The Peckish Synapse

Grumpy Bear

I got schooled today!

Weed killers but that is just an example of such things. ACE hardware guy gave me an education on a topic I though I knew pretty well and.....did not. I normally hang on to things I believe are true pretty firmly but in this case the argument was so complete, so comprehensive that only one bent on his own will would continue to hang on to a thing he was so obviously wrong about. 

To tell the complete truth...I was quite happy with my self. It reminded me of why it is so easy for me to adapt to change and grow with knowledge instead of stubbornly clinging to 'wrong' that serves no useful purpose other than vanity. I don't ever agree to a thing because it the direction the wind is blowing. Or because it is popular. But because it makes sense and is supported by something undeniable. Evident demonstration. I'm easy to teach and very hard to derail. I like that....

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Puzzlement

On a drive and listening to the news. Topic was mask mandates. Hum.... We have one in Illinois for all indoor activities. Took effect Monday. Thing is it is once again being ignored and going unenforced and for a moment it puzzled me.

How it is we disregard laws meant to protect life.....?

Then I was passed, while doing the speed limit, up hill in a no passing zone and not just once but on two consecutive hills. 

Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. One is like the other. 

:idiot:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mystified

Pepper mystifies me. 150,000 miles on the clock. One legal lifetime! I expect any minute for the beast to curl up in a ball and die of one of the many 'well documented' ills GM trucks suffer. Ya know; AFM lifter failure, 6 speed transmission failure, front end falling apart...a deer impaling itself on the alter of grill. Maybe a brake vacuum pump failure or shrapnel from the air bag system killing me? Yea, just got the lovely little note in the mail. Your air bar could kill you but we don't have the parts to repair it. So...what...park her and wait...for...what? 

Not only have her problems been few; starter shied and a pinion seal; but regular routine wear and tear parts....wipers....brakes....tires.....suspension bushings....tie rods....ball joints.....diff gears.....

Who gets 125K out of factory tires and replaces them because the date out and yet have in excess of 5/32' tread left?

150K from factory brakes and has over 50% pad left?

3 years or 75K per wiper set? 

28 mpg life time average fuel efficiency from an EPA 24 mpg Highway, 18 city, 20 combine estimate?

Seriously? 140% of the EPA numbers? 

How often do you see 150K and no front end work? Not even a sway bar link replacement!

Still on the OEM battery??? 6 years plus!

Day one oil pressure and no usage. Dry as a bone underneath.

Ooh....crap..... 

My gut is starting to knot waiting on some drunk to put her on the scrap heap. Some self entitled moron to put her in ditch from some ill advised illegal passing game of 'chicken'. Hail storm? Tornado? Friggin horse standing in the middle of the road. 

Ecclesiastes 9:11  "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all".

Could it be...is it possible.....hummm....if I say it.......nah.....I'm keep'n my yap shut............

But I do have a question.

How is it possible that Pepper and Dizzy came from the same company? 

This person has me blocked. But I can answer the questions. With the exception of the fuel mileage. He documents how he drives slowwwww. So l can see the fuel mileage. Every thing else for me no so unusual. At least to 150-160K miles. I usually trade. My brother in law. Up to 250-300K. He in the last 2 years bought one of those cylinder deactivation Yukon's. Tires around 100K. Otherwise seems normal to me. 

Pepper provides strong motivation for me to keep my 262.   I've kicked a lot of tires in the past 6 years of owning my current truck but never came close to sitting down with a salesman.  If I continue to drive at the same rate,  I'll reach Pepper's current mileage in just a little over 10 years.   As an aside, I do think my next truck will be powered by a home outlet.  My senior driven, six cylinder stock pickup took $114 to fill on Tuesday and it wasn't on E.   I know this is Canadian $'s on Canadian fuel prices but it still is a significant chunk of a fixed income.  A well designed and priced conversion kit to EV power would guarantee  my '15 Sierra's to be my forever truck, barring  serious accidental damage!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Pepper provides strong motivation for me to keep my 262.   I've kicked a lot of tires in the past 6 years of owning my current truck but never came close to sitting down with a salesman.  If I continue to drive at the same rate,  I'll reach Pepper's current mileage in just a little over 10 years.   As an aside, I do think my next truck will be powered by a home outlet.  My senior driven, six cylinder stock pickup took $114 to fill on Tuesday and it wasn't on E.   I know this is Canadian $'s on Canadian fuel prices but it still is a significant chunk of a fixed income.  A well designed and priced conversion kit to EV power would guarantee  my '15 Sierra's to be my forever truck, barring  serious accidental damage!

