Dealer cost?

5 hours ago, Skai R said:

How is GM with incentives?  I know Ford is pretty tight with their Super Duty's, I think right now it's like 2500-3k in incentives. 

I know RAM basically gives trucks away with their factory rebates and incentives.  People are getting close to 20k in rebates and incentives.

Hit and miss and they don't seem to advertise incentives on HD trucks.  But they do rotate them through and I look for at least $5k in factory money before I'll buy.    I don't think i've ever seen more than $7k in factory money, but I'm not always shopping.  

Hey guys, I see you guys have a lot more experience dealing with dealers. I would like to get some suggestions...

So I went to test drive a 2020 High country LTZ with pretty much all the option with MSR $75,400. The sales person said there’s no discounts to offer at the moment but they are willing to sell it to me at their price $70k with 0 down or 3-5k down. What  are Your thoughts?

12 minutes ago, TrailDemon said:

Hey guys, I see you guys have a lot more experience dealing with dealers. I would like to get some suggestions...

So I went to test drive a 2020 High country LTZ with pretty much all the option with MSR $75,400. The sales person said there’s no discounts to offer at the moment but they are willing to sell it to me at their price $70k with 0 down or 3-5k down. What  are Your thoughts?

I believe your question was answered if you read the entire thread.

If your happy with the deal is all that matters.

:)

1 hour ago, TrailDemon said:

I would guess you could get that truck for $67-68k right now if you find the right dealer.  Some of the smaller volume dealers probably do have to sell it for $70k right now with no factory incentives but the larger volume dealers will be able to pass a few extra K in savings to you. 

4 hours ago, TrailDemon said:

70/74.5 = 0.94

Suggests that the current discount 'offer' at that dealer is 6%. 

I think what the sales person was saying is there are no GM 'discount' programs at this time. 

My guess is there won't be until the 'gotta get the new one now' sales have been complete -- and maybe also til the rest of the cab/box versions are being produced. 

Doesn't mean you can't negotiate.

Like the advertising often says --'Dealers may sell for less'. 

But while their supply is limited, they will also not be as likely to reduce pricing.

If anyone really wants to know how the deal process works on an RV, all the ins and outs to getting the best deal you can, I highly recommend  they trot on over to the RV Masters website and plunk down the $97 for a comprehensive, in depth, hard core 23 lesson study series on how to buy an RV.  Done by a very reputable guy who owns RV's and has worked as a salesman in RV's.   

I recently did the course and it was very informative.  No smoke and mirrors nonsense.  No goofy how the take the dealer out and kill them on the deal stuff. Just basic business sense on what you need to know on negotiating a good deal and understanding the various tactics employed to move your focus from one number to another without you even realizing it. It just levels the playing field.   

This study series is targeted toward RV's but the principles are strikingly similar to virtually every big ticket item, especially vehicles.

Some of this discount stuff that gets bandied around and discounts for financing thru the dealer and other stuff is all fluff that really ends up being a win for the dealer.  You really need to know how the game is played to get the best deal.  They have far more information to work with than you do when you go into the deal.  You have to keep focus and understand how these things are done and the various subtle tactics they use.  Not that they are all sleaze mongers, but they do have established business practices that are designed to give them the edge and maximize their profit.  It is just business. 

Edited by Cowpie

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 10:40 PM, Cowpie said:

Well, the 10 spd adds another bit of complexity that I would have to also let ride for 2-3 years to see how well it plays out.  The 8 spd in the 1/2 tons really didn't turn out as well as many hoped.  It is generally ok, but it is nothing really to throw babies in the air and celebrate over compared to the previous 6L80 in the 1/2 tons.

I think most of the 8 speed problems are the AFM. I have mine turned off and shifts better than any other vehicle i have ever had. I hit my range disabler with my knee one day and disconnecting it not realizing i did it. I could tell right away coming to a stop tranny was acting funny. Plugged back in the Range and everything went back to normal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please see attachment.

My dealer is ordering this 2020 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab Long Box Gas Engine 4WD Truck for me this Thursday 09/12/19.

