The Peckish Synapse

Grumpy Bear

Raw Virgin Oil Data (Blackstone Labs)

CompareOil.png.68aa8b28eb4b4fe5207612023cfb31bc.png

RED LINE HIGH PERFORMANCE

AMSOIL SIGNATURE SERIES

MOBIL 1 ANNUAL PROTECTION

UNIVERSAL AVERAGES 

Phosphorus, Zinc and Boron are the EP additives. First two we call affectionately ZZDP. 

Molybdenum and Boron are lubricity agents. Makes oil more slippery. 

Sodium & Boron are also detergents. Boron is seeing triple duty. 

Silicon is anti-foam.

Potassium a corrosion inhibitor. 

Calcium and Magnesium the acid neutralization package. 

Maybe you already knew all of this but there it is for those that did not. I like raw data. Especially when it comes from not only the same source but a trusted one as well. Data doesn't have an opinion. It just is.

I pulled data from several sources that offered photo's of Blackstone reports and pooled that data in an Excel spread sheet for ease of comparison. All three were tested with in the last year. Use it, don't use it, I don't care. As there is nothing to debate, I will not do so. 

• Like 1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gEMTa3YOBIYBTYiaEhQLfooPohN_l645z1DaWRuFzC0/edit#gid=1618148264

Lots of Blackstone Lab reports on virgin oils. Ran across this a few days ago. Interesting reading. 

Nothing like data to cut through the mire, eh? 

:thumbs:

THANK YOU

I was considering sending a clean sample of Quaker State to Blackstone for kicks for benchmarking. Can't find it on here, but I can compare my reports to see how even used stuff holds up. 

I'll have to share it with my best friend who has a GT350...he digs this kind of stuff too.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Build? Modified?  

8/21/2020

Pepper isn't 'Built not Bought" like SarahsGMC. Pepper isn't Modified like Coveted Style's ride. And it isn't just craftsman style  'well maintained'  like Barry G's 96 GMC. All great trucks! However Pepper certainly is no longer stock. 

Built and modified trucks have a sense of form over function, don't you think? Especially modified trucks that rarely wring the last cent out of a nickel. Waiting isn't the suit worn long by stylist.  

Well maintained stock trucks don't always use stock parts either but using a Bosch oil filter over an AC-Delco oil filter is hardly a modification in the sense of build noted in Coveted's truck. Then it could be. What would be the difference? Hum...purpose perhaps? If you used the Bosch because it was cheaper or more available I, personally, wouldn't call that a modification. That would be frugality and/or practicality. If bought because you believe it's better at it's job that still isn't a modification as it lacks the sense of 'change of style'. 

OEM's use to practice refinement as part of on going R&D. Back before bean counting, marketing and focus groups set sights solely on profits. I offer the Buick 3800 as evidence. They buried that practice of refinement along with the 3800.

Now....it's up to the owner but buy a "Starter Kit" from the OEM and work the process for ones self.

For me refinement starts with living with the starter set long enough to find it's strengths and weaknesses and...and...it's personality. 99 times out of a 100 I will not have a complete picture of the object of my focus until every drop of value has been wrung from the part under consideration. Tires were a great example.

That does not mean I waste parts relearning lessons already learned. I didn't wait for a lifter failure to refine my methods and products to keep the system as clean as I have learned how to point out the flaws in the OEM methods and products that kills the majority of them. There would be nothing I could do about those that fail due to poor materials and workmanship but there was plenty one can do about a system plugging with varnish and sludge until the VLOM mis-times a switching event crushing those parts.

So what is a truck that is altered with a purpose the sets improved function over form as it's primary purpose?

Refined!

• 4 weeks later...

1st tank started 9/7/20 and ended 9/12/20. Ran 391 miles on 14.322 gallons for 27.3 mpg. Worst tank of the summer.

2nd tank started and ended on 9/13/20.        Ran 389 miles on 12.888 gallons for 30.2 mpg.  An 11% improvement. 

The difference in these two tanks are a few but the lions share of such a poor tank was fast food drive through service. Second multiple cold starts. Third cold windy rainy weather. Fourth tire pressure do to the weather and finally about a .15 gallon cold fill tax. 

I put a meter on the first to make a point with the wife who can't seem to get in the truck without the need for a drive through glass of tea no matter how short the trip may be planned. There were five such stops during this tank consuming just under a gallon of fuel. 