I went completely against my olds ways. I bought my Avalanche at the mileage I usually traded. It’s service is well documented and looks new. My brother in law’s experience with GMs trucks and SUVs was the reason. Plus it’s strictly for personal use in town always within 10 miles from home. My trip vehicle will always stay newer and under 150K. 

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

This person has me blocked. But I can answer the questions. With the exception of the fuel mileage. He documents how he drives slowwwww. So l can see the fuel mileage. Every thing else for me no so unusual. At least to 150-160K miles. I usually trade. My brother in law. Up to 250-300K. He in the last 2 years bought one of those cylinder deactivation Yukon's. Tires around 100K. Otherwise seems normal to me. 

To be fair all of the rating from the EPA for trucks I believe require manufacturers to include 1k lbs in the bed. So also it is under rated and not 140% above haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shakenfake said:

To be fair

🤔

I wonder what that looks like?

Amusing I think.

So the same people that tell me everything I do is wrong are also telling  me that wrong produces 'only average results'?

An average result those self same people can not or are unwilling to replicate with their BETTER CARE.

Do you guys think before you type?

:rolleyes: 

By your 'logic' you could treat your vehicle anyway you wish to and get the same result.

Well sports fans? Are you?

Are you getting 140% of the EPA HIGHWAY (best) number as your average (combine) over more than a hundred thousand miles?

Fair could run you over and you wouldn't recognize it.

Here's fair.

Document your next 100K right here in a build log as I have and beat your EPA combine number for your truck by 140%.

Not my number...your number

That is what fair looks like

Now would be a good time to tell everyone watching the thousand reasons your are unable or unwilling to accept a fair challenge. 

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

Reasonable dialogue from reasonable people...This might catch on 😉 Thanks for the encouragement Donstar.

There was a story in the news recently about the government realizing that they haven't any law to collect road use taxes from EV owners. A speculation on what that might look like ensued. Tesla for example currently controls the charging for Tesla cars. The question arises as well as to what the equivalent cost per mile will be for charging? When I mentioned this to Mrs. Bear, who is a Tesla fangirl, she looked shocked that home charging would add cost the electric bills? What? Do we think that the several hundred a month we spend on fuel will evaporate without equivalent cost and taxes? Me thinks not. 

3 hours ago, shakenfake said:

To be fair all of the rating from the EPA for trucks I believe require manufacturers to include 1k lbs in the bed. So also it is under rated and not 140% above haha

Some people seem to think getting to 150K is an unusual accomplishment. I’m not all eaten  up with documenting all things automobile. Just normal maintenance logs. At 100k miles my kids or grandkids usually end up with some of our rides. My 05 Elantra is with one grandson. My 17 Camry is with a Grandaughter. My wife’s loves her 11 Genesis it may see 150K before it gets passed along. Her 01 Acura intagra type r is still here. All by the book maintenance. My documents are in those glove boxes. It’s amusing that a person gets all excited about 150K. Then gets worked up when its said no big deal. 250K, that’s doing something. 

54 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

🤔

I wonder what that looks like?

Amusing I think.

So the same people that tell me everything I do is wrong are also telling  me that wrong produces 'only average results'?

An average result those self same people can not or are unwilling to replicate with their BETTER CARE.

Do you guys think before you type?

:rolleyes: 

By your 'logic' you could treat your vehicle anyway you wish to and get the same result.

Well sports fans? Are you?

Are you getting 140% of the EPA HIGHWAY (best) number as your average (combine) over more than a hundred thousand miles?

Fair could run you over and you wouldn't recognize it.

Here's fair.

Document your next 100K right here in a build log as I have and beat your EPA combine number for your truck by 140%.

Not my number...your number

That is what fair looks like

Now would be a good time to tell everyone watching the thousand reasons your are unable or unwilling to accept a fair challenge. 

I wasn't even responding to you lol

Mine would be unfair considering I have an engine that wasn't meant to be in my truck and it is modified.

I don't know why you would be so upset about what I said. I'm not trying to tear you down over you increase of mileage. I was just stating that I think the mileage is a little underrated. But since you got your panties in a twist, I drive another vehicle rated at 22mpg city and I get on average 27. It is only a 23% increase over the EPA rating but if I had the same driving style you did I may get better. A lot of mileage rating is based on drive style.

8 hours ago, shakenfake said:

I wasn't even responding to you lol

Mine would be unfair considering I have an engine that wasn't meant to be in my truck and it is modified.

