Tire Size Option HELP for 2" Leveling Kit for Z71 with Stock 18" Rims

Hello, looking for a little help here.  I have a 2018 Z71 Silverado Crew Cab with stock factory Goodyear Wranglers tires and rims.  I had a 2" Motofab leveling kit installed for ground clearance for the front air dam and to put a slightly larger tire on when the originals wear out.  After I installed the kit my factory tires began rubbing on the inner side wall against the upper control arm - I thought this was odd as I'm reading guys are running 275 and sometimes 285s on their trucks and the rubbing concern was more specific to the wheel well, not the control arm.  Factory tires are 265/70/18s.  I wanted to go to a 275/70/18 or maybe even a 275/75/18 but it seems like the tire is too wide as is.  No other changes/mods and the truck was aligned by the dealer after installation.  

To alleviate the rubbing with the stock tires I added a 1/4" wheel spacers to the front (per Motofab's advice) and added masking tape to where the sidewall was contacting the control arm and the rubbing stopped - thankfully. The rubbing only occurred when in full lock on uneven ground before the spacers were added, after there hasn't been any sign on the tape. The spacer has worked but now I feel stuck with the 265 width and limited selection of taller tires (only ones I can find are 265/70/18 and there aren't a lot) and didn't know the wheel spacers would have been necessary.    I heard the tires may have soft sidewalls but I can't imagine this being too much of an issue.

Anyone have the same issues?  What are your running on stock rims? Ideas or help?

thanks in advance!

I had stock tires  (265/65/18) on 18" rims with a 2" motofab leveling kit under the strut on the lower control arm on my 2015 Z71.  I never experienced rubbing issues; however, I did have some issues with ball joints and cv joints when making tight turns while in 4wd. I switched last year to the bilstein leveling shocks and am now running Cooper Discover AT3 XLT (275/70/18). I still don't have any rubbing issues.  All that to say i don't have any issues going to a larger tire on a leveling kit.

Thank you for the info - did you need to program the truck for the larger tires for speedo and brakes?

I'm wondering if the control arms are the same on the 2018 as the 2015.

I have a buddy that has a 2013 regular cab short bed and he has a different control arm assembly.  Here is the kit I had installed, I realize there are different type of leveling kits.  

Chevy/GMC Leveling Kits - Front Kits - 07-19 Chevy GMC Silverado / Sierra 1500 2.0" Front Leveling Lift Kit LM

my 2017 had 20s on good year 275/55/20  20x9 from factory. im on moto metal 20x10 w 33x12.5s now but i did do a bds 4" lift . google tire calculator. its great help.. plug in ur stock size and wanted size an all the specs pop up.. i found it super helpful.. good luck..

Thanks Guys....yes nice truck, that's the look I'm going for jscottl.  I have the rig only Graphite Metallic - your tire and rims really change the appearance.  Sweet!!

Looks like you have a 2" level on the front as well??  Did you need to reset the speedo or program with the bigger tires?

The stock tires really stunk in the snow last year - they don't like the slushy snow so the ABS lets you keep on rolling....

The other reason I'm going through this is my last Silverado went through 2 air dams on hunting excursions - ouch....

4 hours ago, Z71 Fisherman said:

Thanks Guys....yes nice truck, that's the look I'm going for jscottl.  I have the rig only Graphite Metallic - your tire and rims really change the appearance.  Sweet!!

Looks like you have a 2" level on the front as well??  Did you need to reset the speedo or program with the bigger tires?

The stock tires really stunk in the snow last year - they don't like the slushy snow so the ABS lets you keep on rolling....

The other reason I'm going through this is my last Silverado went through 2 air dams on hunting excursions - ouch....

Kit is Rough Country 2.5" front/1" rear.

https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-1305-10.html

I haven't touched the speedo. From what I can ell if it is off it's not by much.