2014 Silverado Electrical Problem (100% DEAD No Apparent Reason)

Hey guys,

Here's the rundown: 2014 Silverado, 5.3L, 105k miles, battery replaced about 1.5 years ago, roughly 20k miles since battery was replaced.

I've had plenty of grounding issues in the past - stabilitrack, power-steering whipping the steering wheel around, etc. Those problems are heavily documented.  I have not found any info on the issue I had to deal with today. 

Truck started without hesitation, drove to work without issue. An hour or two later -  for absolutely no apparent reason - the truck was completely dead. No headlights, no radio, no dash illumination and the remote didn't even work. Battery showed 12.9 volts. No fuses were blown. Ground connections were intact. On the advice of a coworker, I disconnected the positive and negative leads from the battery and shorted them together - keeping them wired together for 10 minutes. This fixed the truck. 

If someone could offer their opinion on what might have gone wrong, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Edited by 14x4

I’d check out the negative cable if you didn’t replace it already seems there is a possible crimping problem on the early years of these trucks. I found this thread and I know I’ve read at least one other like this I can’t find now? 

• Thanks 1

Bump. Happened again the next day. Talked to a mechanic who suggested that it could possibly be the bcm. Any info would be appreciated. 

I’m pretty sure I’ve participated so here goes, a few years back my wife’s Escalade started having somewhat the same issues, lots of visits to the dealership and finally found that the negative battery cable wasn’t crimped on well enough causing jerking and all sorts of issues, worked great from there on out. Everything is electronic now, transmission, steering, everything so just a slight issue can cause serious side effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Almost forgot, here’s another one, my new 18 had stiff steering when cold outside, took it in and the same thing was replaced. Its weird, what the heck does a stiff steering wheel have to do with a cable in cold weather, lol

Hope this helps:
ed71b99dd5bec239d4b57f9b0b636be8.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Almost forgot, here’s another one, my new 18 had stiff steering when cold outside, took it in and the same thing was replaced. Its weird, what the heck does a stiff steering wheel have to do with a cable in cold weather, lol

Hope this helps:
ed71b99dd5bec239d4b57f9b0b636be8.jpg

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 3:27 PM, Eddie 70 said:

Weird it seems to just be the negative cable with the high resistance crimps.

it can be the neg cable or the pos cable that runs from the battery to the fuse block on battery. 

spec on neg cable is less then 200mv , spec on short red cable is less then 100 mv.

before a voltage drop test can be done, the battery has to be loaded tested and verified good if not replaced. then perform voltage drop test. 

battery cables have been an issue on gm trucks since like 08ish

if you take it into dealer after it happens it might have history low voltage codes like that RO showed. if you wait to long it might clear them out. 

• Like 1