2016 transmission issues?

I would like to start off by addressing one thing that happened as I was trying to sign up for this site.  The "create an account" feature is broken and would not work after multiple attempts, please fix.  I didn't want to link my facebook, but it was unavoidable.

On to my reason for being here.  A little over a year ago I bought a 2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71.  Shortly after purchase it began having what I believe are transmission issues.  From a stop or at least slow speed when I would begin accelerating the truck would hesitate to take off and then it feels like the tranny would eventually grab and the whole truck would jump rather significantly.  I have also experienced this when coming to a stop.  The first many times it happened it was enough that I actually got out to see if I had been rear ended by somebody. 

The truck only has 55,000 miles on it so it is still under warranty for a little while longer.  I have taken it to chevy 3 times now for this problem and each time they give it back after a few days and say it needed a :"software update"   I am skeptical whether this actually is the fix to my problem, but even though the problem returns after a few weeks of having it, it seems to vastly improve it for that time.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is Chevy just biding it time and stringing me along so they won't have to pay for a transmission?

Edited by Tommy Wade

I had extremely similar issues with my 2016 8speed.  This is how I fixed it.  It's been 3 years and 20k miles and the issues haven't returned.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081880-5448.pdf

https://gm.oemdtc.com/6777/16-na-019-information-on-transmission-adaptive-functions-and-correcting-low-mileage-harsh-shifts-slips-or-flares-2016-2017-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

Note: The transmission fluid temperature must be between 35°C (95°F) and 95°C (203°F). Drive vehicle under normal conditions until this temperature range is achieved. If temperature is outside this range, the clutches will not be learned.

To Learn C1 (For 6-7 or 3-1 Shift) This solved the feeling of being rear-ended when coming to a slow stop between 0 and 5 mph

1. Pressure Learns:

Note: It is recommended to utilize a road with a speed limit between of 30-45 mph (48-72 km/h) for this procedure.

• Shift the transmission into 6th gear with the PRNDM in the M position. Obtain an engine speed between 1000 and 1600 engine rpm. Maintain this condition for a total of about 5 miles (8 km). Cruise control may be used and has been found to result in faster learning of the clutch values.
  1. Volume Learns:
    • Complete 15 light throttle 6-7 upshifts at approximately 15% throttle to further learn C1.

I also did this:

To Learn C4 (For 1-2, 5-6, or 7-8 Shift) This solved a laggy 1-2 shift when accelerating moderately

1. Pressure Learns:

Note: It is recommended to utilize a road with a speed limit between of 40-45 mph (64-72 km/h) for this procedure.

• Shift the transmission into 7th gear with the PRNDM in the M position. Obtain an engine speed between 1000 and 1750 rpm. Maintain this condition for a total of about 5 miles (8 km). Cruise control may be used and has been found to result in faster learning of the clutch values.

Important: Application Specific Express & Savana Vans Pressure Learns:Perform 10 normal mode 7-6 coast down shifts (zero/light brake) to learn the C4 Return Spring.

1. Volume Learns:
    • Complete 15 light throttle 1-2 upshifts at approximately 15% throttle to further learn C4.
Edited by m3n00b

I don't know much about this issue and haven't had a 2016 (went from 2008 to 2019) but from my knowledge of software development, I tend to think @m3n00b might be on to something.

If it "works" for a little while and then begins to degrade after a "software update" I think it could very easily be that the update is just resetting configs and your driving habits (not blaming you at all, GMs issue) are confusing it as it learns and re-configures itself on the fly.

It might sound silly, but give those procedures a try.

18 minutes ago, Maverick0984 said:

I don't know much about this issue and haven't had a 2016 (went from 2008 to 2019) but from my knowledge of software development, I tend to think @m3n00b might be on to something.

If it "works" for a little while and then begins to degrade after a "software update" I think it could very easily be that the update is just resetting configs and your driving habits (not blaming you at all, GMs issue) are confusing it as it learns and re-configures itself on the fly.

It might sound silly, but give those procedures a try.

It's a factory relearn for the clutches.  It's something the techs are supposed to do but none will actually drive the truck for an hour to do it.  They updated my software 3x and didn't solve the problem until I did those steps. 

1 hour ago, m3n00b said:

It's a factory relearn for the clutches.  It's something the techs are supposed to do but none will actually drive the truck for an hour to do it.  They updated my software 3x and didn't solve the problem until I did those steps.  

Ah, okay.  That makes a lot of sense but how does it do that from the factory when you get a truck with 8 miles on it?

Ah, okay.  That makes a lot of sense but how does it do that from the factory when you get a truck with 8 miles on it?
Mine had 3 miles on it when I took delivery. Short answer is that they don't. They assume the factory values will work from day 1 and that eventually you will drive enough for the trans to learn...this isn't the case bacause I never drove in M6 or M7 mode. I think they hope people won't notice.

I would like to start off by addressing one thing that happened as I was trying to sign up for this site.  The "create an account" feature is broken and would not work after multiple attempts, please fix.  I didn't want to link my facebook, but it was unavoidable.

Same problem here. The site has captcha misconfigured, so you can’t create an account.

Go into your settings and change your user name. The site allows 1 change.

Then log out. Go to log in, but use the link to reset password for your new user name.

Go to the profile and unlink your Facebook.

Obviously it would be much easier if they’d fix their captcha problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk