New header install

What’s up Znation, this is my first post and new to the the site I recently Installed a set of speed engineering headers the install was perfect I hook them up to a 3 inch true dual exhaust to A 2in 2out Flowmaster muffler.  I also removed the old muffler valve but I still have this vibration/flapping sound inside of my cabin does anybody else have a similar experience after installing a set of headers and new exhaust I still have not tuned the truck  so it still switches from v4 to v8 But I was wondering  if a proper computer and Dyno tune might set her straight? I appreciate anybody’s  input thank you! 

On 9/1/2019 at 2:28 AM, Znation said:

What’s up Znation, this is my first post and new to the the site I recently Installed a set of speed engineering headers the install was perfect I hook them up to a 3 inch true dual exhaust to A 2in 2out Flowmaster muffler.  I also removed the old muffler valve but I still have this vibration/flapping sound inside of my cabin does anybody else have a similar experience after installing a set of headers and new exhaust I still have not tuned the truck  so it still switches from v4 to v8 But I was wondering  if a proper computer and Dyno tune might set her straight? I appreciate anybody’s  input thank you! 

Turning off the AFM/DOD is certainly going to help keep your engine safe and sounding great. However, Unless you’re doing E-85, meth or a few more mods I would just get a AFM/DOD device.

You won’t really get a noticeable difference for the cost of a full Dyno tune with just headers.  You might pull out 15-20 wheel HP. Unless you get a great deal (less than $500). 

If you want to get your bang for the $$ grab yourself a 95mm TB, port your intake, install a CAI and add E or Meth then tune.  You’ll have an entirely different animal. 

Thanks for the post denalix14 before going on the dyno it’s upgrading new CAI, ported l86 manifold & l86 throttle body, RX CATCHCAN and I am planning on switching to e85. My main concern is that I get rid of this flapping/vibration with a proper tune after the mods. What type of setup are you running?

10 hours ago, Znation said:

Thanks for the post denalix14 before going on the dyno it’s upgrading new CAI, ported l86 manifold & l86 throttle body, RX CATCHCAN and I am planning on switching to e85. My main concern is that I get rid of this flapping/vibration with a proper tune after the mods. What type of setup are you running?

It should go away. I don't have AFM, I have a 5" exhaust and I'm putting out some serious airflow with zero drone. 

I replaced my 6.2L for a Texas Speed and Performance built 7.0 (427 cid) Boost motor then added a Borg Warner s480 sxe turbo. 

Before that I had TSP 1 7/8" Long tube header to 3" tubs with a Flowmaster exhaust. 

Thanks for the words of hope brother lol like you say after a good tune it should act accordingly and thanks for the videos man you got a sweet set up call you fastnali! Forced induction is in the plans for down the road for me 

On 9/8/2019 at 1:33 AM, Znation said:

Thanks for the words of hope brother lol like you say after a good tune it should act accordingly and thanks for the videos man you got a sweet set up call you fastnali! Forced induction is in the plans for down the road for me 

Rock on, it's the way to go IMO. My set up was a 100% custom job however, kits now a days are much much less expensive than they were. You can get a Armageddon twin turbo set up all in for like $8k and have the ability to jack up the boost without having to order new belts, pulleys etc. Also, unlike a SC, you can brake boost for insta power or drive normal and not break your neck with 1000 whp. 

On 9/6/2019 at 8:55 PM, Znation said:

Hope to see your results since mine is very similar and I haven't dynoed it yet unfortunately.

I drove my truck a couple times before my tune was installed after headers and yes the helicopter sound known as v4 was amplified significantly.  The AFM delete will take care of it.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:11 PM, DenaliX14 said:

Turning off the AFM/DOD is certainly going to help keep your engine safe and sounding great. However, Unless you’re doing E-85, meth or a few more mods I would just get a AFM/DOD device.

You won’t really get a noticeable difference for the cost of a full Dyno tune with just headers.  You might pull out 15-20 wheel HP. Unless you get a great deal (less than $500). 

If you want to get your bang for the $$ grab yourself a 95mm TB, port your intake, install a CAI and add E or Meth then tune.  You’ll have an entirely different animal. 

My 0-60 wen from 5.8 to 5.0 with just a tune. I still have 0 performance mods.

tune is by far the best bang for you buck performance mod regardless of other mods. Crazy to suggest he not get one with headers on!

Edited by truckguy82

43 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

My 0-60 wen from 5.8 to 5.0 with just a tune. I still have 0 performance mods.

tune is by far the best bang for you buck performance mod regardless of other mods. Crazy to suggest he not get one with headers on!

WOW!!!!! ? you shaved almost a second off your 0-60 with no mods and just a tune, cool. Sounds like you have a god behind your tune. Good for you ?!!??.

"Bang for your buck" is relative and will depend on the cost and quality of your tune or mods. I don't know what any of you spent on tunes if you even got a tune on your vehicle. 

In MA the cheapest I could get for a tune was $1,500 with NO mods. When I started adding on my exhaust, headers, mid-pipe and CAI it cost me over $2,500 (Quote from the shop).  For me, at the time, adding on mods that stated "Bolt On Performance" i.e no tune and letting the truck adapt over time was more bang for my buck then tune later for a final product. 

I'd much rather bolt on mods that will add efficiency/power and tune at one time then tune with nothing, add mods and tune all over again.  But.....again, that depends on how much the tuner charges and how good "they" are. 

2 hours ago, DenaliX14 said:

WOW!!!!! ? you shaved almost a second off your 0-60 with no mods and just a tune, cool. Sounds like you have a god behind your tune. Good for you ?!!??.

"Bang for your buck" is relative and will depend on the cost and quality of your tune or mods. I don't know what any of you spent on tunes if you even got a tune on your vehicle. 

In MA the cheapest I could get for a tune was $1,500 with NO mods. When I started adding on my exhaust, headers, mid-pipe and CAI it cost me over $2,500 (Quote from the shop).  For me, at the time, adding on mods that stated "Bolt On Performance" i.e no tune and letting the truck adapt over time was more bang for my buck then tune later for a final product. 

I'd much rather bolt on mods that will add efficiency/power and tune at one time then tune with nothing, add mods and tune all over again.  But.....again, that depends on how much the tuner charges and how good "they" are. 

My tune was $600 including the handheld device, it was street tuned in person by blackbear. The tune itself was only $300, and they will adjust the tune unlimited times for free in the future should I have any additional mods, and this is from one of the most reputable tuner in the country.

$1500 for a tune is bonkers. I’ve been modding cars for a long time and have never heard of that unless they are welding in an 02 bung for a wideband or you have a highly highly modified vehicle and it’s not really just a tune, its more like a tune and make physical adjustments to the car.

Edited by truckguy82

34 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

My tune was $600 including the handheld device, it was street tuned in person by blackbear. The tune itself was only $300, and they will adjust the tune unlimited times for free in the future should I have any additional mods, and this is from one of the most reputable tuner in the country.

$1500 for a tune is bonkers. I’ve been modding cars for a long time and have never heard of that unless they are welding in an 02 bung for a wideband or you have a highly highly modified vehicle and it’s not really just a tune, its more like a tune and make physical adjustments to the car.

That’s New England for you. 

21 minutes ago, DenaliX14 said:

That’s New England for you. 

Blackbear is from cali, he fly’s across the country and sets appointments for street tunes. He is by a massive margin the most popular gm truck tuner.

Been on car forums with heavy interest in highly modified cars for 20 years now. I have heard countless stories and builds from all across the country. I’ve still have never heard of a tune alone costing $1500. It is not your area.

Edited by truckguy82