Would you feel OK buying this Suburban?

3 owner, 249,000 miles, 2003 Suburban 4x4 with 8.1L engine.  I'd be using it for towing an 8000 pound boat and 7500 pound travel trailer.  In Florida, mostly short trips - probably never more than 2000-3000 miles a year.

Anything to really look at when inspecting?

The only reason I would buy a vehicle with that many miles is for farm or ranch duties, on site. In all my many years of towing I never towed after 100K miles. Ever wonder why auto manufacturers quit showing maintenance just after 100K? I wouldn’t drive any vehicle past 200K far if at all. Some people do. They are usually very maintenance oriented and probably wax the drive shaft. Some people will chime in I got 300K on my rig. You can probably eat off their engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on condition,  how much it costs,  how much money you have to spend and the space in your driveway. I would not purchase it as a money saving strategy or as your main source of transportation. An '03 Suburban is a good looking, comfortable people hauler and, if in good condition, could have many useful years ahead.  

Compression test and a hooked up transmission evaluation are a minimum.

Any service records like

1. Front wheel bearings

2. Rear axle seals

3. Carfax.

good luck!

For what you want to do with it seems reasonable.  Florida is flat so no issues with mountains. :)

Check it over well.  How do the fluids look?  Yes they could look good if the individual just changed them. High mileage vehicles are a chance but there are those that last. The previous owners might have gotten rid of it do to it's poor economy.   How much is it?  Ask to take it out on a test drive and see if they will let you two with it.  If they don't have anything to hide they will. Checking the air filter and in cabin filter, if it has one, will tell you if it has been maintained i would think.

It would fill your needs well, economy would suck but I don't think you are worried about that.   

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

The only reason I would buy a vehicle with that many miles is for farm or ranch duties, on site. In all my many years of towing I never towed after 100K miles. Ever wonder why auto manufacturers quit showing maintenance just after 100K? I wouldn’t drive any vehicle past 200K far if at all. Some people do. They are usually very maintenance oriented and probably wax the drive shaft. Some people will chime in I got 300K on my rig. You can probably eat off their engine.

since it has 250k i think they taken care of it

Edited by bg1988

I have 840,000 miles(legally listed on the title) on mine Original powertrain 

Yea, sure original. I can see that happening in sales or frequent driven vehicles in mild climates. Taxies, Uber drivers, etc. As a rule not happening. In my business we drove 50-60K miles a year. Some trucks stayed around not traded in for parts running duties. We did extensive maintenance and care. A couple got pretty high up in mileage and years. So we became attached to them. Paint jobs, interiors redone, engines redone on some. A couple frame up rebuilds Usually more trouble than their worth. Most vehicles are spent at 200K. Of course there are outliers.

3 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Yea, sure original. I can see that happening in sales or frequent driven vehicles in mild climates. Taxies, Uber drivers, etc. As a rule not happening. In my business we drove 50-60K miles a year. Some trucks stayed around not traded in for parts running duties. We did extensive maintenance and care. A couple got pretty high up in mileage and years. So we became attached to them. Paint jobs, interiors redone, engines redone on some. A couple frame up rebuilds Usually more trouble than their worth. Most vehicles are spent at 200K. Of course there are outliers.

it does not really have 840k the jerk at the dealer screwed up    sitting at 89,500 currently   taken care of they last 300k or more

i don't tow and this is flat land  3500 mile  frequent oil changes do the job  and tranny every  30k  coolant every 50k

diff every 50k

Edited by bg1988

it does not really have 840k the jerk at the dealer screwed up    sitting at 89,500 currently   taken care of they last 300k or more

i don't tow and this is flat land  3500 mile  frequent oil changes do the job  and tranny every  30k  coolant every 50k
diff every 50k

In my years of working over 40, I’ve seen 100s of over the road HWY mileage trucks. They’re support vehicles for ROW clearing crews. They usually work 10 day rotation. Usually driving 500 miles or more just getting to work. In most cases once at the base, usually a motel they have a 1/2 to one hour to the job site and back daily. It’s very rare to see 300K miles on these trucks. Even the supervisor trades at 200K max. That’s only happened after fuel injection and computers. Prior to that 100K was max with fleet buyers. I dealt with these people on a daily basis. There’re not going to waste money prematurely trading in their trucks.

12 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

In my years of working over 40, I’ve seen 100s of over the road HWY mileage trucks. They’re support vehicles for ROW clearing crews. They usually work 10 day rotation. Usually driving 500 miles or more just getting to work. In most cases once at the base, usually a motel they have a 1/2 to one hour to the job site and back daily. It’s very rare to see 300K miles on these trucks. Even the supervisor trades at 200K max. That’s only happened after fuel injection and computers. Prior to that 100K was max with fleet buyers. I dealt with these people on a daily basis. There’re not going to waste money prematurely trading in their trucks.

I prefer to keep mine as long as possible  i hate dealing with dealers and the scam products they offer that *you* must buy in order to buy a car

when I helped my grandpa get a car I got stabbed with a pen by the paper work guy. 

thanks chevy dealer of lancaster,ca

Edited by bg1988

I prefer to keep mine as long as possible  i hate dealing with dealers and the scam products they offer that *you* must buy in order to buy a car

when I helped my grandpa get a car I got stabbed with a pen by the paper work guy. 
thanks chevy dealer of lancaster,ca

For the first time in my life I bought a vehicle thinking I wanted to go 200K miles. I bought a Camry. I do have old vehicles my 92 truck just went over 100k miles. I’ve had quite a few classic cars and trucks. It’s amazing what can need replacing even if the vehicle is garage kept and babied. The only vehicle I’ve owned that’s over 15 years old that’s only needed fluids and tires changed is a 2001 Acura Type R. It still smells new and drives new. My brother in law always buys GM. Usually trucks or SUVs. Usually at around 250K there’re still running but every thing else is shot. Then he donates.

It is all a chance you take when the mileage gets up to that.  A friend has the Suburban that I posted about on here a few times has 369k miles on original power-train.  He just had to replace the driveshaft because it fell out while driving down the road.  Lucky he was only doing 30mph.  The only other issues he has had was water pump, radiator for the most part other than the usual stuff.  He just is lucky and has been.  Transmission fluid is basically black.  He is on borrowed time but he also is sitting at some high mileage for a vehicle he really hasn't taken care of.