I have BANNED fast food drive through service. 

On another note and referencing the difference between gallons meter by the truck (Scan Gauge II) and gallons delivered by the pump and over a lengthy summer sampling I find that number to be +/- 0.15 gallons of the fuel systems metered amount.

Not all samples were taken from the same station or even the same pump but I did assure than they were all withing 1 degree of inclination in both planes of standard level reference for my truck. 30 Seconds between first the second automatic stops of the pump. 

I also investigated the difference a 3 degree angle would make and found it to produce a variance of a quart of fuel. 

And fuel temperature. Most people attack this idea and a few endorse it. But nearly all assume a day time temperature difference stating morning fills give the best bang for the buck. Look everyone knows things (except water at the freezing point) contract when cooled and expand when heated. You can find the thermal rates for most materials on line. 

Does it make a difference, yes, but day to day in a 'normal' day not enough to get up at 4 am to fill  you tank for. 

http://datagenetics.com/blog/april32015/index.html

If you read this link pay attention to a few things. The turnover rate in a gas station and the difference between US and Canada fuel pump dispensing. Many argue that the gas, being stored underground, is always at the same temperature. Not true and explained in this link. Secondly pumps are calibrated far a very specific volume difference at a very specific TEMPERATURE. (IN the USA) They deliver VOLUME not weight and yet the motor uses fuel by weight. BTU's per pound to be exact. 

Something the writer in not aware of is at the refinery fuel isn't stored underground nor is it stored as such at most racks. It is however in government underground storage bunkers. FYI. 

It isn't the outside temperature during the day that alter delivery. It's the temperature of the fuel when delivered and how long the turn over rate at that station is. In ground tanks are basically thermos bottles.  It will toss your hand held calculations a curve often in the spring and in the winter or anytime there has been a huge one day move in temperatures. This is why single tank averages mean darn near nothing. 

Employee watching his boss pour from a thermos. Something this man has never seen before. So he asks, "What is that"?

Boss replies, "A thermos". 

Employee says, "What does it do"?

Boss says. "It keeps cold things cold and hot things hot". 

Employee scratches his head and after a long pause asks, "How does it know"? 

• 4 months later...

How is it we live in a world where grown up human beings do not know what the truth is? 

How is one to expect unity when we divide EVERYTHING.

How is it a 20 something is an 'expert' because they have a microphone and an internet connection?

When did saying a thing to be true make it true?

I know people like to call what is good bad and what is bad good.

I know that at standard conditions water boils at 212F.

I know that (CID*RPM)/3456 = swept volume per minute.

I know my dog is more loyal than humans.

I know that something does not come from nothing and because that is true...

First Cause has always existed.

Most call him God.

He did not create division...humans did.

He does not lie....humans do.

Dull news day.

? 

• Like 1

My grandchildren are in, or close to, their teen years.  I love talking to them about truth and facts.  I start with simple stuff like me telling them I'm very handsome and going from there.  Last year we started a zoom group meeting c/w an agenda.  They each get a topic where they need to present a positive perspective or solution. to a current event/issue.  Finding fault or blame needs to be proceeded/ accompanied with a viable solution or proper way.  It is more fun than it sounds and I learn a lot!.   I know there are a myriad of variables that impact the raising of a child but I will seize any opportunity to help mine to become part of the solution, not the problem.  Super stars like Amanda Gorman certainly serve as encouragement for a healthy future!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Donstar said:

My grandchildren are in, or close to, their teen years.  I love talking to them about truth and facts.  I start with simple stuff like me telling them I'm very handsome and going from there.  Last year we started a zoom group meeting c/w an agenda.  They each get a topic where they need to present a positive perspective or solution. to a current event/issue.  Finding fault or blame needs to be proceeded/ accompanied with a viable solution or proper way.  It is more fun than it sounds and I learn a lot!.   I know there are a myriad of variables that impact the raising of a child but I will seize any opportunity to help mine to become part of the solution, not the problem.  Super stars like Amanda Gorman certainly serve as encouragement for a healthy future!

Dad didn't do it quite as formally as you. Go to him with a gripe or a problem and you would have a problem. Go to him with a problem AND offer a solution....now that made his day even if your solution was less than perfect. He is a common sense sort of guy. Use your reason boy. He was not the guy to whom you said, "But Doug made me get drunk."