I don't know why you would be so upset about what I said. I'm not trying to tear you down over you increase of mileage. I was just stating that I think the mileage is a little underrated. But since you got your panties in a twist, I drive another vehicle rated at 22mpg city and I get on average 27. It is only a 23% increase over the EPA rating but if I had the same driving style you did I may get better. A lot of mileage rating is based on drive style.

Makes me dizzy keeping up with the shifting sands. One minute no one can get the EPA numbers because they are over stated. (normally trotted out for the hot foots excuses for failure)  Countless threads in that direction on dozens of boards; then when the argument turns the other direction now they are understated (Well Grumpy needs to be dressed down for over achieving the estimates). Now they've been revised. Again. Now they are done with a 1K pounds in the bed? (You think?). That was not meant to discredit? Providing a reason for the abnormal result?" Okay...whatever...

And yes driving style and speed has allot to do with it. I do something very un-American. I don't speed. I don't hot stop stop signs. I actually stop for them. I don't try 1 g turns on ramps. I slow for the yellow posted lower limits in curves and in bad weather. I drive the posted "construction speed limits" and yes for as long as they last and even on weekends. I watch tire pressures. Work with the weather and terrain instead of against it. 

Stan calls this hypermiling. I call it following the law. Following physics. Following common sense. Following my experience. Following my bankbook. Following RULES. Not just when Johnny Law is watching.

I totally believe you can use a truck and even use it up without destroying it. You don't get a merit badge for dents, leaks and unholy repair bills. You get broke and another payment book.

You've read the threads. Yea, high miler and then comes the long list of parts replaced to get there. Well I just shared the experience of a truck whose run a 'legal lifetime' with about $25 in 'repair parts' and about 1/5 of the normal 'wear and tear' budget. And yes twice the preventive maintenance budget. Example: I spent about $400 in rotations and balance. It doubled the life the those 60K tires that cost $800 installed. That's a good trade. Not even my best Honda has done that this cheaply and I've had some great Honda's. 

I though it unique. Enough so to share. Thought someone else may profit from the experiences I document in my build thread.

6 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Makes me dizzy keeping up with the shifting sands. One minute no one can get the EPA numbers because they are over stated. (normally trotted out for the hot foots excuses for failure)  Countless threads in that direction on dozens of boards; then when the argument turns the other direction now they are understated (Well Grumpy needs to be dressed down for over achieving the estimates). Now they've been revised. Again. Now they are done with a 1K pounds in the bed? (You think?). That was not meant to discredit? Providing a reason for the abnormal result?" Okay...whatever...

And yes driving style and speed has allot to do with it. I do something very un-American. I don't speed. I don't hot stop stop signs. I actually stop for them. I don't try 1 g turns on ramps. I slow for the yellow posted lower limits in curves and in bad weather. I drive the posted "construction speed limits" and yes for as long as they last and even on weekends. I watch tire pressures. Work with the weather and terrain instead of against it. 

Stan calls this hypermiling. I call it following the law. Following physics. Following common sense. Following my experience. Following my bankbook. Following RULES. Not just when Johnny Law is watching.

I totally believe you can use a truck and even use it up without destroying it. You don't get a merit badge for dents, leaks and unholy repair bills. You get broke and another payment book.

You've read the threads. Yea, high miler and then comes the long list of parts replaced to get there. Well I just shared the experience of a truck whose run a 'legal lifetime' with about $25 in 'repair parts' and about 1/5 of the normal 'wear and tear' budget. And yes twice the preventive maintenance budget. Example: I spent about $400 in rotations and balance. It doubled the life the those 60K tires that cost $800 installed. That's a good trade. Not even my best Honda has done that this cheaply and I've had some great Honda's. 

I though it unique. Enough so to share. Thought someone else may profit from the experiences I document in my build thread.

I’ve learned stuff from you. You learned stuff from me. Even if you wouldn’t admit it. Your just too sensitive. Your experience work for you. Mine have worked for me. Your driving style is unique, not average. Even my driving style is considered slow at the speed limit. I get right at the  window sticker mileage. I’m mr average and post real life experiences. I don’t post articles because anyone can find one to back up their claim. I don’t hashtag insults to people who disagree with me. I don’t block people either. The average life of my wife’s cars are 15 years. Some are scattered across my family. There’re  service according to my experience and recommended intervals. Your the exception not me. I’m mr normal. Your way over serviced. Spent more money doing it. So sorry I’m not getting excited over 150K miles. I appreciate the dedication. It’s just not normal. Waiting for the 250K mark.