2.5" Receiver

Hey guys.  Many of you may know this but it was new to me as my old diesel still had the 2" receiver.  Found out when I went to hook up a trailer that it had a 2.5" receiver so my hitch wouldn't fit.  There is however a reducer that I found in the truck.  So make sure you look for that if you need it.  I will be buying a 2.5" hitch this week but they are not open today. Even my old locking pin wouldn't fit.

And a picture because I can't stop looking at this thing.  LOL 

IMG_9765.jpg

Edited by Chrisw253
  • Haha 1

Yeah I ran into the same issue with my last truck, locking pin wouldn’t fit.  I used the reducer sleeve for a while though until I actually needed a new hitch, it doesn’t decrease the towing capacities of your current hitch so I just bought a new pin.

I actually considered buying my new hitch in a 2” as well and continuing to use the reducer so it could be used with other receivers if necessary but I ended up getting a 2 1/2.

Edited by brclark82

I use a weigh safe hitch with a 2.5" receiver and it is great; easy to swap from 2" to 2 5/16" ball and I always know the tongue weight of anything I am towing.   If you need something new to fit the bigger receiver I would at least give one a look.  They are fairly spendy but good quality.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2019 at 1:02 PM, redwngr said:

2.5" receiver was introduced on the HD's for MY2011

It was actually before that. My 2007 Sierra 2500 NBS (not the classic that was also available in MY2007) had a 2.5” receiver and came with an adapter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JW2020 said:

It was actually before that. My 2007 Sierra 2500 NBS (not the classic that was also available in MY2007) had a 2.5” receiver and came with an adapter.

Thanks for posting.

I had a 2010 HD and I couldn't remember if it was 2.5" or not, but I'm positive the '11 was.

bullet proof hitches only way to go.... I like overkill so I have the 36,000 lbs extreme duty, what i'm curious about is if they fixed the openings for the safety chain hooks on the 2020's... 

Edited by xps800doo

9 hours ago, redwngr said:

Might be easier to change the hooks on the end of the chains....

find hooks that fit and are rated at 14k plus im all in! I have the shackle "fix" going on now to get me by, but not able to use my receiver lock with the shackles... 

• Like 1