:crackup:

I have a hope in the sun rising in the east tomorrow. That expectation is assured in realities not seen through evident demonstration. That is the Biblical definition of Faith. Heb 11:1. The sun rises every morning. That is the truth. It is truth. 

Heb. 1:3 then reads: By faith we perceive that the systems of things were put in order by God’s word, so that what is seen has come into existence from things that are not visible. (cross reference Gen 1:1)

This process isn't religion this is just common sense, reasoning; rational critical thinking.  Belief in that truth is worship. Religion is what man does to that belief and has nothing to do with worship. Has a great deal to do with lies and liars.

The truth isn't that hard to know it's just that believing lies takes less effort. 

Any child who has ever stuck a metallic object in a wall socket gets the condensed version of this truth.

I was about four when I tried it.

:rollin:   

Edited by Grumpy Bear

I have meaningful conversations with my kids and grandkids about truths in life. It’s usually met with glassy eyes and polite nodding. The older ones see the point while living life. The younger ones are seeing the truths with raising gas prices and their pipeline working friends losing their jobs. Super market prices are next. I’m have flashbacks of the Will Rodgers days. Or George Carlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

England's Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaking about then new Corona virus stated it is 30% more deadly. ?

Nora O'Donnell CBS News Anchor runs with that ball. ?

City of Chicago Public Health Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady explains by way of example:

?

Say 10 in 1,000 die of 'wild' Covid-19

For the new strain 13 in 1,000 die.

Yep that is a 30% increase. 13 is a 30% increase over 10.  

But it's equally true that in that example it is but 3 more in 1,000.

Anybody here lie? 

They paint very different pictures with the exact same facts.

Now who do I want my news from?

Truth is more than  accurate 'facts'

It's also about reasonable and appropriate presentation.

A faithful and true picture.

Points of reference seem important to me.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:14 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

How is it we live in a world where grown up human beings do not know what the truth is? 

I believe we do, but a lifestyle of truth in an exposed society is too hard.  But as you mentioned something similar in another post, life is an easier existence for those living a lie. 

I also believe man was not created to tell a lie (failed that test) and don't see any chance of ever getting back to that point.  There may be a "man" that could get close, but that existence would have to be totally cut off from other societies and technology that don't enhance survival. 

If life could be lived inside a "bubble" and dependent only on what you know, easy to survive in truth.  A lie would only degrade your quality of life.   

15 hours ago, The Zip said:

a lifestyle of truth in an exposed society is too hard.

15 hours ago, The Zip said:

If life could be lived inside a "bubble" and dependent only on what you know, easy to survive in truth.

Giving this even more thought. 

Satan made a similar statement to God about a man named Job.

Job 1:8-11

New International Version

8 Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”

9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. 10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

When taking all that Job had, home, and family and Job not breaking he continued with an assault on his health:

Job 2:4-5

New International Version
4 “Skin for skin!” Satan replied. “A man will give all he has for his own life. 5 But now stretch out your hand and strike his flesh and bones, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

When all the trial that could be laid upon him without taking his life failed he was rewarded greatly (read) Job 42:10-17

Here in is a powerful lesson. The only motivation a human needs to survive an assault on their integrity is a love of God and the truth that transcends the need for a reward. Do the right thing; 

Tell the truth because it is the truth.

As you yourself said: 
16 hours ago, The Zip said:

A lie would only degrade your quality of life.   

Was that hard for Job to do? Yes! 
Easy isn't worth having and having isn't easy.

I find it interesting that God rewarded Job without Job's expectation for simply doing the right thing when times were easy and he rewarded him DOUBLE for his integrity under test ABSENT God's protection. God did not punish Job but he did allow it to prove to everyone watching, man and angle that people can appreciate what is true above all else simply to show appreciation for their creator. 

Perception is a good word.  Truth, lies and my favorite, "made up facts" impact individuals differently.  Decades ago I worked on a highly divided staff.  Consensus on most topics was a battle.  I remember looking forward to making a funding announcement that would surely please and benefit everyone on staff.  I'd worked with this staff for years and thought I had something they'd all embrace without hesitation.  I was wrong.   I read the majority but my appreciation for my limitations grew.   In this situation, everyone was telling their truth.  As a teenager, I remember getting into a heated argument with a new brother-in-law over the color of a shirt.  He stated his case with such passion that I started to doubt myself and backed away from the debate.  My sister explained to me later that her husband was found to be color blind when in the service but denies their findings!