallest factory size" would be considered huge!  BTW when you go to replace your Bridgestone's consider the Michelin Defender in the same size. I didn't like the white lettering on the 265's and the size difference from the 255 is negligible, imo.  Op,  TXLIMO's choice of 285/70/17 is a great one.  The size is large enough to be noticed but not give your truck a heavily modified appearance.

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Our age also brings a different perspective on wheels size.  It wasn't too long ago that this "smallest factory size" would be considered huge!  BTW when you go to replace your Bridgestone's consider the Michelin Defender in the same size. I didn't like the white lettering on the 265's and the size difference from the 255 is negligible, imo.  Op,  TXLIMO's choice of 285/70/17 is a great one.  The size is large enough to be noticed but not give your truck a heavily modified appearance.

Donstar,  thanks for the tip on the Michelins. I remember when the 16.5" taper bead seat on my 1978 F-250 were considered huge but now have difficulty finding 14" tires for our Nissan Hardbody ! We recently found new Hancooks for the Nissan. $210.00 for a set of 4 !!

4 hours ago, ducklawyer said:

2.5 RC and 35s
ca1b3f31468b6aca5ebd87dd0c3b8afd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Ducklawyer for showing me that they do still make 35" tires with sidewalls !!  They remind me of the 35" Gumbo Mudders I used to have on my '78 F-150 4WD on 15" wheels. It's amazing what a little sidewall flex can do for ride and traction.

Great looking truck !! Wish you had gotten a RED one !! :D

Thank you Ducklawyer for showing me that they do still make 35" tires with sidewalls !!  They remind me of the 35" Gumbo Mudders I used to have on my '78 F-150 4WD on 15" wheels. It's amazing what a little sidewall flex can do for ride and traction.

Great looking truck !! Wish you had gotten a RED one !! [emoji3]

I like the “stuffed” look a lot. I looked at the control arms and you could see some shiny metal back there. Fender area looked fine tho. I’d love to get some 35s on mine next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk