Winter Tires

On 8/26/2019 at 10:11 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

17" rims and Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 gets my vote. 

I'm running DM-V2s as well..

Much improved from the V-1s.

not only do these tires make you almost unstoppable...  Their ability to bite in snow so hard really promotes very consistent and predictable handling, making driving in the snow way more fun.  you can power slide around corners, release that gas pedal and the tires just dig in and straighten you out.  

snow tires is for the guy who doesn't mess around and wants ultimate performance... other guys just say fuk it and get used to sub-par traction... their choice.

1111.JPG

22.jpg

3333.JPG

• Like 1

Nokian winter tires hands down, the best winter tire on the market. It’s developed in Finland where where they have some of the harshest winter storms on the globe. I’m in northern Ontario and it’s the only tires I’ll run on my truck.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KozzyJr said:

Nokian winter tires hands down, the best winter tire on the market. It’s developed in Finland where where they have some of the harshest winter storms on the globe. I’m in northern Ontario and it’s the only tires I’ll run on my truck.

I'm running a set on a BMW diesel wagon with x-drive.  It's just rips through anything... lots of fun.  that company does not mess around - high end tire.

• 2 years later...
On 8/22/2019 at 1:27 PM, zzrsouth said:

I find used OEM rims on CL or Ebay for my winter tires and buy a 2nd set of oem sensors off Ebay.  Its definately a pita compared to the pre TPMS days.  Usu the CL used rim cost is not much worse than steelies and in the past you could associate the sensors following the owners manual deflate - inflate procedure.

I think 255/70R17, the minimum OEM tire, would be the most effective winter size and probably what I'll get as it's an Xice2 size.

Just discovered today that my local GM dealer won't install undersized winter tires on my AT4 (came stock with 20s and my winters from my '11 Silverado are 265 65R18) - and they refuse to recalibrate the speedometer to the smaller tires.  

On 8/28/2019 at 12:34 AM, KozzyJr said:

I couldn't find any Nokians to match the 20" AT4 tire size (265 60R20) - it looked like they top out at 19"... what size are you running?

Have you verified that the winter rims from you '111 will fit on your current truck?

Some of the older ones will work, others the wheel spokes will interfere.

(the diameter is not the problem -- the still use 17" and 18" )

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 1:38 PM, sackvilledan said:

Just discovered today that my local GM dealer won't install undersized winter tires on my AT4 (came stock with 20s and my winters from my '11 Silverado are 265 65R18) - and they refuse to recalibrate the speedometer to the smaller tires.  

I couldn't find any Nokians to match the 20" AT4 tire size (265 60R20) - it looked like they top out at 19"... what size are you running?

275/55r20

On 11/10/2021 at 1:38 PM, sackvilledan said:

According to 'tire size comparator' ( https://tiresize.com/comparison/ ) 275/65R18 is within 3% of 275/60R20.

No speedo recal necessary. Speedo 60 indicated should be 58.4 actual (assuming the OE tire is true to the 

Of course second set of rims and pressure sensors required. 

I just got a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta-R3 is available in the above 18" size.  (installed on GM 'take-off' rims)

To soon to offer evaluation / comment other than smooth and quiet running. 

On 11/10/2021 at 11:38 AM, sackvilledan said:

I just removed a set of hakkapeliitta 7suv studded off my rims in 275/60R20. 

F349D188-1F69-4B2D-81FA-DBA79BE73B00.jpeg

Edited by Snakes709