Winter Tires

Michellin X-ices are the best winter 'truck/SUV' tire I've found.

Xi2 s are the LT version.

Have them in the wife's Tahoe and it's our ski resort vehicle.  With the G80 rear 4wd is hardly ever needed unless it's a long and steep hill

• Like 1

I just picked up a new 2018 Sierra Denali with the ultimate package and 22” wheels.  I will not be using the factory all seasons that come on the truck.  Instead I will probably minus size to a 265/70/17.  I believe there is a sticker on the drivers side rocker panel.  It shows the factory spare tire size.  This is a safe  size to run.  I may go with Michelin Latitude X ice 2.

Thanks everyone, I am not asking if i should get winters.  I am getting them, always have had them. The 20s came stock on the truck but I cannot find a 20" black steel winter rim.  Will have to go to a 17 or 18" rim size so I am asking what tire size people are going with because the closest OD matching size is only available in LT.

Also asking what happens when you don't have sensors in your tires.  In the toyotas I have always had, the tire light comes on after about 20mins of driving thats all.  Am I going to get anything else from my GMC, like a giant error message on the screen?

4 hours ago, Grey Jay said:

Thanks everyone, I am not asking if i should get winters.  I am getting them, always have had them. The 20s came stock on the truck but I cannot find a 20" black steel winter rim.  Will have to go to a 17 or 18" rim size so I am asking what tire size people are going with because the closest OD matching size is only available in LT.

Also asking what happens when you don't have sensors in your tires.  In the toyotas I have always had, the tire light comes on after about 20mins of driving thats all.  Am I going to get anything else from my GMC, like a giant error message on the screen?

I find used OEM rims on CL or Ebay for my winter tires and buy a 2nd set of oem sensors off Ebay.  Its definately a pita compared to the pre TPMS days.  Usu the CL used rim cost is not much worse than steelies and in the past you could associate the sensors following the owners manual deflate - inflate procedure.

I think 255/70R17, the minimum OEM tire, would be the most effective winter size and probably what I'll get as it's an Xice2 size.

Edited by zzrsouth

On 8/21/2019 at 7:36 AM, Mountain boy said:

Factory tires do fine in the snow.

Factory tires are jack of all trades, master of none.  Temperature is the enemy, and since your in TN if probably doesnt get too cold..... thus your tires don't get too hard when it get below 15 degrees and your traction is decent.

If you're looking for ultimate bite on ice and snow i would get the Blizzak DM-V2s  - 275/60/20.

Hakkapeliitta are also extremely good.... 

In extreme conditions, when you need traction the most, you got family in the truck, other families on the road...  it's a no-brainer for folks in harsh climates.

30 minutes ago, Mountain boy said:

I lived in Northern Virginia for 40 years and have driven in a lot of deep snow on stock tires in Vermont. They have this thing called four wheel drive. 

A good saying around here is that 4x4 will help get you out of the ditch, but not prevent you from hitting it.

Winter tires 100% have their place.

Edited by killramos
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 7:59 AM, Grey Jay said:

Get another set of sensors installed in your winter wheels.

Only takes about a minute walk the teach tool around the truck and 'train' the sensors to the truck at wheel change time. 

8 hours ago, Mountain boy said:

I lived in Northern Virginia for 40 years and have driven in a lot of deep snow on stock tires in Vermont. They have this thing called four wheel drive. 

4WD can't help you brake and steer on ice like proper winter tires can.

• Like 3

In Canada some provinces have mandated winter tires, I agree with that. If your life isn’t worth a few hundred dollars for winter tires then what’s it worth.
I just purchased a new LT TRail Boss. I’m downsizing to the 17 inch wheels that come on the base model Silverado.
Added sensors and firestone winterforce 265/70/17
Maybe not the best snow tire but it’s still a snow tire.
According to the dealer my speedo will be 4 km/hour less 100 would actually be 96.

I’ve run blizzacks and Toyo observe gsi in the past with great results.
Definitely Toyo were the best.

Just get tires the same OD as stock and your speedo will work fine. There are online calculators that you can put the stock size in and it will tell you equivalent size in a different rim.

Also even the “mandatory winters” in Canada (Province if Quebec, and B.C. Highways) are still based on the snowflake standard which comes woefully short of a true winter tire.

For context, the Pirelli PZero AS tires that came on my mustang in Arizona met the snowflake symbol standard. And they were near slicks.  

Edited by killramos
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 8:14 PM, Mountain boy said:

does 4 wheel drive help you stop? ?

hey if you feel good with All seasons, fine with me. 

But factually, a truck with proper snow will simply run circles around you in adverse conditions.  in the past 7-8 years, the improvement in rubber compound and tread design has dramatically increased their effectiveness. 

I run Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s on my RWD V10 M5 and i could drive circles around you.   There is no comparison.

Edited by PabloK
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, killramos said:

Just get tires the same OD as stock and your speedo will work fine. There are online calculators that you can put the stock size in and it will tell you equivalent size in a different rim.

Also even the “mandatory winters” in Canada (Province if Quebec, and B.C. Highways) are still based on the snowflake standard which comes woefully short of a true winter tire.

For context, the Pirelli PZero AS tires that came on my mustang in Arizona met the snowflake symbol standard. And they were near slicks.  

100% spot on.

• Thanks 1