Surface mount LEDs for lighting side steps

I"ve been using the Oznium lights like linked below but they keep crapping out on me.  I don't know why I keep having issues.  They are supposed to be waterproof but for some reason, they keep burning out.

I have the lights stuck so they shine down on my steps (photo below).  I like the simplicity of just a single LED versus a long strip.

So, anybody have a suggestion of some lights I can try?  Again, I'd like to stay away from strips if possible as I like the look of a single point of light.

https://www.amazon.com/Prewired-Surface-Mount-LEDs-Amber/dp/B01ENC1S3I?th=1

Here's a burnt out one next to a new one.

D-xgAGf-PkGruumCKmRGj0Bo7NNaG53-1xn7nvPz

Short video showing the little bit of life left in one:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/nYC9WXY1qPPD9v7g7

4QgDR7En-69laZOBYxbXxJ0VAQaLrukFyenfVPzS

Not sure how the bottom side of the rocker looks like in conjunction with the steps, but on my truck I plan on running a LED light strip inside of a black anodized housing(to match my jet black paint close enough), sealing it with clear RTV silicone, and using 3M automotive tape to hold it on on the very bottom edge of the rocker panel for most of the length of it on each side. That's just what I plan on doing with mine and thought I'd throw it out there since what you want is kinda similar. 

With these steps (GM "Offroad" steps) there is just a little gap between the bar and the rocker panel.  I have the LEDs stuck to the grommets on the rocker.  I wanted them back far enough that they don't show directly from the side as much as they just shine down onto the step.  

UG8iv0D3OY1Kd2nXPgJ4Vp3MohNdyNea33FX1hS3

When they worked, they looked great.

KFnhglLkWRw-Ew2bYUg9kG1GDYTULq3xomG3X6fN

Edited by colonel00

3 minutes ago, Waterfowler41 said:

If they ever come back in stock my plan is to pick up a set of these and just run the white for courtesy lights. For $30 hard to beat.

http://www.opt-7.com/sidekick-running-board-switchback-led-strip-kit/

Waterfowler 41’s Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/brittmork

Yeah, I've seen people use strip lights.  I was just trying to keep it a little more subdued.  I just wish I could figure out why these keep burning out.  The ones I have on the interior for lighting the floorboards have been great since I first installed them.

6 hours ago, davester said:

Any sign of physical damage from crap being thrown at them from the front wheels?

Are they mounted right against metal, as the led circuitry generally needs to dissipate a bunch of heat when they are on.

No damage that I can see and they are all pretty well protected by that tube.  It's also pretty damning that I've gone through probably 8-10 of them in just a year.

Yeah, one on each side is stuck to metal (via 3M tape) but the other 2 are stuck on a rubber grommet.  Besides, the lights are only on when the dome lights are on so they shouldn't be getting that hot.  I use the same LEDs for my floorboard lighting and they are on the exact same amount of time (same circuit) and they have all run like a champ.  That's why it's so puzzling to me.  

Side question, what do those grommets cover if anyone knows?  Oznium suggested using one of their LED "bolts" which would be better.  But, I'd have to mount the light inside the grommet and then run the wires back out of the grommet.

10 minutes ago, colonel00 said:

I use the same LEDs for my floorboard lighting and they are on the exact same amount of time (same circuit) and they have all run like a champ.  That's why it's so puzzling to me.  

.. so if it really is not the outdoor elements causing the led to fail look to your wiring circuit..did you run these in series or parallel? or combination? technical spec of the led? circuit power/voltage/current.. both combined and each device. led can be sensitive and easily overdriven

Well, all I did was tap into that gray wire in the A column for the dome lights.  Ran the wire down through the dash to the driver's door.  From there, I split  the wire.  One goes to power the floorboard lighting on the front and rear.  The other goes through that big rubber thing (the term escapes me) in the driver's floorboard to the outside.  From there, this "hot" wire is split and run to each LED.  The LEDs are then also grounded to the frame just like the ones inside for the floorboard lighting.  I haven't checked voltage or current but it should all be on the same 12v system of the dome lights.  

.. ok sounds like you are running two parallel branches off the oem circuit.. one branch for steps and one branch for interior.. then you run further parallel branches on each and ground to chassis.. you could try adding a resistor to each led on the branch to limit overdriving your led.. parallel led are sensitive to thermal runaway: led heats up causing higher current draw which causes it to heat up which causes higher current draw until it burns itself out.. this can happen quite quickly. In parallel there is nothing to "balance" each led and you can have differing current across each. Again assuming that outside elements are not the failure cause then I would add resistors. If you google parallel vs series led I'm sure you will find alot of information and examples.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, colonel00 said:

No damage that I can see and they are all pretty well protected by that tube.  It's also pretty damning that I've gone through probably 8-10 of them in just a year.

Yeah, one on each side is stuck to metal (via 3M tape) but the other 2 are stuck on a rubber grommet.  Besides, the lights are only on when the dome lights are on so they shouldn't be getting that hot.  I use the same LEDs for my floorboard lighting and they are on the exact same amount of time (same circuit) and they have all run like a champ.  That's why it's so puzzling to me.  

Side question, what do those grommets cover if anyone knows?  Oznium suggested using one of their LED "bolts" which would be better.  But, I'd have to mount the light inside the grommet and then run the wires back out of the grommet.

i have a bunch of oznium bolts.  i don't think there is enough room (depth) for the back of the bolt on the back side of the grommet.  that cavity is not very deep.

i was going to use bolts on my truck but after putting one in the cavity behind the grommet it sure looked like the bolt was too long.

• Thanks 1

If they are all powered in parallel, and mounted similarly, I would take a temperature gun and see how hot they get when on.

If they get very hot, I would try to get more of it mounted to some metal to dissipate the heat.

If they don't, then I would go with they can't handle the elements under your truck.  Maybe try cutting some clear tubing in half (that's a bit larger in diameter than the width of the led's), and zip-tying it to the led's to give them some protection.

• Thanks 1