ARE Z2 cap...finally

I think I like that better than the piece of cr@p leer sent me for $2000. How does the third brake light transition look to the cap? My leer is sticking up an inch or so above the third brake light and causing wind noise. Your ARE looked pretty flush?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think I like that better than the piece of cr@p leer sent me for $2000. How does the third brake light transition look to the cap? My leer is sticking up an inch or so above the third brake light and causing wind noise. Your ARE looked pretty flush?

Man, i am not one to bash on other peoples stuff but i think this ARE cap looks better than the leer you have. The transition from the roof of the truck to the cap looks almost seamless. With the paint issues you are having i would see if you could return and get this model.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I wish GM would start selling its own camper shells. It'd be perfect, GM would know to wire the brake light to the shell instead of the one above the cab. It would fit perfectly and use the same material and workmanship as the rest. Or make it an option.. no wasted third brake light and the worthless lights for the bed from the cabin. Hell, if it was a $2,500 option, I just might go for it.

My F-150 had a shell on it and it had its own brake light which was nowhere as good as the one on the cab, made worthless by the shell.

Edited by Wiggums

Man, i am not one to bash on other peoples stuff but i think this ARE cap looks better than the leer you have. The transition from the roof of the truck to the cap looks almost seamless. With the paint issues you are having i would see if you could return and get this model.

Yeah I agree. The problem is the local installer is the one that gets screwed as he is the one that does all the work and I have used him for years and he is a great guy. I don't think leer has a return for refund option. They will just fix if it's broken.

Real curious for a top pic of how the ARE looks at the top tailight.

Yeah I agree. The problem is the local installer is the one that gets screwed as he is the one that does all the work and I have used him for years and he is a great guy. I don't think leer has a return for refund option. They will just fix if it's broken.

Real curious for a top pic of how the ARE looks at the top tailight.

I hear you on that. Most people wouldnt take the small shop owner into consideration on something like this so kudos to you.

I will take more photos of the transition and post them. 

The cap was priced at $2700, I added some options, remote locking, fold down front window, clothes hanger rod and 12v LED interior lights so final cost was $3200 with sales tax.

• Thanks 1

Here are the photos of the roof to cap transition. It is pretty smooth, no wind noise at all. There is even a molded in "depression"  in the center of the cap roof that matches the same feature on the roof of the truck cab.

This is my second ARE cap. The last was also a Z model on a 2005 ZQ8 Colorado. Got great service from that cap as well. Paint match on that cap as well as this one is spot on.

Side transition.jpg

Top transition.jpg

Rear cap.jpg

That cap looks great on your truck.  I have a question/favor to ask.  When you get a chance, could you measure the inside height from the bottom of the bed to the top of the cap?  I am wanting to figure out how much room is in there.  I am planning getting a cap also (probably this one) and want to build drawers in the bed, but also need enough room for my dog to be able to be in the back.  Thank you in advance.