My final cost will depend on the incentives that GMC is offering when my truck is delivered in approximately 8-12 weeks.

Not including any available incentives at time of delivery, my dealer is selling truck to me for less than “Invoice” price, which equals a 7% discount.

Obviously, because it’s a new model and I’m ordering & purchasing at the initial release, room for negotiation is less than if I were buying a 2019 model from inventory.

Hope this is helpful.

Kind regards

From The Lone Star State

190906 2020 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab Long Box Gas Engine 4WD Truck Build.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Say When said:

My final cost will depend on the incentives that GMC is offering when my truck is delivered in approximately 8-12 weeks.

190906 2020 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab Long Box Gas Engine 4WD Truck Build.pdf 1.99 MB · 4 downloads

I suspect based on some buying history the best chance for early incentives on a new model would be the last two weeks in December.  Otherwise, I suspect significant incentives probably won't hit till June/July on the 2020s.   You might get lucky with that order time frame.  

I paid 74k for my 79k MSRP Denali HD in August.  I feel like I got a decent deal but not a great deal... in the end it all comes down to what kind of deal you feel your getting.  Every dealer, every region, every market will have different pricing.  Some of those dealers such as Laura do advertise great deals, but 90% of the time there is hidden costs like TTL/registration fees.  Each state also has different sales tax implementations, in Texas you pay tax on the trade difference, some states are straight up full tax on every purchase.

Well I like the 80% off window sticker msrp method so far.

I was also told that invoice minus hold back plus incentives (before TT) could be a great deal too.

The 80% method applied to a 2019 70k slt if accepted would make one fine day for us.

Prepared to walk though. Will post in after smoke clears.

Thanks for a solid forum and feedback from a few.

Steve

4 hours ago, chainslack said:

Well I like the 80% off window sticker msrp method so far.

I was also told that invoice minus hold back plus incentives (before TT) could be a great deal too.

The 80% method applied to a 2019 70k slt if accepted would make one fine day for us.

Prepared to walk though. Will post in after smoke clears.

Thanks for a solid forum and feedback from a few.

Steve

20% off you mean...If you get 80% off I’ll pay you to negotiate my next deal!

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 12:12 AM, MrGraff said:

I paid 74k for my 79k MSRP Denali HD in August.  I feel like I got a decent deal but not a great deal... in the end it all comes down to what kind of deal you feel your getting.  Every dealer, every region, every market will have different pricing.  Some of those dealers such as Laura do advertise great deals, but 90% of the time there is hidden costs like TTL/registration fees.  Each state also has different sales tax implementations, in Texas you pay tax on the trade difference, some states are straight up full tax on every purchase.

Of course.  When we are talking about price paid for the vehicle, it is the price alone, not the taxes, plates and registration, etc.  And I don't let a wild batch of dealer fees come into play.  The dealer is already compensated by the OEM for "dealer prep" and such. The OEM doesn't want the dealer handing off a new vehicle that looks like trash or the radio doesn't work or the spare is missing.  There are OEM standards a dealer must follow and the dealer is compensated for.   Also, the transport cost is already on the sticker and included in the MSRP total.   Any dealer that tries to throw that stuff in the mix is trying to rip the customer off. That is like going to a restaurant and ordering a meal where you see the actual price of items and when you go to pay the tab, they tack on a "fee" for cleaning up your  table afterwards.  Above and beyond any taxes and tip to the waiter, which would be analogous to taxes and registration fees in this discussion.  The only legitimate fee the dealer can charge is the filling fees for the paperwork with the government.

Just always remember the "curb law".  You are not obligated for anything, even the financing you signed for, until you actually take possession and drive the vehicle past the "curb" and on down the road.  As long as the vehicle is still at the dealership you can walk away from any deal if they try to play these kinds of games.  This is why you keep all parts of the deal separate.  The price to actually buy the vehicle is one part.  The financing, if any, is another part.  The trade, if any, is another part, taxes and fees are another part.  Where people get all screwed over is when all these things are being treated as a bundle before the actual price of the new vehicle has not yet been established and settled.  Take things one step at a time and don't be maneuvered around by the dealer.  

Edited by Cowpie