4ply or 10ply A/T ridge grapplers?

Hey guys,

calling around to get some new all terrains on my 2015 1500

looking at the 275/60/20 ridge grapplers. I wasn’t aware Untill I just called.. they offer a 4ply for $220/tire mounted balanced or 10ply for $270/tire mounted and balanced. 

The money difference isn’t an issue I just wonder if it’s worth the extra to get the thicker sidewall? It’s more puncture resistant, However is there a sidewall tread pattern difference since it’s  got a thicker wall? 

Will it ride like complete crap with the 10 ply?

thoughts...?!

thanks!! 

I’ve punctured 10 ply tires just as much as the other.... in that size, you would be more comfortable with the 4 ply.  

I run LT285/60R20 and to get a decent ride I run them at 38 psi cold.  Really should be running 42 psi based on the conversion table from Toyo Tires but it definitely has an impact on ride quality.  As you go bigger, the p-metric options are hard to find. Nitto Terra Graplers G2 come in a 305/55R20 "XL" version which is lighter.

I've gone the route if 10 ply tires on a half ton a few times and always missed the ride of the p metrics. I have 8 ply Duratracs on now and although it rides just ok I'm already looking forward to the next set being p metrics. 

I searched these Duratracs out because they were only 8 ply and the lightest aggressive tires in my size of 285/70/17's. 

You don't have nearly the sidewall I do. I sure wouldn't consider 10 ply. 

295/60/20 here

5cb26e5026e8f4d1ea3026316845b3fa.jpg

Definitely a huge difference in ride quality from stock. Nitto Ridge Grapplers are heavier and definitely affect your acceleration and braking as well as negatively affect your mpg’s.

They’re very durable, ride smooth as long as you’re on a smooth surface. I’ve got coil overs which help but if I could find a lighter Ridge Grappler I’d jump on it but until then, I’m running these. I’d look at Toyo Open Country AT2’s but have heard they’re coming out with a new version soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Bill109 said:

Hey guys,

calling around to get some new all terrains on my 2015 1500

looking at the 275/60/20 ridge grapplers. I wasn’t aware Untill I just called.. they offer a 4ply for $220/tire mounted balanced or 10ply for $270/tire mounted and balanced. 

The money difference isn’t an issue I just wonder if it’s worth the extra to get the thicker sidewall? It’s more puncture resistant, However is there a sidewall tread pattern difference since it’s  got a thicker wall? 

Will it ride like complete crap with the 10 ply?

thoughts...?!

thanks!! 

You do not need 10ply tires on your 1500.  They will cost you more at the time of purchase and at the pump for the life of the tire.  Like others, I had to try it myself to learn my lesson.  You may also want to review your reasons for buying all terrain tires. Buying them for their looks is a good reason but know that they typically wear faster and do not improve traction on normal roads.  I typically use Michelin all season highway tires on my truck and never shy away from snow covered or gravel roads.  I also enjoy a quiet, smooth ride and achieve factory tire mpg's.  

Thank you guys for the input. A lot of great info here. 

Im glad I’ve asked, I have done some searching and everyone has mixed opinions on the 10.  I’m going to keep looking into this however the previous comments here regarding weight, along with performance loss is of concern. The truck has the 6.2 which is more power than I need. I use the truck to take the boat to the lake all summer, and occasionally move things around with a car hauler. 

Does a stiffer sidewall compromise traction? 

My main concern was the weight of the truck on the 4 ply. Im concerned it will constantly look like it’s got low/flat tires. I also think a 10ply will wear more evenly since it’s got the added sidewall strength. 

Edited by Bill109

You do not need 10ply tires on your 1500.  They will cost you more at the time of purchase and at the pump for the life of the tire.  Like others, I had to try it myself to learn my lesson.  You may also want to review your reasons for buying all terrain tires. Buying them for their looks is a good reason but know that they typically wear faster and do not improve traction on normal roads.  I typically use Michelin all season highway tires on my truck and never shy away from snow covered or gravel roads.  I also enjoy a quiet, smooth ride and achieve factory tire mpg's.  

I’ve owned a lot of trucks and SUV’s, Michelin Defenders and AT2’s are literally identical when it comes to traction in any off-road condition, not at all good for lose soil and especially not good at all in wet grass. You can get much better traction with half-way worn AT tires in those conditions. My experience while driving in snow with both we not at all good, lots of slipping and sliding but the one thing I did appreciate about the Michelin tires was their comfort, smooth on the road and slightly better mpg’s but there are far better tires with better traction with about the same ride comfort. Defenders were great on towing, much better on wear and mpg’s.
I’m currently running Nitto Ridge Grapplers, which have completely out performed Michelin’s in everything except mpg’s which I’m perfectly fine with especially because I was getting nails and screws in my LT Michelin’s ever few months and nothing in a year with my Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I probably jinxed myself now lol.
Today’s tire technology, you’ll get much more then what was offered 5-10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I’ve owned a lot of trucks and SUV’s, Michelin Defenders and AT2’s are literally identical when it comes to traction in any off-road condition, not at all good for lose soil and especially not good at all in wet grass. You can get much better traction with half-way worn AT tires in those conditions. My experience while driving in snow with both we not at all good, lots of slipping and sliding but the one thing I did appreciate about the Michelin tires was their comfort, smooth on the road and slightly better mpg’s but there are far better tires with better traction with about the same ride comfort. Defenders were great on towing, much better on wear and mpg’s.

I’m currently running Nitto Ridge Grapplers, which have completely out performed Michelin’s in everything except mpg’s which I’m perfectly fine with especially because I was getting nails and screws in my LT Michelin’s ever few months and nothing in a year with my Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I probably jinxed myself now lol.
Today’s tire technology, you’ll get much more then what was offered 5-10 years ago.

Good information.  The trouble with tires is that they are costly which makes it difficult to experiment!  It is great to hear the real world experiences of others.  I tend to find a product that has served me well and not deviate!  When tire buying time rolls (pun intended) around I usually do a decent amount of "shopping".  For the past 20 years, I have found the convenience, quality cost, and support of the Costco/Michelin experience to be unbeatable.

• Like 1