In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

21 hours ago, Donstar said:

My dealer has only one truck with the 2.7 on their website and I hope to see it today or tomorrow.  It also says it has the Gideon/Very Dark Atmosphere interior.  The pictures aren't very helpful so what can I expect?  The name sounds gloomy which is the opposite of how I'd want the interior of a new truck to feel!

It is not gloomy at all - they did a pretty nice job on breaking up the expanse of black.

I went out on a limb - when I ordered mine, my dealer had 1 truck with this interior and we had to go to a storage lot 20 min away to see it. I am so glad I did!

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

• Like 1

Just a warning...the drivers seat is plenty comfortable but the wife HATES the passenger seat and hates that it’s not more adjustable. She keeps a small pillow there for back support it’s so bad. And we are in our 30s still.

23 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

It is not gloomy at all - they did a pretty nice job on breaking up the expanse of black.

I went out on a limb - when I ordered mine, my dealer had 1 truck with this interior and we had to go to a storage lot 20 min away to see it. I am so glad I did!

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

Very nice looking interior!  How is the 2.7 doing for "real world" economy?  JimTX  talks about his wife hating the passenger seat.  My wife "focuses" on my fuel charges!  Moving from a Vortec 5.3 to an Ecotec 4.3 was noticeable and gained points.  I wonder if moving from the 4.3 to 2.7 will have a similar impact?

Wearing new jeans with light colored seats is out, especially when damp in humid weather. Been there, done that. These seats are not real dyed leather like in my old Caddy.....these are "bonded leather" on the seat surfaces, the balance vinyl. Bonded leather is a mixture of leather dust and polymer, melted and bonded to a neutral matrix...the color is essentially painted on the surface. Dye from new jean, worse when wet, will migrate into the painted surface and discolor.......tired of cleaning every week only to have the beige or light grey seating develop a permanent bluish hue in the a$$ contact seat and back cushion areas.

Strictly black when going to leather on the last few vehicles; dye migration may be there but doesn't show up on black.

Posted (edited)
On 8/10/2019 at 9:20 AM, Donstar said:

Very nice looking interior!  How is the 2.7 doing for "real world" economy?  JimTX  talks about his wife hating the passenger seat.  My wife "focuses" on my fuel charges!  Moving from a Vortec 5.3 to an Ecotec 4.3 was noticeable and gained points.  I wonder if moving from the 4.3 to 2.7 will have a similar impact?

Thank you. 

It does quite well - my average hovers in the 22.5 range per non-towing tank and I am a bit of a lead foot. I can get the 25 mile range to ~26 with a little bit of work. 

I’m curious how it will do when it cools down outside. 

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy

11 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Wearing new jeans with light colored seats is out, especially when damp in humid weather. Been there, done that. These seats are not real dyed leather like in my old Caddy.....these are "bonded leather" on the seat surfaces, the balance vinyl. Bonded leather is a mixture of leather dust and polymer, melted and bonded to a neutral matrix...the color is essentially painted on the surface. Dye from new jean, worse when wet, will migrate into the painted surface and discolor.......tired of cleaning every week only to have the beige or light grey seating develop a permanent bluish hue in the a$$ contact seat and back cushion areas.

Strictly black when going to leather on the last few vehicles; dye migration may be there but doesn't show up on black.

Interesting.  I did not know this.  I was hoping to go with a lighter interior next time, leather or maybe cloth.  FWIW I wouldn't be disappointed if we were offered a greater variety in colour choices for interior finishes.  Black exterior with red interior would be outstanding!

7 hours ago, Donstar said:

Interesting.  I did not know this.  I was hoping to go with a lighter interior next time, leather or maybe cloth.  FWIW I wouldn't be disappointed if we were offered a greater variety in colour choices for interior finishes.  Black exterior with red interior would be outstanding!

Easy to spot. Real leather has a non uniform surface with minor imperfections and creases, different skin thicknesses, etc.  The "bonded" leather grain pattern is uniform looking more like the surrounding vinyl non seat surfaces. Main advantage of leather is the surface doesn't get as hot as vinyl.....back in the 60s-70s when seats were all vinyl.....always carried a towel.....Summer Sun, especially when parked all day by the beach, would get them so hot people who wore shorts would get burns on their the back of their legs.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

Easy to spot. Real leather has a non uniform surface with minor imperfections and creases, different skin thicknesses, etc.  The "bonded" leather grain pattern is uniform looking more like the surrounding vinyl non seat surfaces. Main advantage of leather is the surface doesn't get as hot as vinyl.....back in the 60s-70s when seats were all vinyl.....always carried a towel.....Summer Sun, especially when parked all day by the beach, would get them so hot people who wore shorts would get burns on their the back of their legs

Yes, I remember the shorts on vinyl experience well!  At the time cloth seats were the higher option.  You also had colour choices.  (HD black vinyl was an option on some.) I didn't know about potential problems with colour migration on the bonded leather seat surfaces.  I prefer the leather over the cloth for much the same reasons as the old vinyl. They clean up easily.  I believe the cloth seats have also changed significantly over the years.  They seem more durable and less absorbent.  I had cloth on my last truck and they didn't complain too much over my coffee spills!

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 1