Dealer cost?

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^ Yep.  There is a lot of under the counter stuff that goes on between dealers and OEM.  I know the MSRP is substantially overinflated.   Even on a bad deal day I would not pay more than MSRP minus 20%.    Most every buy I have made in the last 30 years I have gotten at least that or more off of any vehicle including my heavy commercial trucks.  Same goes on in the RV world.  If one pays more than MSRP minus 25% they are getting ripped off.  That is from a factory rep for one of the RV trailer manufacturers I overheard at a RV show one time.

Edited by Cowpie

1 hour ago, Cowpie said:

^^^^ Yep.  There is a lot of under the counter stuff that goes on between dealers and OEM.  I know the MSRP is substantially overinflated.   Even on a bad deal day I would not pay more than MSRP minus 20%.    Most every buy I have made in the last 30 years I have gotten at least that or more off of any vehicle including my heavy commercial trucks.  Same goes on in the RV world.  If one pays more than MSRP minus 25% they are getting ripped off.  That is from a factory rep for one of the RV trailer manufacturers I overheard at a RV show one time.

If MSRP on the HC I ordered is $76,320, I should be paying $61,056 on a bad day? (20% off MSRP). I'd love to get it for that or did I figure that or understand incorrectly?

Well, my 2015 2500 MSRP was $48K and I got it new for $38K. A hair over 20% off MSRP.   I read on another forum where someone picked up a new Dmax 2500 in the $60K - $61K range.  Frankly, I think that is still on the high side.  I can buy a new class 8 semi truck road tractor for $130K.  Easily 4-5 times the truck of a 2500 Dmax and only twice the cost.

Edited by Cowpie

Maybe get that much on the end of a model like the 2019’s.  No way you’d get a 2020 right now for that much off and given this is the 2020 forum I’m sure that’s what we’re talking about.

• Like 2

As long as there are folks who will line up for a new model year like the nerds will line up at the Apple store whenever a new model rolls out, there will be the inflated prices and those who are willing to pay them.  I was watching a recent test drive of a 2020 2500HD 6.6L gasser 4x4 and the folks that were doing it said they got it for around $40K.  Granted, it was not the super loaded up High Country sort of thing. I think it was either a work model or LT.  It was a Crew with standard 6.5 bed.  That price is in line with inflation adjusted pricing of $38K I paid for my 2015 2500HD 6.0 LT.  Pretty tough to imagine that a Dmax unit with all the bells and whistles would be worth more than $62K if they got a 6.6 gasser for $40K, let alone some wild eyed MSRP of $76K.   

As a side note, they were yanking around about 12K of trailer and bobcat track loader.  It was doing a pretty fair job in that altitude and roads.  They were pulling it around on some paved forest roads up in the high country.   Seems the 6.6 performance above the 6.0L is actually there. Now if reliability stays on par with the 6.0L, I might consider one in when the 2022 or 2023 models come out.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Sad 1

Without knowing the MSRP, hard to know how much was taken off to get it to 40k.  I’m one of those nerds that line up for the new trucks, doesn’t mean I don’t want a fair deal on it though.  I fully accept and understand I’ll pay a little more than maybe a guy buying 6 or 8 months later but most of us discussing 2020 prices here are in the market and are looking for realistic feedback.

20 minutes ago, Cowpie said:

As a side note, they were yanking around about 12K of trailer and bobcat track loader.  It was doing a pretty fair job in that altitude and roads.  They were pulling it around on some paved forest roads up in the high country.   Seems the 6.6 performance above the 6.0L is actually there. Now if reliability stays on par with the 6.0L, I might consider one in when the 2022 or 2023 models come out.

Ya..I’ve seen a few as well and it sounds like it’s pretty stout.  Agree on the reliability part, time will tell.  If it ends up being as reliable as the 6.0 and they add the 10spd, I might even give it some consideration for my next truck.  For now sticking with the Dmax.

Well, the 10 spd adds another bit of complexity that I would have to also let ride for 2-3 years to see how well it plays out.  The 8 spd in the 1/2 tons really didn't turn out as well as many hoped.  It is generally ok, but it is nothing really to throw babies in the air and celebrate over compared to the previous 6L80 in the 1/2 tons.

• Like 1

My experience is the variable on the HD trucks are the factory incentives and the volume your dealer does to get the bonuses on the back end.  I have bought enough trucks to know my dealer will give me their invoice price (not MSRP), minus about $2.5k, minus factory incentives, on one sitting on the lot or on one I order, regardless of model year.  If there are no incentives, there are no more discounts than $2.5k off invoice.  I picked up a 2019 this spring for about $11-12k off MSRP.  IIRC this had about $4-5k in factory incentives.  I am guessing maybe Christmas or maybe next June/July there will be $3-5k in factory incentives on the new 2020 trucks depending on how they are moving.  I won't buy a truck without factory money on top because if there is no factory money now there will be in a few months.  And no way I'd ever pay MSRP.  

7 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

My experience is the variable on the HD trucks are the factory incentives and the volume your dealer does to get the bonuses on the back end.  I have bought enough trucks to know my dealer will give me their invoice price (not MSRP), minus about $2.5k, minus factory incentives, on one sitting on the lot or on one I order, regardless of model year.  If there are no incentives, there are no more discounts than $2.5k off invoice.  I picked up a 2019 this spring for about $11-12k off MSRP.  IIRC this had about $4-5k in factory incentives.  I am guessing maybe Christmas or maybe next June/July there will be $3-5k in factory incentives on the new 2020 trucks depending on how they are moving.  I won't buy a truck without factory money on top because if there is no factory money now there will be in a few months.  And no way I'd ever pay MSRP.  

How is GM with incentives?  I know Ford is pretty tight with their Super Duty's, I think right now it's like 2500-3k in incentives. 

I know RAM basically gives trucks away with their factory rebates and incentives.  People are getting close to 20k in rebates and incentives.

What we are witnessing here regarding the buying habits of some is a clear analogy to the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment testing delayed gratification.  

If you want to know what a good deal is go to Laura Buick/GMC website.  It is one of, if not the largest Sierra dealer in the nation.  The also have a pretty close to no haggle pricing policy where what they list online is what they sell it for and they are usually the best deal you will find.

Right now it looks like around 10% off for a brand new ‘20 Denali but closer to 20% for a new ‘19 Denali.

They have tons of inventory as well.

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brclark82 said:

If you want to know what a good deal is go to Laura Buick/GMC website.  It is one of, if not the largest Sierra dealer in the nation.  The also have a pretty close to no haggle pricing policy where what they list online is what they sell it for and they are usually the best deal you will find.

Right now it looks like around 10% off for a brand new ‘20 Denali but closer to 20% for a new ‘19 Denali.

They have tons of inventory as well.

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/

Exactly what I would expect..Pay a bit more when they just come out.