Brake upgrade

• 10 months later...

I can put a nail in this:

2020 Sierra AT4 3.0 w/performance brake upgrade

Currently at dealership being told new shake we were feeling was warped rotors. Tech says the material of the rotor is to blame. They are going to file them down once and if it happens again they will replace them... with the same rotors :very mad face:

Dont get em, not worth it

Any advice on how to proceed with dealer?

My opinion on the performance brakes are:

1) The price on them is ridiculous!

2) Unless you take your truck to the race track and race it around, I don’t see the point in it. The stock brakes work just fine for everyday driving experience. 

3) I can find a lot of things to spend $2500 on instead of these, like a nice used car or work truck to leave mine in garage on $h!tty days. 

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

My opinion on the performance brakes are:

1) The price on them is ridiculous!

2) Unless you take your truck to the race track and race it around, I don’t see the point in it. The stock brakes work just fine for everyday driving experience. 

3) I can find a lot of things to spend $2500 on instead of these, like a nice used car or work truck to leave mine in garage on $h!tty days. 

I was going for increased braking capability when towing... sounds reasonable enough for 2500

1 hour ago, pseudokev said:

I was going for increased braking capability when towing... sounds reasonable enough for 2500

What do you tow? I have a boat and have never had any issues with braking. And just a heads up there are TONS of aftermarket brakes and pads that are a FAR CRY from $2500. 

• Like 2

I had the front wheels off of my 2020 Silverado Custom with the 5.3  and  got a good look at the front brakes.  The discs are massive and the calipers are the fixed four piston design rather than sliders.  I've had plenty of big time Wilwood and Bahr brakes on my rods and customs.  These stock GM brakes compare very favorably.

I suggest caliper covers or paint if your want to dude your brakes up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2019 Sierra CC SB NHT 6.2

62,000 Miles

the Brembo Brake package will be on all my future trucks...

Only negative I see with them is the loss of front pad life monitor...

They are so much better than stock in emergency braking situations.  I have always had issues with warping but these are staying true.

4 hours ago, wacko said:

2019 Sierra CC SB NHT 6.2

62,000 Miles

the Brembo Brake package will be on all my future trucks...

Only negative I see with them is the loss of front pad life monitor...

They are so much better than stock in emergency braking situations.  I have always had issues with warping but these are staying true.

good to hear! I am very happy with them when they aren't warped lol

The dealer machined them and told me it shouldn't happen again... soooo... I guess I am just going to go with that heh

The 2019+ brakes are already an upgrade from previous years.  The 6 piston calipers would be nice, especially since I tow a camper.   But at $2500+ it's pretty pricey.   For about a total of $600 I'm sure you could significantly reduce stopping distance with some good EBC pads and good slotted rotors.

Also, remember if you do the big brake upgrade your brake services get more expensive too.  On other vehicles with option brake upgrades I've seen 2-4 times the price just for pads alone.

• 2 weeks later...