Clicking/Clank Sound *Update*

Picked up truck on Thursday and the dealership had supposedly fixed the issue.

According to them it was a wire harness that needed to be shielded better and was causing the clicking. (TSB 5280718)

Well this morning, took the truck to work and had the windows down, and it's definitely still there. 

From listening to this video, I do not think this is a harness or wire that's clicking. This sounds like a mechanical click.

What do you guys think?

Will be going back to dealership soon.

On 8/14/2019 at 11:13 AM, Pawg said:

my 19 LTZ clunks every down shift.  Dealer says normal LOL... Sometimes when I go it doesnt down shift and shutters as well.  Normal I am told.  

i get this too. a clunk at lower speeds when slowing down. For me it sounds like something is banging around in the bed... but it's empty.

48 minutes ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

Picked up truck on Thursday and the dealership had supposedly fixed the issue.

According to them it was a wire harness that needed to be shielded better and was causing the clicking. (TSB 5280718)

Well this morning, took the truck to work and had the windows down, and it's definitely still there. 

From listening to this video, I do not think this is a harness or wire that's clicking. This sounds like a mechanical click.

What do you guys think?

Will be going back to dealership soon.

That definitely does not sound anything like a wire harness, I'd show them this video at the dealership before anything.

6 minutes ago, ChinkySuperman said:

That definitely does not sound anything like a wire harness, I'd show them this video at the dealership before anything.

I recorded it this morning. I sent it over to my advisor today via email. We'll see what they say. Just pissed I have to go back to the dealership. It's far from my house.

Used thebĺ

6 hours ago, Belo said:

i get this too. a clunk at lower speeds when slowing down. For me it sounds like something is banging around in the bed... but it's empty.

Loaded the Flashpaq 87 tune and so far so better.  Btw, summit has them as $406 plus $50 rebate.  That's a home run.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

I recorded it this morning. I sent it over to my advisor today via email. We'll see what they say. Just pissed I have to go back to the dealership. It's far from my house.

For what it's worth, you can go to any GM dealer and have the noise worked on.

6 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

For what it's worth, you can go to any GM dealer and have the noise worked on.

I did and they supposedly fixed it. Said it was a harness that needed to be shielded right above the transmission. Obviously it wasn't it.

I plan on taking it back, but this time want to be armed with more information.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

I did and they supposedly fixed it. Said it was a harness that needed to be shielded right above the transmission. Obviously it wasn't it.

I plan on taking it back, but this time want to be armed with more information.

I mean, if the dealer you bought the truck from is far away and there's a closer GM dealer that's closer to where you are, you can go to the closest one. You don't have to go to the dealer you bought it from. But it's up to you. If your current dealer is willing to continue trying to find the noise, there's nothing wrong with sticking with them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 6:04 AM, Chevrolet33 said:

any update on this issue? I have the exact same noise happening everytime I take off from a stop. No clue what it could be yet. Sounds exactly like an a/c compressor cyling like you mentioned. 

Yup.

It's related to this: 

Seeing as how multiple people have taken theirs in for the "FIX" and the problems returned, I will wait this out until I know they really have it figured out.

Mine stopped clicking all together out of nowhere anyways.

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss
  • Like 1

Got word yesterday via my chief engineer here at work that GM Global Propulsion Systems (GPS, formerly GM Powertrain) is investigating some exhaust heat shield & other stamping noises that fall under whistles, chirps and ticks that they've supposedly found & are looking to remedy.  That's all the "inside" information I've been able to get without being overly pushy.

Edited by Wheelguy

5 minutes ago, Wheelguy said:

Got word yesterday from GM Global Propulsion Systems (GPS, formerly GM Powertrain) via my Chief Engineer at work that GM GPS is investigating some exhaust heat shield noises that fall under whistles, chirps and ticks that they've supposedly found & are looking to remedy.  That's all the "inside" information I've been able to get without being overly pushy.

I think my clicking may be related to the axle stub shaft.

10 hours ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

I think my clicking may be related to the axle stub shaft.

If your clicking goes away in 4WD then I'd think it's the stub shaft issue.  Like I've mentioned in that jingle thread, I had a loaner that I felt was making the jingle sound & it wasn't what I would call a clicking sound at all (I did listen to your videos & that wasn't what I heard - you could hear the sound inside the cab with windows up).  The sound I heard sounded like tiny pebbles pinging around underneath.  Listen to that first movie where the guy used his hand to make the ping clinking sound & imagine that sped up 2000 times - was a bit high pitched & definitely stopped when pushing the 4WD button.

With that being said, I'm not qualified to say your issue is or isn't related to the stub shaft problem or what I heard was definitely the stub shaft noise.  Also, what you feel is a click might described as a ping or other sound to me or someone else.  Trying to communicate these sounds via words can be wishy washy at best, IMO.

What would be just completely ironic is if the heat shield & other stamping issues GM GPS is supposedly looking at right now ended up curing all these mysterious sounds that have been described in various ways. ?

I forgot to add to that bit of info in my post above that my chief sent the oil pcv PIP document to GM GPS because they'd never heard of any issues with the pcv making noises - yet there's a pip for a chirping noise coming from the engine (dated 10/2018 IIRC) & no fix due to a supposed engineering change being considered.  That make me just roll my eyes & shake my head.  Seems like no one at GM (at least among the powertrain folks) knows what's going on with strange noise concerns from customers - only what they've managed to find on their own after more than a year of building trucks and excluding their road test periods prior to production.  Test drivers must have been wearing earbuds all day....?

Edited by Wheelguy